Thread: Sibelius question - font sizes

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar

Sibelius question - font sizes

I've just spent the evening putting the finishing touches to a brass band arrangement of Ravel's 'Le tombeau de Couperin' in Sibelius. It's been a long evening, and I'm tired now, and I've run aground on the last problem - I want to create a title page that doesn't suck.

I've created an empty page at the start by hiding the staves, but all the text options available (I am using Sib 2.1) are far too small to be effective, and I cannot find any way of altering the font size within Sibelius. I even tried typing the text in a larger font in MS Word, then copying it over, but Sibelius overrules the font size when you exit the text box.

Any ideas?
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

Make one in powerpoint?

It's what I did till I got sib4
    *Insert Insult Here*

Call me Tone or Either.
    Tenor & AltoTrombone - RWCMD
    If Satan was a musician, He'd play Trombone.
    Also known as HT7

Unfortunately, I never got Sib 2 as it was too clunky for what I needed at the time. Is there an option like the one that lets you set the relative font size in Sib 3 and 4?
    Solo Eb Bass The Eagley Band, Recent Compo, occasional stick-wagger and Tune Assoc. Leader and General Good Egg.
    -------------------------------------
    Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.
    Puppy juggler wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by MoominDave
    I've just spent the evening putting the finishing touches to a brass band arrangement of Ravel's 'Le tombeau de Couperin' in Sibelius
    - have you done the whole suite? (because)
    Last edited by brassneck; 05.07.2008 at 10:01.
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

Hah! You spotted him coming out of copyright too?

Yes, I have done the whole suite, with the exception of the Fugue, which wouldn't work very easily.
    I can't see your version of the Prelude because I can only install an old version of Scorch on my Windows 98 PC, and it won't load using that... I'll try the XP laptop later.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

Quote Originally Posted by MoominDave View Post
    Hah! You spotted him coming out of copyright too?

Yes, I have done the whole suite, with the exception of the Fugue, which wouldn't work very easily.
    I can't see your version of the Prelude because I can only install an old version of Scorch on my Windows 98 PC, and it won't load using that... I'll try the XP laptop later.
    The Prelude ditty I did is not for the faint of heart. It's still needing a bit of tweaking though! I used the piano part whilst listening to Ravel's later orchestration.

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My version neither. I left the Prelude until last because it presented something of a scoring challenge... I too worked from the piano part, bearing his orchestration in mind (probably less in mind than you did) - the most sensible way to do it, I think.

Mike - I'm not familiar with later Sib versions, so I don't know where that feature might be lurking. I haven't found anything that lets me explicitly deal with the font size in Sib 2.

HB - how do you insert a powerpoint slide?
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

Quote Originally Posted by MoominDave View Post
    HB - how do you insert a powerpoint slide?
    Scratch that, I've worked it out now.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

I'm not familiar with later Sib versions, so I don't know where that feature might be lurking. I haven't found anything that lets me explicitly deal with the font size in Sib 2.
    If I remember back to Sib2, you should be able to customise text styles by using this route ... House Style>Edit Text Style (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+T). Select the category and alter font size. Creating new title pages, when you have already scored, is something I haven't tried. Another problem I would like to see resolved is being able to link separate scores into one but with a new page for the start of every movement. This is without creating a brand new score & copy-pasting previous efforts (... maybe I'm too lazy to work it out!).

Yes, I have done the whole suite, with the exception of the Fugue, which wouldn't work very easily
    I've just listened to the fugue ... I can hear why Ravel never bothered orchestrating it!