Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 377

Thread: Official tMP West of England Regional 2008 thread

  1. #136
    tMP Senior Friend davethehorny's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.07.2005
    Location
    Forest of Dean
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by snazzy_cornet_sound View Post
    I was told it was a player in Cinderford Band! but don't quote me on that
    Having spent some time speaking to both Brian Elliott and Frances Calver on Sunday, I am sure that they might have mentioned an assault on an adjudicator to me (I am a member of the Council of West of England Brass Band Associations Executive Committee).

    I am sure that the Cinderford Band would be very upset that one of their members might be suspected of being involved in something so serious. We need to totally sure of these things prior to putting it in writing.

    I understand that they may not have appreciated the result or their draw (No. 1) but I am sure that all bands not winning may feel that way. For the record my band also finished 14th out of 14. Not 100% deserved in my humble opinion but accepted with good grace by our members. We will attempt to prove them wrong in 2009.

    Anyone with complaints about the contest should forward them to Brian Elliott - the Council Secretary) prior to our next meeting on the 29th of March.
    Eb Bass (formerly Solo Horn, Euphonium, Solo Baritone, 2nd Cornet and anywhere else there is a gap)
    AW Parker (Drybrook) Band

  2. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    really bemused by Hope & Hardy, I havnt spoken to one person this weekend who has any faith in them. some very odd results in there respective sections.
    Quote Originally Posted by weenie View Post
    Well done to Mount Charles and Woodfalls and to Lydbrook for a fine 5th place.

    I've never been one to moan about a poor result but this one really sticks in the throat and I've no shame in saying to Mr. Hope and Mr. Hardy I hope the next time you come to Torquay it will be on a SAGA holiday!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sopmaestro View Post
    hmmmmmmm thats another fine mess you've got us into Mr Hardy.Which tin were you referring to that we needed to play off ? Am now home after the wasted trip to Torquay and enjoying a tin of soup which is going down far better than our result today ! :o)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bari2 View Post
    I'm still as angry as I was when the results were given out. Hope & Hardy - more like Laurel & Hardy, and the latter pairing could probably have done a better job.

    Never have I seen so much whineing after a contest result - but as the saying goes "that's life". Live to accept the fact that you cannot win all of the time just because you think you have to.
    "I'm built for comfort and not for speed!"

  3. #138
    tMP Senior Friend Lawrencediana's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.04.2006
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    251
    I think it is a shame that certain bands seem to think they have a god given right to win this contest and if they don't they blame everyone but themselves. This is not the first year its happened and doubtless it will not be the last. I would say to those certain bands take it on the cheek and have another go next year just grow up, its contesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lawrence Butchart

  4. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by snazzy_cornet_sound View Post
    I was told it was a player in Cinderford Band! but don't quote me on that
    I wasn't intending to jump into this thread just yet, but this comment prompted me to do so.

    Please think before you post rumours such as this, they can be very damaging to those alluded to when they may not have even been involved, nor possibly anything such as this actually occurred. Please, when feelings are running as high as they obviously are right now, be considerate to players of other bands, to fellow band members AND to the adjudicators who have no easy task.

    That's the beauty of banding, and is one of the reasons we love it so much i.e. that things don't always go according to the book or they way people think they should.

    Things didn't in the international on the weekend eh... so please don't expect them to do so in banding either.

    Win some... lose some...

    Enjoy!

  5. #140
    tMP Friend in Training Keith Lewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    16.09.2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    66
    Just to add to the adjudicator debate.

    I'm sure this has been discussed before but, what the adjudicators are looking for and what interpretation is acceptable should be sent to the competing bands. this would allow all of the bands to understand what is required and stop the guessing "of what the man wants in the box".


    Just a thought.
    famous French fighter pilot



    UP le 'Ead

  6. #141
    tMP Senior Friend Trigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    15.06.2003
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrencediana View Post
    I think it is a shame that certain bands seem to think they have a god given right to win this contest and if they don't they blame everyone but themselves. This is not the first year its happened and doubtless it will not be the last. I would say to those certain bands take it on the cheek and have another go next year just grow up, its contesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Absolutely. When you go to a contest you take a risk - if you don't like the thought that you might not win, then give up contesting. And if it hasn't occurred to you that you might not win, then perhaps it should have, because no band is perfect and no band has the given right to the result the wanted/expected. I know it's good to go to a contest hoping/expecting to win, but there's confidence and there's just plain arrogance - which I saw very clearly on the stage from various members who clearly thought they'd won the contest before even leaving the stage and before a number of other bands had even played - I imagine those individuals and rather disappointed today. Get over it!

    Congratulations to Woodfalls you absolutely deserved to qualify and congrats to Mount Charles (one of the only bands I didn't hear).
    Natasha Marchant

  7. #142
    tMP Senior Friend
    Join Date
    06.01.2008
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Lewis View Post
    Just to add to the adjudicator debate.

    I'm sure this has been discussed before but, what the adjudicators are looking for and what interpretation is acceptable should be sent to the competing bands. this would allow all of the bands to understand what is required and stop the guessing "of what the man wants in the box".


    Just a thought.
    But isn't this one of the things that gives the contest an element of unpredictability? At the end of the day though, most bands get penalised on the obvious things, and that is what differentiates the good performances from the outstanding ones.

  8. #143
    tMP Senior Friend
    Join Date
    22.09.2003
    Location
    Kidderminster
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyForester View Post
    Never have I seen so much whineing after a contest result - but as the saying goes "that's life". Live to accept the fact that you cannot win all of the time just because you think you have to.
    To declare my interests (or lack thereof) first: this isn't 'my' area. I wasn't at the contest. I didn't hear any of the bands. I'm not playing or conducting at any area contest at all this year.

    It's true we each can't win all the time, and at times the traditional sport of "adjudicator-bating" does get out of hand. But the thought occurs that perhaps so many people are criticising particular individuals because they actually haven't done a very good job.

    I'm not saying it's definitely the case. I have no idea either way because, as I say, I wasn't there. But before we're so quick to say that one shouldn't criticise the judges - are they really infallible? No they certainly aren't. And if we really believe they aren't up to the task, we should point that out.

    The one thing I would back up though is those posters in various threads who have pointed out that having a moan on here isn't enough. If you have genuine concerns, write to the ABBA and the contest organiser.

  9. #144
    tMP Friend in Training
    Join Date
    20.05.2007
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMusicMan View Post
    Please, when feelings are running as high as they obviously are right now, be considerate to players of other bands, to fellow band members AND to the adjudicators who have no easy task.
    The collective gasp of surprise that went around the audience when Polysteel were announced in third place, and the subsequent comments that myself and members of the band received, certainly suggested that many people believed we should have received a higher placing. However, we aren't the first, and certainly won't be the last to experience this. I'm fairly new to contesting (since November 2006) and I'm still trying to come to terms with the disappointment that comes with playing well, but not receiving a placing that is hoped for, but that's still no excuse.

    With the benefit of hindsight, I can see that I shouldn't have posted a comment about the adjudicators last night, and I wouldn't have any complaints if it was removed. When feelings are running high it's probably best to say nothing, because complaining only gives people the chance to make incorrect assumptions about your attitude and that of your band.

    In spite of what people might think, I can assure you all that none of the members of Polysteel Band believe we have a God-given right to just turn up and win every contest. I'm sorry if I've given that impression by my previous comment. I'll try and say nothing after contests in the future.

    Congratulations to Mount Charles and Woodfalls, I hope you do well at the RAH.

  10. #145
    tMP Friend for Life Accidental's Avatar
    Join Date
    25.09.2003
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    3,114
    isn't it funny how all the negative comments about adjudication & adjudcators come AFTER the contest.............

    to KL - it has been discussed before, a lot, and imho its a terrible idea! Surely bands should just strive to get the right notes in the right places, in time, in tune and in the style they think suits themselves & the piece best. I'd rather trust the adjudicator is going into the contest with an open mind, prepared to be pleasantly surprised by different interpratations. Its subjective, and there will always be some disagreement with the results. As others have already said, if you don't like it you don't have to do the contests.
    Alex
    my posts are my views only, I am not speaking for my band or any other organisation

  11. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by Bari2 View Post
    The collective gasp of surprise that went around the audience when Polysteel were announced in third place, and the subsequent comments that myself and members of the band received, certainly suggested that many people believed we should have received a higher placing. However, we aren't the first, and certainly won't be the last to experience this. I'm fairly new to contesting (since November 2006) and I'm still trying to come to terms with the disappointment that comes with playing well, but not receiving a placing that is hoped for, but that's still no excuse.

    With the benefit of hindsight, I can see that I shouldn't have posted a comment about the adjudicators last night, and I wouldn't have any complaints if it was removed. When feelings are running high it's probably best to say nothing, because complaining only gives people the chance to make incorrect assumptions about your attitude and that of your band.

    In spite of what people might think, I can assure you all that none of the members of Polysteel Band believe we have a God-given right to just turn up and win every contest. I'm sorry if I've given that impression by my previous comment. I'll try and say nothing after contests in the future.

    Congratulations to Mount Charles and Woodfalls, I hope you do well at the RAH.
    That's the spirit, thanks for the post.

    Maybe you should have won, maybe not - I don't know because I wasn't there and therefore cannot express my opinion on any bands performance. However, I do know this... in banding we all of us go through periods of 'win somes and lose somes', it's all cyclical. I have certainly been in that position both as a player and as a conductor, and it was very hard to swallow indeed. However things eventually balance out eventually, and it becomes fair in the world once again.

    I can only echo what has been said in several threads on tMP. If you genuinely feel you have been hard done by, feel free to complain to the ABBA and your local regional council or contest secretary.

    Yes, tMP is a platform for discussions, but nothing will get done by posting on here, the correct forum for that are ABBA, Regional Councils and the Contest Secretariat.

  12. #147
    tMP Friend in Training
    Join Date
    11.12.2002
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    16

    Smile Come on now chaps, no more wingeing...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bari2 View Post
    In spite of what people might think, I can assure you all that none of the members of Polysteel Band believe we have a God-given right to just turn up and win every contest. I'm sorry if I've given that impression by my previous comment. I'll try and say nothing after contests in the future.

