National Finals 2008 - 3rd Section Test Piece : Suite for Brass

National Finals 2008
    Third Section Test Piece

Suite for Brass
    by John Rutter, arranged by Sandy Smith
    Obrasso-Verlag AG

Midlands Regional Champions, 2nd Section - 2011

well it sounds quite hummable...

Is this a newly composed piece or one that there is recordings of?
    Emma Hocknell
    Tenor Horn
    Jackfield Band
    Solo Horn
    NYBBGB

tMP Friend in Training Lyndon Price's Avatar
    There are some utube bits of the source material for S Smiths arr. Seems like there are 2 mvts with perc tacet( in the string suite). Based on english folk songs ala Holst Tavener and RVW. The String version is high....should be interesting....last orch transcription was Carnival at the area 2nd section....hope this is better. Rutter of course is in a utterly different league than Mr Illes main sqeeze tho....lol

I wouldn't offend Sandy Smith for the world, he's a top spot a1 class arranger, but why are the panel not picking more

NEW BRASS COMPOSITIONS?

I love John Rutter's stuff. He writes excellent music which pleases audiences around the world, but why can the panel not pick pieces

written for brass bands?

It really worries me that they can ignore all the talent out there amongst real brass band composers and go for an arrangement (however well done - and I believe that it will be) rather than a proper composition?
    Last edited by PeterBale; 10.06.2008 at 23:49.
    Solo Eb Bass The Eagley Band, Recent Compo, occasional stick-wagger and Tune Assoc. Leader and General Good Egg.
    -------------------------------------
    Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.
    Puppy juggler wannabe

We played it last night for the first time at the end of rehearsals.

I like it but some parts may have to grow on me.

Slightly disappointed in lack of percussion but then I did expect it. Timpani is tacet in the 2nd movement and glock is tacet in the 4th movement.

Shall be interesting as we have 4 percussionsts and we only need 3 for it - I volunteered to prop up the bar

I like the 2nd movement but don't think the rest of the band do. Its got a nice wee glock part to it.
    Rachael
    Percussion

Public sector and proud!! DMBabe's Avatar
    Stop showing off Rach! U wanna lend us one???? I have a comfy sofa (and a soon to be done up spare room) and a really stonking chippie less than 100 yds away! Anyhting to shut him indoors up! We haven't even seen it yet and he's stressing. Flaming amateurs!
    Last edited by DMBabe; 13.06.2008 at 04:07.
    I'm the lyrical gangster! I'll use colourful vernacular and when neccessary engage in fisticuffs!!!
    5200 hits..... You're stalkers and you know you are!!!

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelyons View Post
    I wouldn't offend Sandy Smith for the world, he's a top spot a1 class arranger, but why are the panel not picking more

NEW BRASS COMPOSITIONS?

I love John Rutter's stuff. He writes excellent music which pleases audiences around the world, but why can the panel not pick pieces

written for brass bands?

It really worries me that they can ignore all the talent out there amongst real brass band composers and go for an arrangement (however well done - and I believe that it will be) rather than a proper composition?
    With tongue firmly in cheek.... I seem to remember that you didn't enjoy the last composition!

Quote Originally Posted by DMBabe View Post
    Stop showing off Rach! U wanna lend us one???? I have a comfy sofa (and a soon to be done up spare room) and a really stonking chippie less than 100 yds away! Anyhting to shut him indoors up! We haven't even seen it yet and he's stressing. Flaming amateurs!
    Unfortunately I won't be able to lend you one as I'll have to stay and keep an eye on the guys. Someone has to keep them organinsed How many percussionists do you have likes?

He's stressing?! What ever for?! Its very simple for percussion. Very much like Carnival last year. You've got a bit of snare (not sure what that piece was like), a wee bit of timps, some glock and a few rolls on a bass drum.
    Rachael
    Percussion

We played it last night for the first time. I like it but I think it is one of those pieces that just get harder the more it is rehearsed.

Public sector and proud!! DMBabe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Wee-Timpanist View Post

He's stressing?! What ever for?! Its very simple for percussion. Very much like Carnival last year. You've got a bit of snare (not sure what that piece was like), a wee bit of timps, some glock and a few rolls on a bass drum.
    We have him (the guitar playing oboe dude who only does banding cos it's that or be the brass band widower but is better at percussion than the other stuff ) and the at times rhythmically perplexed Hezza. He always stresses till he knows what's going on (we've been doing concerts so haven't looked at it yet).

Don't want to be the one to tell him it's like carnival..... had to hide all sharp objects during that so he wouldn't top himself with how pants it was!
    I'm the lyrical gangster! I'll use colourful vernacular and when neccessary engage in fisticuffs!!!
    5200 hits..... You're stalkers and you know you are!!!

Quote Originally Posted by centralbankofdad View Post
    With tongue firmly in cheek.... I seem to remember that you didn't enjoy the last composition!

I know, but that was mainly because it was about as interesting as watching paint dry.

We haven't got this yet so I'm not judging it. I just hope Sandy Smith wrote it before he fell out with me over DSOTM.

Don't want to be the one to tell him it's like carnival.....

Oh no! Please, not again!
    Last edited by mikelyons; 14.06.2008 at 07:32.
    Solo Eb Bass The Eagley Band, Recent Compo, occasional stick-wagger and Tune Assoc. Leader and General Good Egg.
    -------------------------------------
    Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.
    Puppy juggler wannabe

tMP Prime Friend brassbandmaestro's Avatar
    I totally agree with mikelyons. We have a pleathora of talent in the brass band movement. So why on earth have the panel ignoredthese people. Again, no offence to Sandy Smith, who I also agree is a nop notch arranger. But, why o why, do they continually to give out music thats like an arrangement and not origin al stuff!?!?!?
    Timbeerland

Quote Originally Posted by DMBabe View Post

Don't want to be the one to tell him it's like carnival..... had to hide all sharp objects during that so he wouldn't top himself with how pants it was!
    We used to dread going to band when we were rehearsing Carnival. In fact somedays we'd turn up an hour late just because we knew we wouldn't be needed for a great deal.

Ok, maybe its not quite as bad as Carnival because percussion actually could have just turned up on the day for that one! Yet its not quite as exciting as Dark Side of the Moon - I loved it! I think you'll def need 3 players though.
    Rachael
    Percussion

tMP Friend in Training brianatb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brassbandmaestro View Post
    I totally agree with mikelyons. We have a pleathora of talent in the brass band movement. So why on earth have the panel ignoredthese people. Again, no offence to Sandy Smith, who I also agree is a nop notch arranger. But, why o why, do they continually to give out music thats like an arrangement and not origin al stuff!?!?!?
    Hear Hear

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast