Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Official tMP West of England Regional 2008 thread

Oh dear! Things don't seem to be going too well in Camborne!! I'll have to cheer extra loud for you lot this year!

Paul - I'm sure you'll make an excellent Flugel player!

tMP Friend in Training MattEarl's Avatar
    Well folks, it's the final week of rehearsals and Torquay is drawing nearer.
    Starting to get quite excited about it all.

Good luck to all the bands competeing especially our fellow GBBA members.
    Matt Earl
    Cheltenham Silver Band

Quote Originally Posted by MattEarl View Post
    Well folks, it's the final week of rehearsals and Torquay is drawing nearer.
    Starting to get quite excited about it all.

Good luck to all the bands competeing especially our fellow GBBA members.
    I don't know what you are getting so excited about Matt - anyone would think that you were getting nervous about all those people watching you wave the stick.

Best of luck to Cheltenham for Saturday - shame I won't be there to see it.
    Eb Bass (formerly Solo Horn, Euphonium, Solo Baritone, 2nd Cornet and anywhere else there is a gap)
    AW Parker (Drybrook) Band

Quote Originally Posted by davethehorny View Post
    I don't know what you are getting so excited about Matt - anyone would think that you were getting nervous about all those people watching you wave the stick.

Best of luck to Cheltenham for Saturday - shame I won't be there to see it.
    Thanks Dave, I've been trying to forget about that. Sleepless nights, can't stop humming/singing/whistling the test piece, please tell me that it get's easier???!!!!
    Matt Earl
    Cheltenham Silver Band

tMP Friend in Training Keith Lewis's Avatar
    Good luck Portishead!

1st time in the 1st section, play well on and off the contest stage.
    famous French fighter pilot

UP le 'Ead

Thanks Dave, I've been trying to forget about that. Sleepless nights, can't stop humming/singing/whistling the test piece, please tell me that it get's easier???!!!!
    Matt - Of course it gets easier - about 5.00 O Clock Saturday afternoon.

Just after the results and about the third pint!
    Eb Bass (formerly Solo Horn, Euphonium, Solo Baritone, 2nd Cornet and anywhere else there is a gap)

Come on people this thread is a little quiet!! Who's confident? Who's enoying the test piece? Who thinks it's all coming together? Who wants to cry? Let your feelings be known!!

I am pleased with the way we are playing. I think the First Section is probably going to be the most competitive of the day - but I may be a bit biased!! Would actually have loved to have played Festival Music but old Jimmy Cook is chucking out a few problems!!

All the best to all bands for next weekend - it is sure to be a great contest. I am looK forward to seeing you in the bar afterwards! Please come and say hello as otherwise I may be a lonely Welshman!!

tMP Senior Friend snazzy_cornet_sound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tam-tam2 View Post
    Come on people this thread is a little quiet!! Who's confident? Who's enoying the test piece? Who thinks it's all coming together? Who wants to cry? Let your feelings be known!!
    Im trying to get my confidence up for it! been shoved on to Flugel a week before the area! although me and the rest of my band are loving Festival Music! Frank Renton is hot on his heels for this one so should be a good weeks practice! although I still want to cry! want to be back on Cornet!
    Last edited by snazzy_cornet_sound; 04.03.2008 at 10:53. Reason: quoted wrong test piece... Doh

Quote Originally Posted by snazzy_cornet_sound View Post
    Im trying to get my confidence up for it! been shoved on to Flugel a week before the area! although me and the rest of my band are loving Festival Music! Frank Renton is hot on his heels for this one so should be a good weeks practice! although I still want to cry! want to be back on Cornet!
    You clearly LOVE it Saggers : )

''after silence, music comes closest to expressing the inexpressible''

Piece is sounding pretty good, but we've had the usual problems before a contest. Two players down, with some reshuffling in the band to fill the gaps. Tonight should show if the sectionals have paid off.
    Will be glad to put the four cheese symphony back in the cupboard where long may it rest - we had a blast through Dark Side of Moon and the band sight-read it very well - wouldn't mind sneaking onto the third section stage and playing it.
    Can't say that I'm impressed with the organisation deciding not to relegate any bands out of the third section this year, when four years ago we were demoted with 5 other bands because three were on equal points and two were rule N. After 4 gruelling years in the fourth section it doesn't seem fair - why not promote three or four bands last year? Can't take another year of it down hear - anyone gotta ladder?
    HUW
    Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by QAD View Post
    ......After 4 gruelling years in the fourth section it doesn't seem fair - why not promote three or four bands last year? Can't take another year of it down hear - anyone gotta ladder?
    Huw, best of luck to you and the band on Saturday, Bream have sounded great for years and deserve to be out of the 4th section.

Will be glad to put the four cheese symphony back in the cupboard where long may it rest
    Cheltenham are producing a good quality sounds and are all looking forward to Saturday, and like Bream some are also looking forward to putting the piece away!!!!
    Matt Earl
    Cheltenham Silver Band

Huw, best of luck to you and the band on Saturday, Bream have sounded great for years and deserve to be out of the 4th section.
    Cheltenham are producing a good quality sounds and are all looking forward to Saturday, and like Bream some are also looking forward to putting the piece away!!!!
    Good luck Matt,
    If this piece has been buzzing around your head then you have my deepest sympathies.
    Looking forward to a good day at the seaside.
    Best of luck Cheltenham,
    Huw
    HUW
    Flowers

tMP Prime Friend

Good luck to all at Bream from your Norfolk fan club!
    Ian Clarke,
    BBb Bass, The Cawston Band EABBA Champion Band 2010
    Juggling Baps for London 2012
    Tell 'em Chunky sent ya - For da good stuff!

All the best to all bands for next weekend - it is sure to be a great contest. I am looK forward to seeing you in the bar afterwards! Please come and say hello as otherwise I may be a lonely Welshman!!
    Don't worry Tim here's a lonely Welsh girl to keep you company! I'm quite looking forward to the weekend and competing in the West of England for the first time. Although I may get confused seeing as I'd only just managed to keep up with the Welsh politics before moving down here!

At least preparation for Festival Music hasn't had me quaking in my boots, the only problem will be staying awake until the third movement!

Good luck to all competing, I'm hoping to come and listen to some of the other sections on Saturday - after the Wales game of course!

Can't say that I'm impressed with the organisation deciding not to relegate any bands out of the third section this year, when four years ago we were demoted with 5 other bands because three were on equal points and two were rule N. After 4 gruelling years in the fourth section it doesn't seem fair - why not promote three or four bands last year? Can't take another year of it down hear - anyone gotta ladder?
    Huw - understand your thoughts but we had to ensure that the Third Section had more bands in it. Each year a band seems to disappear from the Third Section, or merge prior to being relegated from the Second Section, and so the numbers get less each year.

The rules do not allow us to promote more bands to resolve the issue but they do allow us to not relegate and this was the chosen route. It could turn out to be a problem for a band finishing in the bottom two - they could face certain relegation after next years contest if they do not finish in the top two or three in 2009.

We do however look forward to having three Forest bands in the Third Section in 2009, assuming either Pillowell or Drybrook don't get promoted by some miracle. Statistically unlikely but who knows!

Best of luck on Saturday to all at Bream - although I am sue you don't need it.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast