Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: National Finals 2008 - 2nd Section Test Piece : Rhapsodic Variations ...

National Finals 2008 - 2nd Section Test Piece : Rhapsodic Variations ...

National Finals 2008
    Second Section Test Piece

Rhapsodic Variations My Strength, My Tower
    Dean Goffin, adapted by Brian Bowen
    SP&S Ltd

Midlands Regional Champions, 2nd Section - 2011

I'm interested in the "adapted by Brian Bowen" reference. Brian, can you fill us in on how this version differs from the original?

tMP Friend in Training

Explanation

There is a brief description of the differences on the Kapitol website !
    http://www.kapitol.co.uk/f_tests.html
    Ang W

tMP Prime Friend WorldofBrass.com's Avatar
    The Kapitol website also lists a couple of recommended recordings, by Yorkshire Building Society Band and The International Staff Band, albeit of the 'original' version.

I have been reminded that Enfield Citadel Band also recorded My Strength, My Tower. It appeared on a CD called Milestone which dates from 1996 (?) and an LP from 1979 (?) on which the piece was the title track.

tMP Friend
    Are any of the recordings likely to be going up on World of Brass Tunes, even as a 'full CD only' bundle?
    Craig McFarland
    MD, Cadishead Public Band
    Solo Cornet, Haslingden & Helmshore Band

tMP Prime Friend WorldofBrass.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fromTheShadows View Post
    Are any of the recordings likely to be going up on World of Brass Tunes, even as a 'full CD only' bundle?
    Maybe the Enfield one from 1996, if the band allow us to sell it on their behalf.

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofBrass.com View Post
    Maybe the Enfield one from 1996, if the band allow us to sell it on their behalf.
    Fingers crossed then, thanks very much.
    Craig McFarland
    MD, Cadishead Public Band
    Solo Cornet, Haslingden & Helmshore Band

The Kapitol website also lists a couple of recommended recordings, by Yorkshire Building Society Band and The International Staff Band, albeit of the 'original' version.

I have been reminded that Enfield Citadel Band also recorded My Strength, My Tower. It appeared on a CD called Milestone which dates from 1996 (?) and an LP from 1979 (?) on which the piece was the title track.
    Any chance of this one being re-released on CD at all?
    Kev Mann
    Ex Player

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.- Victor Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    Any chance of this one being re-released on CD at all?
    It would be nice to have this recording at least from a historical perspective. As I remember it also included the "Redcliffe" March and also Goffin's "Crusaders" festival march, a particular favourite of mine. However, as I recall it was a recording of exceptionally poor quality (sound/engineering, I hasten to add, rather than performance), and although it's possible to digitally "tweak" these older recordings to some extent, I would have some doubt as to whether or not much could be done with this one, even assuming the original masters still existed.
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

tMP Friend in Training tenorhorndavid's Avatar
    Listening to the piece i think it will be a good test for second section bands, especially cornet and euphonium players!!

Great piece though and a fine follow-up to rhapsody in brass!

tMP Newbie

Final's test piece!

Played it last night for the first time, very difficult for principal cornet and euph, you get about halfway through the cornet solo and think the hard bit's over and it comes back and gets you again! doh!!
    Tough test for 2nd section but a crackin piece and will certainly sort em out.

Very quiet in here then!! How are folk finding the piece now??

Kirstin
    Johnstone Band
    School is for weans to see old folk work! ;)

tMP Newbie
    Yeah, love the piece, very difficult cornet solo but i'm getting there, also lots for euph to do.
    Am enjoying working on it and it's so much better and harder than last years piece, which i can't even remember!
    I would like to go and listen to a few on the day, but as a competitor refuse to pay 8 or whatever it is, as we're already getting ripped off at the hotel one way or another, anyway must go and practise, good luck.

tMP Master Friend

"recommendations"

I find it rather odd that Kapitol are "recommending" recordings

If there are several on the market this puts them in a very debatable position regarding the ethics of the contest doesnt it?

JR

tMP Senior Friend
    i have to say i really like this piece, really enjoying rehearsing it. think its a great test for the second section. good luck to all competing bands.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast