Thread: Midland area 4th section 1977

Midland area 4th section 1977

Just reading about the number of bands that have played in 4th section this year ive a Programme in front of me now from Midland Area Saturday 30/April/1977 price 15p.
    When it was held at De Montford Hall &Wyggeston Girls College Leicester.
    That day 20 bands played in 4th section i played in my school band on Solo Baritone with test piece been Hungarian Fantasy by Albert Jakeway prize money been
    1st prize £45,2nd£25 and 3rd £20.
    Adjudicator was Peter Kitson.
    bands were;
    Ashbourne T. Chadwick
    Barlestone Victoria J .Talbott
    Bridgnorth &District D.Short
    Hathersage J.Cooper
    Horncastle Silver G.Moralee
    Hucknall/Linby MW B.Wilkinson
    Kettering Gold & Silver A.Hounsome
    Leicester Foresters NO 2 A.Roe
    Long Eaton Silver E.Beadley
    Pleasley Colliery G.Lee
    Royal Leamington Spa P.Russell
    Rushden Mission E.Denton
    Ruston-Bucyrus G.Simpson
    Shipton Town R.Nash
    Shire Brook Miners Welfare S.Appleton
    Shire Oak School Brass M.Ridley
    Stanton(under Bardon) P.Lewcey
    Stourport Youth G.Jackson
    Tideswell A.Jackson
    Wolverhampton Brass E.Stephens
    Cant remeber the first 3 but there was no break for the 1 adjudicator.
    Question;
    If you/any relations played at this particular 4th section contest in this year what band did you/they play for?
    I was playing for Shire Oak School Band and the senior band whom i was a member of the junior band Walsall Metropoliotan Band WON 3rd section that year and went on to WIN 3rd Section National Final playing 2nd Baritone of that year which i played in and was my first contest with senior band what a start to senior band debut!!!!!!
    Looking forward to 2013 with so much in stall

moved to new thread in Rehearsal Room
    Last edited by Jan H; 17.03.2009 at 18:13.

tMP Friend in Training
    77 Regionals was my first full year of contesting - I played second (or may be third) Eb Bass for Hucknall-Linby (now Newstead when renamed following pit closures) and according to my programme we came third behind Tideswell and Stourport Youth with Hathersage fourth. No 4BR or equivalent in those days so only the secretary ever got the full results when the grading tables came out and didn't share them with us pre- and young-teenagers... Memory recalls that this was part of a run of about 13 consecutive podium finishes for the band (my first 13 contests) and we went on to finish fourth in London (at the Hammersmith town hall).

The winning band in each section at the area got £45 which has increased by 344% to £200 in 2009, whilst the programme price has gone up 1200 % from 15p to £2, although I suppose part of this is the additional costs of the second adjudicator (introduced in the 1980s(?) after sustained requests from midlands bands) impacting on the money available for the prize fund. I wonder what the entry fee was in 1977?

Note that as well as 20 bands in section 4 at that area there were 15 in the Championship (Pageantry), 18 in section 2 (Morning Rhapsody) and 15 in section 3 (Rococo Variations [Alan Street not Edward Gregson], total 68 bands from what appears to be the same geographic boundary as present (unless bands from Buxton / Glossop area went to North West?) compared with 77 entered this year so that's at least one inflationary figure to be welcomed.

I've probably got the midland's area programme for every year since 1977 if you're still awake having read this far...

tMP Friend in Training
    Anyone happen to have a 1971 Midland Area program ? I need one for research into my grandfather.....sorry to jump in on your thread Ian. My old band RLSSB is on the list but I was too young to be playing !
    Nikki T
    Second Horn / Solo Horn - Avonbank Brass Band
    Random horn playing dep for any band that will have me

Quote Originally Posted by ian perks View Post
    Just reading about the number of bands that have played in 4th section this year ive a Programme in front of me now from Midland Area Saturday 30/April/1977 price 15p.
    When it was held at De Montford Hall &Wyggeston Girls College Leicester.
    That day 20 bands played in 4th section i played in my school band on Solo Baritone with test piece been Hungarian Fantasy by Albert Jakeway prize money been
    1st prize £45,2nd£25 and 3rd £20.
    Adjudicator was Peter Kitson.
    bands were;
    Ashbourne T. Chadwick
    Barlestone Victoria J .Talbott
    Bridgnorth &District D.Short
    Hathersage J.Cooper
    Horncastle Silver G.Moralee
    Hucknall/Linby MW B.Wilkinson
    Kettering Gold & Silver A.Hounsome
    Leicester Foresters NO 2 A.Roe
    Long Eaton Silver E.Beadley
    Pleasley Colliery G.Lee
    Royal Leamington Spa P.Russell
    Rushden Mission E.Denton
    Ruston-Bucyrus G.Simpson
    Shipton Town R.Nash
    Shire Brook Miners Welfare S.Appleton
    Shire Oak School Brass M.Ridley
    Stanton(under Bardon) P.Lewcey
    Stourport Youth G.Jackson
    Tideswell A.Jackson
    Wolverhampton Brass E.Stephens
    Cant remeber the first 3 but there was no break for the 1 adjudicator.
    Question;
    If you/any relations played at this particular 4th section contest in this year what band did you/they play for?
    I was playing for Shire Oak School Band and the senior band whom i was a member of the junior band Walsall Metropoliotan Band WON 3rd section that year and went on to WIN 3rd Section National Final playing 2nd Baritone of that year which i played in and was my first contest with senior band what a start to senior band debut!!!!!!

Good grief where are all those bands now be interesting to find out.
    Band Manager Bestwood Black Diamonds

"I can vouch that the band is a great bunch. You will be made very welcome and the socials are legendary!"
    Sparkling Quavers Ex-member BBD

tMP Senior Friend Keith Stanley James Lever's Avatar
    Just out of interest which bands were playing in the Third Section of that contest.

I've probably got the midland's area programme for every year since 1977 if you're still awake having read this far... [/quote]

Then you might be able to help me work out when I last went to the National Finals - it was with Pearson Pottery (Chesterfield) Band between 1988 and 1990. We played at Hammersmith Town Hall but I'm ashamed to say I can't remember the test piece although I do think it was in the third section. If you get a minute to look at the programme...that would be great. I wish i'd kept my programmes now!

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki T View Post
    Anyone happen to have a 1971 Midland Area program ? I need one for research into my grandfather.....sorry to jump in on your thread Ian. My old band RLSSB is on the list but I was too young to be playing !
    I'm afraid I don't have a spare copy of the 1971 Midland Area program but I do have spares of various other contests from the late 60's early 70's if these are of any use (including some British Open).

If anyone else is interested let me know and I'll let you have a list of what I have.

Incidently I also played at the Fourth Section contest in 1977 with Rushden Mission Band - they are still going but they do not contest now.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliebone View Post

I've probably got the midland's area programme for every year since 1977 if you're still awake having read this far...

Then you might be able to help me work out when I last went to the National Finals - it was with Pearson Pottery (Chesterfield) Band between 1988 and 1990. We played at Hammersmith Town Hall but I'm ashamed to say I can't remember the test piece although I do think it was in the third section. If you get a minute to look at the programme...that would be great. I wish i'd kept my programmes now![/QUOTE]

88 Cassation D Barry
    89 Occasion E Gregson
    90 Music for a Festival P Sparke
    Richard Walker
    Lead Alto - Bone On Trombone Choir

"Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water." --W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stanley James Lever View Post
    Just out of interest which bands were playing in the Third Section of that contest.
    Hi Keith well here is a list of the bands from 3rd section of that year.
    Test Piece;Rococo Variations -Allan Street
    Adjudicator ;George Thompson.
    Draw 9.00 am Commence 9.30am
    Saturday 30th April

Amington G.Turner
    Bilton Silver(Rugby) D.Game
    Brigg V.East
    Carlton B.Nolan
    City Of Leicester C.I. I.Bartram
    Cleethorpes A.Weston
    Corby Beanfield School D.Manning
    Daventry Silver C.Yorath 2nd 187
    Dunchurch A.Stagg
    Hathern G.Gossage
    Long Lea Valley D.Pritchett 3rd 183
    Matlock M.Slater
    Newark Town M.Hancock
    South Derbyshire Miners D.Boddice
    Walsall Metropolitan (2 draw) Peter Bright 1st 190*

Went on to become 3rd Section National Champions of that year 1977
    It was also a double celebration as well on 30th April 1977 of that year as it was my Grandfathers 70th Birthday who was Publicity Officer for the band
    Looking forward to 2013 with so much in stall

tMP Master Friend
    [quote=iWalsall Metropoliotan Band WON 3rd section that year and went on to WIN 3rd Section National Final playing 2nd Baritone of that year which i played in and was my first contest with senior band what a start to senior band debut!

Although I did not play for the 'area' with Walsall (I played with Amington), I was lucky enough to play Principal Euphonium for them at the finals. I say that I was 'lucky' but most people forget that I had a major lung operation in May of that year and was told that I should leave playing alone. Peter Bright had just offered me the position and I was intent on taking it. 1O days after my op', I was back in the saddle,as well as my brother Matt, who was on Flugel, he was 15, I was 19.
    I was never given any special treatment, usually the opposite, my a** was often kicked!
    Our dad, Harry Smith, was deeply involved with the band, as well as Association Secretary and Treasurer of the BFBB. Sadly, he died in the January of that year, so it was very mixed fortunes for the Smiths!
    The test piece for the finals 'Rhapsody on British seasongs' was a mare on the euph part. Triplet runs of demi-semi quavers, at a fair lick - and I HAD to play them - or else!
    We pulled it off and the band never looked back.
    As Staffordshire Band, they continue to be one of the most respected of the Midand outfits and long may it remain so!
    My association with Ian and his family has continued ever since, even being next-door neighbours for the past 22 years!
    euphful

I played with Long Eaton that year along with my brother carl!!! and the conductor was Ted Bradley
    satchmo shaz
    MD Long Eaton Silver Prize Band
    www.lespb.co.uk

tMP Master Friend
    Upon my return to Amington in 82/83, the band had been relegated to 4th section and I seem to remember the section for the Area being massive.
    Can someone confirm the 4th section numbers for 82 and 83?
    Although we did okay in my initial Area contest, we changed Musical Director to Allan Morris, who had been doing great things with Coleshill Band.
    The band never looked back. We won nearly everything we went to, promotions through to the top section in consecutive years, obviously Finals in those years, plus Pontins titles/qualifications in those years also.
    The band held it's own for 3 years in the Championship Section but Allan's decision to retire saw the beginning of the end for this pinnacle period.
    Despite valiant efforts from several top names in the middle, we lost our way and also our large sponsorship from Triman (gained in the top section), and the band eventually returned to the 4th section.
    Wes Kendrick is doing an excellent job of regenerating the band, and over the past 3-4 years they have once again been showing the determination to return to former glories.
    euphful

tMP Senior Friend

Midlands Area

Hi

I played along with my brother for the now long gone Long Lea Valley Band and we were lucky enough to come third and also made the trip to the finals - thats it then I must officially be old.

Long Lea were a great band based in Langley Mill, Nottinghamshire, making the decision to end around 15 years ago after falling member numbers

Melanie

tMP Master Friend
    [quote=Hornted;656730]Hi

I played along with my brother for the now long gone Long Lea Valley Band and we were lucky enough to come third and also made the trip to the finals - thats it then I must officially be old.
    Melanie[/quote

Read the 'snow joke' thread Mel.
    I am struggling to contain my frustration at some aspects of society's attitude to age.
    You are not getting old, just wise and experienced! lol
    euphful