Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: National Finals 2008 - Championship Test Piece : Concertino for Brass Band

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    Results:

1. Black Dyke, Dr. Nicholas Childs, 11, 198
    2. Fodens, Garry Cutt, 6, 197
    3. Cory, Dr. Robert Childs, 14, 196
    4. Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, Russell Gray, 20, 195
    5. Fairey, Philip Chalk, 5, 194
    6. Rothwell Temperance, David Roberts, 16, 193
    7. Grimethorpe Colliery, Allan Withington, 1, 192
    8. Leyland, Jason Katsikaris, 10, 191
    9. East Yorkshire Motor Services, Frans Violet, 9, 190
    10. Virtuosi GUS, John Berryman, 18, 189
    11. Reg Vardy, Allan Ramsay, 17, 188
    12. Whitburn, Steven Mead, 2, 187
    13. Kirkintilloch, Selmer Simonsen, 13, 186
    14. Aveley and Newham, Nigel Taken, 15, 185
    15. Tredegar, Ian Porthouse, 3, 183
    16. SWT Woodfalls, Melvin White, 7, 181
    17. Redbridge Brass, Jeremy Wise, 12, 180
    18. BTM Band, Philip Harper, 4, 179
    19. Desford Colliery, Nigel Seaman, 19, 178
    20. Mount Charles, Andrew Duncan, 8, 177
    No way in this world were Tredegar 15th. I would have fought top 6 for definate - shows my lack of knowledge in this area!
    J Ruck

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi77 View Post
    No way in this world were Tredegar 15th. I would have fought top 6 for definate - shows my lack of knowledge in this area!

Did you hear all the bands Joshy? You usually are a fair judge but if you didn't hear them all perhaps thats why you had Tred in the top 6?

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiz7 View Post
    Did you hear all the bands Joshy? You usually are a fair judge but if you didn't hear them all perhaps thats why you had Tred in the top 6?
    Missed 2 lol, Whitburn and Avevely and Newham - they definately deserved higher than 15th and the same goes for Leyland (10th)!
    J Ruck

tMP Prime Friend
    retirement home in Yorks. for simple souls.
    Well done Frickley, especially the shed builders Ian and Marky boy.
    Mr B

Well done Dyke but would like to say a big well done to Frickley who are getting back up there with the big bands!
    Emma Hocknell
    Tenor Horn
    Jackfield Band
    Solo Horn
    NYBBGB

yes. Well done Frickley on your 4th place.
    Donna Towse

I didn't find it the most inspiring or memorable test piece, and it certainly seemed too short. Due to train problems we were late getting there, so missed the first three bands completely.

Of the bands we heard, no real quibbles with the results, although I thought Leyland could have come a little higher. Impressed with Carlton Main, and felt GUS produced some good stuff as well, particularly in the middle section - great to hear Ben Godfrey on the end, and to see James Fountain sitting 2nd man down.

The cornet chord at the end of the 2nd movement caused all sorts of problems, despite various ruses taken to help, as much for the Bb cornets as for the sop - interestingly enough, Kenneth Downie said in the Friday evening talk that his first thought was to leave the soprano to come in on his/her own, and maybe that could have been better

Neat trombone and bass playing from most of the bands today.
    Peter Bale
    BBb bass, Hadleigh Temple Band
    Alto sax, Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
    tMP band, Whit Friday 2004; tMP band, Hadleigh, April 2005

tMP Master Friend
    Bit of a dissapointment today , must admit

Congratulations to all the bands though thought the standard was good right down the results list.

Agreed about the test peice not the most inspiring and its been that way at RAH for a while for me.

Note to organisors, please please please take a look at what the team does at the Open in Birmingham, final note played ....results and on way home all within the half hour or so.

Yesterday not for the first time an utter shambles

Anyone know how much the Trumpeters get paid for their 15 seconds.......
    MD - Marlow Band

tMP Prime Friend brassbandmaestro's Avatar
    Good to see Dyke winning!! The Nationals as well. Well done!! Yes good to see bands like Carlton getting to the higher echelons of the score sheet again! Good reusults all round.
    Timbeerland

tMP Friend in Training BarneyEuph's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBale View Post
    I didn't find it the most inspiring or memorable test piece, and it certainly seemed too short. Due to train problems we were late getting there, so missed the first three bands completely.

Of the bands we heard, no real quibbles with the results, although I thought Leyland could have come a little higher. Impressed with Carlton Main, and felt GUS produced some good stuff as well, particularly in the middle section - great to hear Ben Godfrey on the end, and to see James Fountain sitting 2nd man down.

The cornet chord at the end of the 2nd movement caused all sorts of problems, despite various ruses taken to help, as much for the Bb cornets as for the sop - interestingly enough, Kenneth Downie said in the Friday evening talk that his first thought was to leave the soprano to come in on his/her own, and maybe that could have been better

Neat trombone and bass playing from most of the bands today.

Heard all the main contenders apart from Grimethorpe (Full English at Toddington Services made us late....)

Also agree with the results and that Leyland could of come higher...They were only one of a few to pull off the last chord at the end of the 2nd movement.

G.U.S. did the Midlands proud and could of been placed higher on a different day. Commendable performance and again the 2nd movement end chord and the exposed horn part in the third movement were handled well.

Even though the Dyke entry on the tough 2nd movement ending was not perfect, streets ahead on overall sound and musical performance... handled and brought out expertly by the conductor i thought.
    Steve Barham
    Principal Euphonium - Leics Coop Band - Band Manager
    NEMBBA Contest Best Euphonium - 2011 and 2012
    LBBA - October Air Varie Winner - 2011
    Weston Super Mare Contest Best Euphonium - 2011
    www.leicscoopband.co.uk

Can't complain about the top two placings but I have to agree with previous comments on the Leyland placing ,I really enjoyed their performance, very stylish but I guess it wasn't what the adjudicators were after. There was quite a gap between Grimethorpe and the other top three placed bands so it was difficult to compare them, but I thought Grimethorpe would have been placed higher. But hey what do I know, I could probably only manage the triangle part. Looked like an interesting Bb Bass part, any comments from the players? Also for sop player of I think Kirkintilloch after falling off the last note of the second section really went for it in the third movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    for sop player of I think Kirkintilloch after falling off the last note of the second section really went for it in the third movement.
    I've never seen such an animated player, look liked he was sat on an electric chair ... took his applause at the end too...
    Good example to anyone out there to keep on going... if you miss something... make the next note the best you've ever played!! (something I'll keep in mind next sunday in Folkstone... )

To be honest, I was surprised at the problems the final chord in 2nd movement caused some bands. It's not something I would have expected at this level. It seemed to me that some were almost trying too hard? {I've just set myself up here now I suspect?}

I did enjoy all performances I heard, the usual suspects as I would have expected. I did think Leyland's performance was up there too, but didn't hear carlton, rothwell or grimethope to compare.

I quite liked the piece too.
    David Quinlan
    ==========

Im really OVER THE MOON for Black Dyke & Nick Childs its great to see DYKE ON TOP SPOT AGAIN.
    Im looking forward to hearing them at Derngate Thearte at Northampton on 25th October(My Birthday ) in concert+when i have a weeks holiday in Yorkshire of that week
    Finally:
    GREAT TO SEE DYKE BACK AT THE TOP AT NATIONAL
    Looking forward to 2013 with so much in stall

Great result for Dyke, had Fairey's & Leyland much higher, GUS in the frame too.........just my thoughts.

Agree with the results/stage management fiasco etc. at the end, this bit of the contest is still in the dark ages!

CB
    Aspire & Be Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by davidquinlan View Post
    I've never seen such an animated player, look liked he was sat on an electric chair ... took his applause at the end too...
    Good example to anyone out there to keep on going... if you miss something... make the next note the best you've ever played!! (something I'll keep in mind next sunday in Folkstone... )
    I remember seeing him at the Europeans this year, did a great job and was the most interesting person to watch for the entire contest! Its great seeing someone getting into their part so much, made me really get into the music.

Wish I could have been there to watch but never mind, does anyone know what time the nationals CD will be available?

Josh

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast