Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: National Finals 2008 - 4th Section Test Piece : Shipbuilders

Hasn't this been a 4th section testpiece before? I seem to remember playing it a long, long time ago. It's a nice piece. I enjoyed playing it, but why not a new piece?
    Solo Eb Bass The Eagley Band, Recent Compo, occasional stick-wagger and Tune Assoc. Leader and General Good Egg.
    -------------------------------------
    Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.
    Puppy juggler wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by mikelyons View Post
    Hasn't this been a 4th section testpiece before? I seem to remember playing it a long, long time ago. It's a nice piece. I enjoyed playing it, but why not a new piece?
    We played it in the third section at Butlins 2005. I seem to remember that the basses and trombones can win or lose the contest for a band in the opening bars. No pressure, then ...

Andy
    3rd-man-down...
    Woodbridge Excelsior Band

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by andyh View Post
    We played it in the third section at Butlins 2005. I seem to remember that the basses and trombones can win or lose the contest for a band in the opening bars. No pressure, then ...

Andy
    That must be why Woodbridge did so well, Great bass players!
    If it goes wrong, blame the yank!

Quote Originally Posted by yank67 View Post
    That must be why Woodbridge did so well, Great bass players!
    3rd-man-down...
    Woodbridge Excelsior Band

tMP Friend in Training

The shipbuilders

Does anyone know if there are any changes/additions to original publication of The Shipbuilder Suite. ie:- do we need to buy a new set??

Quote Originally Posted by mikelyons View Post
    I believe it was the National Finals (old) Third section piece in 1973 which was won by Haworth Band. This is a real test for any fourth section band, especially the cornet section.

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by robcav View Post
    I believe it was the National Finals (old) Third section piece in 1973 which was won by Haworth Band. This is a real test for any fourth section band, especially the cornet section.
    Correct Rob - it was me who told you last week!

I played on the front row that day for the original Rothwell Temps with my Dad conducting - we played well early on and I remember Dad being gutted at only coming 9th or 10th!
    It was held at Fulham Town Hall and the band stayed at the then brand new London Penta hotel on Cromwell Road (now Holiday Inn Forum) - I remember most of the band being amazed by the ultra modern facilities - automatic doors - and, wait for it - mini bars.
    This was, don't forget, 35 years ago... (my god it is..)

Long time ago - but great atmosphere in those days

JR

tMP Prime Friend Masterblaster jnr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kajoh8 View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any changes/additions to original publication of The Shipbuilder Suite. ie:- do we need to buy a new set??
    No. Well at least we haven't found any yet.

All it looks like is a photocopy () of the originals. good money spinner. There might be some but as i say i haven't found any
    Jonathan Bates
    Principal Horn - Black Dyke Band
    Composer, Arranger, Conductor.

www.jonathanbates.co.uk

Taken from Kapitol Promotions web site:-

" Recommended recordings
    To order, contact Polyphonic at the contact address and telephone number given above for Studio Music Company, but use the following e-mail address: polyphonic@studio-music.co.uk

1. Harry Mortimer – A Musical Tribute
    Catalogue reference: QPRL 050D)
    Polyphonic "

What do Kapitol mean by recommended recording
    Is this a benchmark given to the Adjudicators and the Bands on which to base their performance criteria
    Or have the adjudicators advised kapitol of their preferred interpretation
    Or is it just a favourite recording in Phillip’s (Kapitol Promotions) collection
    Not knocking it, but is it something we and the other sections with "Recommended Recordings" need to know???

Quote Originally Posted by Accidental View Post
    I admire the optimism guys! Plenty of 3rd section bands underestimated it at their peril when it was set for the areas in 93, and I don't think standards in the lower sections have changed that drastically since then.

That said, I personally hate the piece.... have fun!
    I seem to remember us qualifying for the finals on Shipbuilders that year, so I thought you might have had fonder memories.

We did have some pretty decent players in the band at that time who've moved onward and upward since, so I think it's a very, very challenging piece for 4th Section.

The third movement will provide many opportunities for trips and slips, but I think the 4th movement will really test the bands severely. There is no opportunity for any drop in concentration or intensity at all and it is a real test of stamina and control.

Best of luck folks!

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by 007ish View Post
    Taken from Kapitol Promotions web site:-

" Recommended recordings
    To order, contact Polyphonic at the contact address and telephone number given above for Studio Music Company, but use the following e-mail address: polyphonic@studio-music.co.uk

1. Harry Mortimer – A Musical Tribute
    Catalogue reference: QPRL 050D)
    Polyphonic "

What do Kapitol mean by recommended recording
    Is this a benchmark given to the Adjudicators and the Bands on which to base their performance criteria
    Or have the adjudicators advised kapitol of their preferred interpretation
    Or is it just a favourite recording in Phillip’s (Kapitol Promotions) collection
    Not knocking it, but is it something we and the other sections with "Recommended Recordings" need to know???
    seems a bit odd this - especially as there are several Shipbuilders recordings available.
    All the other pieces have only one or two. There arent any recordings of the 3rd section piece (Hurray!!)
    What's wrong with the Dyke version from the early 70s? (same LP as Sovereign Heritage) - seems fine to me...
    I also remember Besses recording it with Ifor james on an LP entitled Capriccio Brilliante.
    Also the old Wm Davis band did it etc etc

JR

Theres a good recording on the Sunlife "Legacy" triple CD.

Can remember playing it at the Areas in the 90's, wasnt that fussed with it back then as a tender 15yr old, but quite enjoy listening to it now!
    Willie Ralston
    Bb Bass
    Campbeltown Brass
    Scottish 3rd Section Champions 2007
    Scottish 2nd Section Champions 2008!!!
    "Tartan Brass" Whit Friday Tartan Army!!
    YABB

National Finals 1st Section 2007, and our draw delegate was stunned by another delegate (she didn't say which band) asking the question: "Should we play the piece as per the recording or as per the score?"

Amazing.

Presumably referring to the YBS recording which was much quicker than the score marking at (I think) around number 157 - the drunken sailor bit anyway.

Now I'm not knocking listening to recordings of other bands - I myself have had a bit of Haakon recently - but once you've familiarised yourself with how is goes in general, surely you put away the recording(s) and get on with rehearsing your own conductor's interpretation. Isn't that one of the reasons making live music is so interesting?

Can you imagine listening to 20 identical performances of anything (let alone Shipbuilders) based around just one 'recommended' recording. If is was up to me I'd let bands listen to whichever recording(s) they wanted to (if indeed they wanted to at all) then let their M.D.s get on with their job.

Perhaps with a bit of help from the score.
    I've got the body of a god. (Shame it's Buddah).

tMP Prime Friend brassbandmaestro's Avatar
    Glad I'm not playing this piece. Loads of people love it. Cant understand why. From the first time I heard this piece, I havnt liked it one iota. Bit like Frank Bryce's Promenade. dont like that one either!!
    Timbeerland

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    For all the conductors training bands for this piece - you can save oodles of time in the last movement by inserting two or three rehearsal numbers/letters....
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast