Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Adjudicator's comments on audience reaction.

tMP Prime Friend Masterblaster jnr's Avatar
    and Mr Wormald is a school teacher is he not. And surely he has the nouse to realise there will be a large proportion of kids in the 4th section, so saying what he did, the way he did is just plain stupid. Also, i feel there would have been a proportion of errors down to nerves, everyone get's nervous. I'm sure he wouldn't like the prospect of a solo knowing that if he makes an error, his judge will 'rip his head off'.

Completely unnecessary
    Jonathan Bates
    Principal Horn - Black Dyke Band
    Composer, Arranger, Conductor.

www.jonathanbates.co.uk

He's just doing this as there hasnt been many press releases in 4br about what he's doing in work this week.....!!
    Willie Ralston
    Bb Bass
    Campbeltown Brass
    Scottish 3rd Section Champions 2007
    Scottish 2nd Section Champions 2008!!!
    "Tartan Brass" Whit Friday Tartan Army!!
    YABB

tMP Prime Friend Masterblaster jnr's Avatar
    http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2008/art899.asp

Well 4br have mentioned Skelmanthorpe B's audience as well. What is the obsession?!!!!!
    Jonathan Bates
    Principal Horn - Black Dyke Band
    Composer, Arranger, Conductor.

www.jonathanbates.co.uk

tMP Friend
    It's one of those daft "top of the head" comments that makes no sense. The adjudicator doesn't know what the audience is applauding; it may not be the standard of the music. It could be anything - overwhelming pride in a friend's work, an eight year old's first contest or just plain recognition of hard work and overcoming difficulties to get to Harrogate. The pleasure of the audience isn't within the dictat of the adjudicator, thank goodness, otherwise we'd only be allowed to applaud "perfect renditions". When you're in a little box, it must be easy to become a bit too introspective and imagine that everyone on the outside is assessing in the same way as you are.

I wasn't there, but I know that all the bands deserved their applause. And here's some more

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obi-wan johnny View Post
    Whatever the reason for enthusiastic applause, it shouldn't be complained about. How many times have we sat and played - in contests! - to three men and a dog, only to be applauded by the conductor and the dog at the end of the piece? We complain about that - let's not complain about too much encouragement from the audience.

Unless that is it's in a "Jerry Springer" type of fashion!
    I certainly agree with this. I don't think applause, (or a lack of it) genuinely affects the result of contests as our current crop of adjudicators will have heard it all before.

However when it's the band who start the clapping and cheering - as Black Dyke have previous form for doing at Yorkshire areas, then I take issue with it.

By all means be proud in your performance, you're one of (probably) the top two bands out there. But don't go nuts about yourselves or what's the point in having an audience? Might as well play in the bandroom and all cheer each other. There really is no need.
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

[quote=Thirteen Ball;627752]
    However when it's the band who start the clapping and cheering, then I take issue with it.

Sorry Andi, I have to take exception with you there.

As you know, I made my Albert Hall debut last year and had one or two little solos to play. Thankfully, I just about got through them unscathed. At the end of the performance Jim (Davies, our MD at the time) stood up each soloist in turn. As I stood up, the whole of the band cheered and clapped - a very, very humbling experience and a moment i'll cherish until my dying breath. We didn't win, we weren't even in the prizes, but i was one of the proudest players in the hall that day, just because my collegues clapped and cheered my performance. I'd hate that to be taken away and other people denied the pleasure i gained from the experience, just because someone thinks its wrong for bandmen (and women) to acknowlege each others performance.
    Last edited by agentorange; 03.10.2008 at 18:06. Reason: spelling error
    Agent Orange
    Solo Euphonium.
    EYMS Band

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    [QUOTE=agentorange;627778]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen Ball View Post
    However when it's the band who start the clapping and cheering, then I take issue with it.

Sorry Andi, I have to take exception with you there.

As you know, I made my Albert Hall debut last year and had one or two little solos to play. Thankfully, I just about got through them unscathed. At the end of the performance Jim (Davies, our MD at the time) stood up each soloist in turn. As I stood up, the whole of the band cheered and clapped - a very, very humbling experience and a moment i'll cherish until my dying breath. We didn't win, we weren't even in the prizes, but i was one of the proudest players in the hall that day, just because my collegues clapped and cheered my performance. I'd hate that to be taken away and other people denied the pleasure i gained from the experience, just because someone thinks its wrong for bandmen (and women) to acknowlege each others performance.
    Sorry Neil, I didn't in any way intend to detract from that and I certainly didn't mean my post to come accross in that way. I was listening to you at the time and you certainly deserved every last decibel of applause that reached your ears - as did every other player for EYMS that day!

However the audience reaction to your performance was entirely their own - and they quite rightly loved it. And here is the point - it wasn't in any way engineered by the band starting the applause and cheers two bars before the end of the piece - as I have previously encountered.

If the conductor stands a solist up and the band applauds, that's different - and fully justified, as they are applauding the player on a fine performance - and it would be churlish not to do so.

In my prior example it struck me the band were applauding themselves in order to solicit more reaction from the audience - which is surely not cricket.

In no way intended as a detrimental remark to your achievement.
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2