Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: National Finals 2008 - 2nd Section Test Piece : Rhapsodic Variations ...

tMP Senior Friend
    I dont think any of the perc parts are particularly taxing EXCEPT the xylo bit which thankfully I dont have to play.BUT,I must say that I think that it has been very badly planned with regard to actualy playing the individual instruments that the perc part demands.I get the feeling that whoever did this just decided to throw some stuff in without any thoughts to the actual logistics of it because they didn't realy know what to do with it.There are two or three pieces of equipment writen into all three parts with apparently no thought as to how the players are going to play each part.We certainly aren't going to have two concert basses and three tam tams on stage.
    This may seem a bit nit picky to some of you but I believe it just goes to show the lack of thought that some arrangers have in their music!
    Grump over.

tMP Newbie
    Have to agree with you. A great piece and very difficult. One of those pieces that is a lot harder than it sounds. It will take a special band to produce the winning performance.

tMP Senior Friend
    Since my previous post,I have been given to understand that it was a Euph playerthat wrote/arranged the perc part for this piece Somebody please tell me what that is all about,didn't it occur to anyone that it might have been a VERY GOOD IDEA to get a percussionist to do that particular job. And before you all jump down my throat,I have no doubt that the said Euph player is very good in his own field and IF it turns out that he is a percussionist as well, then he should have known better.
    Second grump over.

AND FINALLY Humble appologies if I have upset anyone but it realy has p&*%$D me off

tMP Prime Friend WorldofBrass.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by animal.22 View Post
    Since my previous post,I have been given to understand that it was a Euph playerthat wrote/arranged the perc part for this piece Somebody please tell me what that is all about,didn't it occur to anyone that it might have been a VERY GOOD IDEA to get a percussionist to do that particular job. And before you all jump down my throat,I have no doubt that the said Euph player is very good in his own field and IF it turns out that he is a percussionist as well, then he should have known better.
    Second grump over.

AND FINALLY Humble appologies if I have upset anyone but it realy has p&*%$D me off
    I wasn't aware that Brian Bowen was a euphonium player. As a player, many would remember him as a very fine flugel horn player in The International Staff Band for many years.

As far as Brian's credentials to write percussion parts are concerned, I don't think you have any grounds to worry or indeed to be p&*%$D off as you put it. Brian has had many fine compositions published by The Salvation Army in the UK and USA. Brian has lived and worked in the USA for many years, latterly as a freelance composer, arranger and editor.
    Prior to his emigration, Brian was an editor of the Eulenberg miniature scores, those small yellow books that you find all over the place.

tMP Senior Friend
    I dont think any of the perc parts are particularly taxing EXCEPT the xylo bit which thankfully I dont have to play.BUT,I must say that I think that it has been very badly planned with regard to actualy playing the individual instruments that the perc part demands.I get the feeling that whoever did this just decided to throw some stuff in without any thoughts to the actual logistics of it because they didn't realy know what to do with it.There are two or three pieces of equipment writen into all three parts with apparently no thought as to how the players are going to play each part.We certainly aren't going to have two concert basses and three tam tams on stage.
    This may seem a bit nit picky to some of you but I believe it just goes to show the lack of thought that some arrangers have in their music!
    Grump over.
    to add to your grump, just found out in the last rehearsal that the provided perc isnt to be moved at all ( the big stuff anyway) doesnt make things any easier when you have random instruments on each part! maybe i could grow more arms before sunday! or make the ones i have 6 feet longer. or maybe i could stop whining and get on with it!

Quote Originally Posted by the shed builder View Post
    to add to your grump, just found out in the last rehearsal that the provided perc isnt to be moved at all ( the big stuff anyway) doesnt make things any easier when you have random instruments on each part! maybe i could grow more arms before sunday! or make the ones i have 6 feet longer. or maybe i could stop whining and get on with it!
    And/or blame your secretary for not giving you the percussion info sheet earlier!!!

We've got 5 percussionists, so hopefully everything should be covered in the piece!!!!
    Willie Ralston
    Bb Bass
    Campbeltown Brass
    Scottish 3rd Section Champions 2007
    Scottish 2nd Section Champions 2008!!!
    "Tartan Brass" Whit Friday Tartan Army!!
    YABB

tMP Newbie
    Who do you think will likely be the top three in this section? Must admit I haven't heard of some bands in this section.

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofBrass.com View Post
    I wasn't aware that Brian Bowen was a euphonium player. As a player, many would remember him as a very fine flugel horn player in The International Staff Band for many years.

As far as Brian's credentials to write percussion parts are concerned, I don't think you have any grounds to worry or indeed to be p&*%$D off as you put it. Brian has had many fine compositions published by The Salvation Army in the UK and USA. Brian has lived and worked in the USA for many years, latterly as a freelance composer, arranger and editor.
    Prior to his emigration, Brian was an editor of the Eulenberg miniature scores, those small yellow books that you find all over the place.
    I dont doubt the mans credentials as a musician one bit but,as I said, he just doesn't seem to have given any thought to the logistics of playing the piece. As someone else has already said,they have FIVE players at the back to cover the perc piece.Surely that speaks volumes in itself!! As for him being a Euph player,perhaps I should have added "allegedly"

tMP Prime Friend michellegarbutt's Avatar
    I was sent the percussion plan weeks ago. We have 4 players and we think we've managed to cover everything
    TMP CHIEF CAKE MAKER
    Tuned Percussion
    Murton Colliery Band

www.murtoncollieryband.com

www.kellysdoggybandanas.moonfruit.com

I dont doubt the mans credentials as a musician one bit but,as I said, he just doesn't seem to have given any thought to the logistics of playing the piece. As someone else has already said,they have FIVE players at the back to cover the perc piece.Surely that speaks volumes in itself!! As for him being a Euph player,perhaps I should have added "allegedly"
    We probably dont need the 5 players to cover the percussion parts but we'll letting them all play something as its the National Finals. With 4 out of the 5 players under 16, its a good chance for them to be there and to take part. Last year at Harrogate we had to drop a 2nd baritone player for the line-up, so we gave her a part on percussion so she was still there and involved with the band.
    Willie Ralston
    Bb Bass
    Campbeltown Brass
    Scottish 3rd Section Champions 2007
    Scottish 2nd Section Champions 2008!!!
    "Tartan Brass" Whit Friday Tartan Army!!
    YABB

All the best to Campbeltown in Harrogate, Willie - the latest step on what is becoming quite a journey through the Sections. Best wishes also to Johnstone, here's hoping for a couple of cracking placings for Scottish bands this weekend.
    perthshirebrass.co.uk
    Three time tMP Caption Competition winner - only thing I've ever won...........

The percussion parts are very badly scored!! but if you re-write the parts a little it can easly be played with three players.
    Back Row do it best!

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBill View Post
    And/or blame your secretary for not giving you the percussion info sheet earlier!!!

We've got 5 percussionists, so hopefully everything should be covered in the piece!!!!
    five percussionists?? they must be bored rigid!! how did you manage to get them all?

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBill View Post
    We probably dont need the 5 players to cover the percussion parts but we'll letting them all play something as its the National Finals. With 4 out of the 5 players under 16, its a good chance for them to be there and to take part. Last year at Harrogate we had to drop a 2nd baritone player for the line-up, so we gave her a part on percussion so she was still there and involved with the band.
    ah! didnt read this far down! you have answered my question!! makes sense, keeps everyone involved and gives the younger ones experience

tMP Newbie
    can you play five percussion ?
    is this legal?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast