By way of an introduction, could you please tell us a little about yourself.
I am a graduate of RNCM and gained an MA in performance from Huddersfield University. My parents have been involved with the Delph Whit Friday Contest for over thirty years and my interest in the contest developed when I started playing at the age of seven. My involvement has increased immensly over the years and the contest has now become a year long family project!

Are you actively involved in playing a brass instrument with any band, or do you simply undertake the web design on behalf of a band/organisation?
I have played cornet with most of the top section bands in the area and am currently with Marsden Silver Band (ironically a band that is well know for its successes in march contests). I am also a tutor to Delph Youth Band.

How did you decide who you were going to approach to set up your www site?
Following the untimely death of our original webmaster, I approached Aspect IT, a local company who supplied our domain name and were brass band followers. They were really helpful and worked with me to design our new site at a minimal cost in a short space of time.

Please can you explain for us how you prepared and planned for the development of the site?
Planning was relatively easy as the content was already there. Pete just updated the information already there, made it more attractive, more user-friendly and added extra pages and links. I tried to provide content for players, general enthusiasts and visitors. The addition of a news-page allowed me to easily update information and photographs on a regular basis.

How closely did you work with the designer of the website?
Most of the planning was done by e-mail bouncing design ideas back and forth but I spent an afternoon with Pete checking on updates etc and looking at future development which will hopefully include an archived picture gallery.

Have any innovative ideas been used on your www site?
Not really. The contest wanted it to be as comprehensive as possible, informative, attractive and easy to use and that is exactly what we got. 'It does exactly what it says on the tin!'.

How long did it actually take to get it built?
The bulk of content needed before Whit Friday took a period of about three weeks on an 'ad-hoc' basis.