Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Denis Wick Heritage Cornet Mouthpieces

tMP Friend in Training

Denis Wick Heritage Cornet Mouthpieces

Hi,

I use Denis Wick 3, 4, 4B, and 4B Heavytop. I like Denis Wick mouthpieces very much. Now that Denis Wick Heritage Cornet mouthpieces are available, I would like to add a Denis Wick Heritage Cornet 4W to my collection. Has anyone used the Denis Wick Heritage mouthpieces and how do they compare? Thank you very much!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

As you can see, the design is completely different to the heavytop models and I would say has more in common with the defunkt kosicup models of years ago. Thinner walls produce different resonances under volume so you better try one out to see if it complements your playing style and instrument.
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

I have swapped from a heavytop to a Heritage and it is AWESOME - fuller tone, more responsive - am never going back.

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by brassneck View Post

As you can see, the design is completely different to the heavytop models and I would say has more in common with the defunkt kosicup models of years ago. Thinner walls produce different resonances under volume so you better try one out to see if it complements your playing style and instrument.
    Brassneck,

Yes, you are correct. It is a mouthpiece to be tried before purchase. The premise sounds good, but performance issues have to be considered for the individual player.

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Lloyd

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpetmike View Post
    I have swapped from a heavytop to a Heritage and it is AWESOME - fuller tone, more responsive - am never going back.

TrumpetMike,

I like my heavytop 4B, so the Heritage does sound awesome. I think that I might be more comfortable with the 4W or 4BW, but my local dealer hasn't received those wide sizes in the USA yet. Hoping that if the wider rim becomes available, it will be more comfortable to play.

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Lloyd

tMP Friend Welsheuphoniummanjamie's Avatar
    I used the heritage trombone/euphonium mouthpiece, at first it felt amazing, really felt in control of the instrument, until bout 3/4months then i started having problems with my teeth, i thought this was just me, but after asking other players using the same mouthpiece they seemed to be getting similar problems! have any cornet players experience similar problems?
    James Jones

If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, why practice?

Quote Originally Posted by lmf View Post
    Brassneck,

Yes, you are correct. It is a mouthpiece to be tried before purchase. The premise sounds good, but performance issues have to be considered for the individual player.

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Lloyd
    Hi Lloyd, I bought the 2.5 CC tuba mouthpiece as it is based on the Helleberg concept ages ago when they first came out. I thought it would provide an alternative in sound and projection. However, coupled with my Maestro it produced too raw a sound and in that sense, resembled the Conn Helleberg model (both more suited to the BATs). Maybe the smaller sizes (sim. to VB 24AW or DW3L) may respond a little better.
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

is ther a sop version? and anyone tried it?

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Welsheuphoniummanjamie View Post
    I used the heritage trombone/euphonium mouthpiece, at first it felt amazing, really felt in control of the instrument, until bout 3/4months then i started having problems with my teeth, i thought this was just me, but after asking other players using the same mouthpiece they seemed to be getting similar problems! have any cornet players experience similar problems?
    Hi, James,

The affect that such a mouthpiece change on one's teeth would definitely be a concern. It apparently affects the embrochure in ways not earlier known, or the player is changing his manner of playing which may be causing problems. It will be interesting to hear if other players are experiencing teeth problems going from their present mouthpiece to the Heritage.

Thanks for sharing, James!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by brassneck View Post
    Hi Lloyd, I bought the 2.5 CC tuba mouthpiece as it is based on the Helleberg concept ages ago when they first came out. I thought it would provide an alternative in sound and projection. However, coupled with my Maestro it produced too raw a sound and in that sense, resembled the Conn Helleberg model (both more suited to the BATs). Maybe the smaller sizes (sim. to VB 24AW or DW3L) may respond a little better.

Hi, Brassneck,

I had heard as it relates to the cornet mouthpieces that some felt the sound was wonderful when changing to the Heritage line from the standard DW mouthpieces, while others found the tone worse. Certainly, the perception has to be an individual matter. It appears some found the change worthwhile, others didn't. Some are waiting to hear the results others are having? Players will have to 'try before they buy" to be sure. A mouthpiece for a tuba is no small investment financially. One cannot afford to be buying many mouthpieces for tuba.

Thanks for sharing, Brassneck!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sop 1 View Post
    Hi, Sop 1,

It does not appear that Denis Wick has provided the soprano cornet mouthpiece in the Heritage-style yet. It doesn't seem to be listed on its website.

http://www.deniswick.com/index.cfm

Maybe it is being planned for the future?

Thanks for sharing, Sop 1,

Best wishes,

Lloyd

thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by sop 1 View Post
    There has definitely been a prototype (or a few of them) made in the S size.
    I tried one earlier this year and liked it (although I don't like the S size) - good response and a lovely tone, even though it was not my preferred size.

Does anybody know of a supplier reasonably close to Shropshire were i?my nipper could try these mouthpieces.

Abigail lost her mp last week so we need to get another one, and would be interested in trying them

Eb Sop Mouthpiece

In Reply, there is a Size S heritage DW Mouthpiece. Go to www.windcraft.co.uk then onto accessories, Cornet, Mouthpieces and scroll through to find it. They have it for 42.61. As soon as i get paid, i will be bying a Bb 4b one. Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast