Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: National Championships Qualifiers - Second Section

Hmmm... is my initial thought!
    Rachael
    Percussion

tMP Senior Friend
    Camborne in the promised land of Cornwall
    Take a look at www.nationalbrassbandchampionships.com for more info Ta tubbytuba

So what is it like? Are there any recordings of it and have any of you seen the score yet?

I Use tMP Webhosting
    Not seen a score yet - have it on order through Band Supplies- anyone else recieved their copy yet?
    Dave Nichols

Enjoying a well earned break from banding

tMP Senior Friend
    I reckon its going to be heavy going for my section (basses) reading the write up on the national brassband web site it just gives me that impression lol

Hopefully we get to take at look through it tonight if it has arrived in time. Its our MD`s last rehearsal for 5 weeks so he wants to see it before he goes away.

Well it didn`t arrive in time but I have the score now and a quick flick through looks like no one has any major solo stuff - just odd few bars here and there for everybody including the glock. And flugel part is either a 4th horn or a 4th cornet. Never seen so many long long semibreves on low C apart from a warm up. Not that I am complaining. Much. Sigh. Never mind. I`m sure we will spend many happy hours on it...

ps tubby I reckon you KNEW what piece it was as the basses and bass trombone do indeed look busy.

pps hope you all have mutes ready everybody
    Last edited by Mesmerist; 11.06.2009 at 23:35.

tMP Friend
    We played through it last week at rehearsals. Interesting???? Not as technically challenging as New world sketches from the areas or a big blow with Crusades from Skegness. So its all down to interpretation and figuring out what the man in the tent is looking for?
    Yep. I feel many a hour spent with a bar by bar look at this one!!!!!
    good luck to all with it!

tMP Senior Friend
    I think we are going to take a look at it tonight!!! I did see the Euph part and blimey that last movement is going to motor i think. Hey Messi honest i didnt know but reading the write up gave me some clues,also as the test pieces get harder the basses do normally work much harder lol,lots of sweat and swearing!!!

Mr Sykes came in on thursday and we had our very first rehearsal on the piece. He said that we would find this easy compared to last years 3rd section final (Suite for Brass) and so it would seem. No doubt it will be like Dark Side of the Moon which got progressively harder the more we worked on it. 2nd Movement is nice would you all agree? I will admit to being slightly disappointed that it is not more technical but there is a lot of interpretation and style to get right and you can all jeer if we come last after I said its too easy.

2nd movement is lovely! Not sure about the 3rd movement, I find it hard to listen to from where I sit so perhaps its different for the man in the middle. It has one of those endings that you don't expect, you think it's going to go on for a bit more.
    Rachael
    Percussion

Quote Originally Posted by Mesmerist View Post
    2nd Movement is nice would you all agree?
    Aye, some nice stuff in there. We've only had a couple of run-throughs so far, and that'll probably be it for the next month or so as we have another contest to prepare for, but first impressions on the 2 outer movements are that I hope they're gonna grow on me!

tMP Senior Friend
    Thought we were going to give it ago in the week but forgot it was Bugle build up and a super result again for Camborne Youth(winners by 2 clear points in the youth section) Anyway its on for tmmrw and armed with my new tuba i cant wait lol!!!

tMP Friend
    Another run through over last thursday and all of a sudden it just got harder. Lots of little things going on around me!
    Plenty of time to September to get it into your head and your interpretation together in the dark, misterious world of the rehearsal room!

Our MD is away until mid July so we have divided our time. Mondays is concert stuff with Col Chris Davis and every other thursday will be Test Piece with Mr Steve Sykes. Not sure who is guesting this thursday but it won`t be a contest rehearsal til Steve or David take us. Quite glad really as technically we have cracked it Ha ha ha ha...famous last words and all that! Like euphymike I think this is going to get harder the more we delve into it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast