National Finals 2008 - 4th Section Test Piece : Shipbuilders

National Finals 2008
    Fourth Section Test Piece

The Shipbuilders Suite for Brass Band
    by Peter York
    Chappell, distributed by Studio Music London
    Midlands Regional Champions, 2nd Section - 2011

tMP Friend in Training dlls2275's Avatar
    Fantastic choice, only wish we had qualified. Good luck to all competing bands.

Glad I'm not playing.One of my least favourite test pieces. I remember when there was talk of Killamarsh contesting our chairman getting this out. I think it had the effect he desired!
    Daniel Robinson
    BFlat Bass Barnsley Building Society Band
    BFlat Bass Killamarsh Silver Band

Any views expressed on here are solely mine, so please don't tell my conductor!

tMP Friend in Training
    This will test the bands. You have been warned!

tMP Prime Friend Masterblaster jnr's Avatar
    Just looked at the Solo Horn Part . do the national finals provide a double bed with 2 pillows, i think i'll need It!

Let down of the century for me, although its apparently quite a nice piece (i'll have plenty of time to listen to it whilst gazing into the roof and getting unbelievably bored with my part)
    Jonathan Bates
    Principal Horn - Black Dyke Band
    Composer, Arranger, Conductor.

www.jonathanbates.co.uk

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    I think there is a LOT more to find in the piece, including in the solo horn part, than you're giving Peter York credit for.

Revisit your comments after 3 months' practice, and the performance young MBj, as see if your comments still stand up.
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

i can only see currently that the 3rd movement is going to be a challenge, but then i don't know the piece so i don'yt know how much stamina i'll need for the last movement.
    Jonathan Bates

www.jonathanbates.co.uk

tMP Friend in Training Drummer_cornetgirl91's Avatar
    I think its a good choice. Feel sorry for the back row cornets tho, that have to play a lot of top A's and its quite a challenging piece for the fourth section. Good luck to all the bands playing this.
    Secretary, Murton Colliery Band.
    ! Cornet, Sop, Flugel and percussionist Extraordinare!

Its an interesting choice alright! I think personally they could have slipped up though. How many of the cream of 4th section bands will realistically have much of a problem with this after a couple of weeks? Sure, there are some technical and tonal demands, but all the top bands in the section have that sorted anyway (or certainly SHOULD do!).

I like the piece, dont get me wrong, just a bit surprised to see it as a Finals test piece. Considering the standard of the own choices of the bands who win local contests I think this may prove a bit boring!
    MD, Denton Brass.
    www.dentonbrass.co.uk

tMP Friend in Training
    There's a lot to commend in Peter Yorke's works and The Shipbuilders is one of my favourites. Not too taxing for the players, but an interesting listen for the audience and chock full of musical "traps". There's a world of difference between being able to play something and performing it. This piece, whether or not the individual parts are challenging, requires a performance to win.

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterblaster jnr View Post
    Just looked at the Solo Horn Part . do the national finals provide a double bed with 2 pillows, i think i'll need It!

Let down of the century for me, although its apparently quite a nice piece (i'll have plenty of time to listen to it whilst gazing into the roof and getting unbelievably bored with my part)
    What were you expedting for the 4th section Jonny....Journey into freedom? Maybe you should join a better band as your obviously far, far too good for the lowly 4th section! Honestly.....
    Euphonium.... Instrument of the Gods! Bow mere mortals!

Quote Originally Posted by grandmothersclock View Post
    What were you expedting for the 4th section Jonny....Journey into freedom? Maybe you should join a better band as your obviously far, far too good for the lowly 4th section! Honestly.....
    Something a bit more modern, (not saying old is bad), and something which isnt just quavers and offbeats.

It seems obvious you don't really know of last years 4th section piece. Modern, something in for all the parts, nice to listen to and challenging. it seems the Shipbuilders, i'm guessing it's nice on the ear, but looks like a standard, Cornet has tune, euph has tune, back row has the high parts, horns have quavers and um chucks etc etc.

Bring back Roman Tryptych I say.
    Jonathan Bates

www.jonathanbates.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    I think personally they could have slipped up though. How many of the cream of 4th section bands will realistically have much of a problem with this after a couple of weeks? Sure, there are some technical and tonal demands, but all the top bands in the section have that sorted anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterblaster jnr
    I admire the optimism guys! Plenty of 3rd section bands underestimated it at their peril when it was set for the areas in 93, and I don't think standards in the lower sections have changed that drastically since then.

That said, I personally hate the piece.... have fun!
    Last edited by Accidental; 05.06.2008 at 16:43.
    Alex
    my posts are my views only, I am not speaking for my band or any other organisation

tMP Friend in Training
    I know i dont like the top A's! At the end of the rehearsal and the condustor says - lets have a quick run through this....

Rest of the piece seems ok as test pieces go.
    Catherine Reid

2nd Cornet - Drighlington Brass Band

Ive heard it many times and its a great piece.
    Only ever played it once and that was at a concert with the first band i ever played for that was when we were a second section band i played the 2nd Baritone part a real treat to play.
    This will prove to be a good test for 4th section bands and will give many hours of enjoyment during practise times both at home and at band +SECTIONALS!!!!!!!!!.
    May the best band win.
    Looking forward to 2013 with so much in stall

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast