Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Regionals 2009: Third Section Test Piece: The Once and Future King, Andrew Baker

tMP Friend for Life Anno Draconis's Avatar
    This is a bit last minute I know, and a shameless bit of self-promotion, BUT if you enjoyed The Once and Future King:

[plug]

Another of my pieces will receive its broadcast premiere tonight on Listen to the Band - The Singing Stones is a tuned percussion solo written for Sarah Burn of Leyland Band, who feature in tonight's programme. Worth a listen just for the virtuoso xylo/vibraphone playing, even if you're heartily sick of my stuff after the Areas! Many thanks to Jason, Sarah and Leyland for including in tonight's programme as well as a number of recent concerts

[/plug]
    Andrew Baker

Quote Originally Posted by Anno Draconis View Post
    This is a bit last minute I know, and a shameless bit of self-promotion, BUT if you enjoyed The Once and Future King:

[plug]

Another of my pieces will receive its broadcast premiere tonight on Listen to the Band - The Singing Stones is a tuned percussion solo written for Sarah Burn of Leyland Band, who feature in tonight's programme. Worth a listen just for the virtuoso xylo/vibraphone playing, even if you're heartily sick of my stuff after the Areas! Many thanks to Jason, Sarah and Leyland for including in tonight's programme as well as a number of recent concerts

[/plug]
    Andy

Just listened to it and really enjoyed it (as I did Once and Future King), well done. Sarah Burn played it brilliantly.
    Martin Pearce
    Regent Brass - Solo Horn

Too Young to be old

tMP Senior Friend
    Our band just played Once and Future King at a concert. It went down quite well and it was wonderful to play it again.

It is a shame so many test pieces end up in the library awaiting the possibility of being used at a contest in a decade or so.

I wondered how the performance was compared to the Regional though...

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Our band just played Once and Future King at a concert. It went down quite well and it was wonderful to play it again.

It is a shame so many test pieces end up in the library awaiting the possibility of being used at a contest in a decade or so.
    Well the 2 adjudicators at our area midlands(Mr Hardy& Wormald) said it is a great piece to even play at a concert and to explain what each movement is about to audience so they could get the picture of what it was about.
    Looking forward to 2013 with so much in stall

tMP Senior Friend
    Anyone at all interested in Once And Future King will enjoy the BBC Radio 4 programme:

Smash Hit of 1453

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rt921

And go to the Listen Again facility (available for until 17th April 2010)

[Gratuitous Self Publicity]

For those of you who enjoyed playing The Once and Future King, you may be interested (or not ) to learn that an orchestral transcription of it (by John Bryant, many thanks John ) will feature in the programme of music for the National Childrens' Under-12s Orchestra course this week. I haven't researched this in great depth, but to my knowledge this is the first orchestral transcription of a brass band work for quite some time - I think the last one may have been Downland Suite. Anyone know any more recent ones?

[\Gratuitous Self Publicity]
    Andrew Baker

Quote Originally Posted by Anno Draconis View Post
    [Gratuitous Self Publicity]

For those of you who enjoyed playing The Once and Future King, you may be interested (or not ) to learn that an orchestral transcription of it (by John Bryant, many thanks John ) will feature in the programme of music for the National Childrens' Under-12s Orchestra course this week. I haven't researched this in great depth, but to my knowledge this is the first orchestral transcription of a brass band work for quite some time - I think the last one may have been Downland Suite. Anyone know any more recent ones?

[\Gratuitous Self Publicity]
    In addition to my brass and wind-band versions of "Euphonium Music", on sale from Winwood Music, the same publisher has an orchestral version on hire only.
    Brian Bowen

Thanks Brian, of course I should have realised that there would be some concerto-type works that have undergone the band-to-orchestra conversion.

There are a lot of links between Dances and Arias and Gregson's Concerto for Orchestra, but I'm not sure which came first and although they share material it certainly isn't a transcription.

Any others?
    Andrew Baker

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    Resurgam went from band to orchestra didn't it?

Pretty sure that was done a while ago though.
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bowen View Post
    In addition to my brass and wind-band versions of "Euphonium Music", on sale from Winwood Music, the same publisher has an orchestral version on hire only.
    Going off topic, but I aways loved that piece Brian!
    Duncan Wilson
    MD, Kidlington Concert Brass, L&SC 1st Section Champions 2013!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11