    Congratulations to Mount Charles and Woodfalls, I hope you do well at the RAH.
    Hear, hear George, but make sure that you keep your "vocals" to yourself (I think you know what I mean...).

    As you say, we do not consider that we have a right to win every contest that we attend as at the end of the day, however well we play (or think we played) it is the decision of the adjudicators, which by its very nature has to be a subjective decision based on their expectations/likes etc.

    I suspect that our interpretation may have contained slightly more ingredients than were listed on the adjudicator's tin and that's the risk we take. Still we know that it went very well, and that the audience liked our performance. It's not the first time that this has happened [to us] and I'm sure it won't be the last.
    Last edited by dickiesplitz; 10.03.2008 at 12:24. Reason: typo

  13. #148
    tMP Friend in Training
    Join Date
    01.03.2007
    Posts
    16

    League Tables

    MOD WARNING: THESE LEAGUE TABLES ARE NOT OFFICIAL


    Here is my attempt at the league tables for this year, subject to change.
    Will update the website as soon as possible.

    Following on from the Gloucester thread we had a mixed bunch of results in Swindon this year with Aldbourne and Swindon Pegasus having a rough time of it Swindon Brass 10th and Brunel Brass winning the fourth section.

    Still its nice to have such a broad representation across the sections from one town, all of which is good for banding.

    Well done to Brunel by the way I have heard a number of extremely favourable comments on the performance.

    Apologies for the format but the forum is a bit awkward to post tables to the forum I have tried alsorts but seem to be getting nowhere!!

    Championship
    Band Name 2006 2007 2008 Total C/F
    Mount Charles 1 2 1 4 3
    Polysteel 3 1 3 7 4
    SWT Woodfalls 4 3 2 9 5
    Camborne 2 4 6 12 10
    St Keverne 6p 6p 4 16 10
    Lydbrook 6p 9 5 20 14
    Bournemouth Brass 6 6 10 22 16
    Aldbourne 5 5 12 22 17
    Yeovil Town 7 7 8 22 15
    St Austell 8 8 7 23 15
    Hyde 6p 6p 11 23 17
    Poole Borough 6p 11 9 26 20


    First
    Band Name 2006 2007 2008 Total C/F
    Helston Town 1p 3 1 5 4
    St Dennis 7p 4 5 16 9
    Otterbourne Brass 9 6 2 17 8
    Sherborne Town 7r 7r 3 17 10
    Lympstone SWT 7p 9 4 20 13
    Ocean Brass 7p 7p 6 20 13
    Portishead Town 7p 7p 7 21 14
    Chalford 7 7 8 22 15
    Woodfalls Concert 11 2 10 23 12
    Bodmin 7r 8 9 24 17
    Lanner and District 7r 7r 12 26 19
    Swindon Pegasus 4 12 13 29 25
    City of Bristol 7r 14a 11 32 25
    Cinderford 8 11 14 33 25


    Second
    Band Name 2006 2007 2008 Total C/F
    Soundhouse Brass 3 5 3 11 8
    Michelmersh Silver 6 6 4 16 10
    Shrewton Silver 7 11 2 20 13
    Camborne 'B' 8p 7p 5 20 12
    Filton Concert Brass 8 3 10 21 13
    Bristol East 12 8 1 21 9
    Forest of Dean 8r 7r 6 21 13
    Gillingham Imperial 8p 7 8 23 15
    Phoenix (Crewekerne) 13 4 7 24 11
    St Pinnock 8p 7p 11 26 18
    Solent Concert 8r 7r 12 27 19
    Lydmet Lydney 8r 9 13a 30 22
    South Molton 8p 13 9 30 22
    Test Valley Brass 8r 14a 13a 35 27
    Torbay Brass 14 10 13w 37 23


    Third
    Band Name 2006 2007 2008 Total C/F
    Verwood Concert 7.5p 4 1 12.5 5
    Heyl Town 7.5r 6 4 17.5 10
    Pendennis Brass 7.5p 8p 3 18.5 11
    Denmead Brass 7 7 5 19 12
    Corsham 10 3 8 21 11
    Bugle 6 9 6 21 15
    Bath Spa 7.5r 13 2 22.5 15
    Wooton Under Edge 13 2 9 24 11
    St Sythians 7.5r 8r 10 25.5 18
    Pillowell Silver 9 11 7 27 18
    Sidmouth Town 7.5p 8p 12 27.5 20
    AW Parker ( Drybrook 7.5p 8 14 29.5 22
    Launceston Town 3 14 13 30 27
    Weston Brass 7.5r 12 11 30.5 23
    Bendix Kingswood 7.5r 8r 15a 30.5 23


    Fourth
    Band Name 2006 2007 2008 Total C/F
    Bream Silver 4 3 4 11 7
    Wincanton Silver 3 13 2 18 15
    Brunel Brass 13.5nb 5 1 19.5 6
    Tewkesbury Town 10 8 8 26 16
    Totnes 13.5r 11.5r 3 28 14.5
    Weymouth Brass 13 9 6 28 15
    Shanklin Town 11 12 5 28 17
    Swindon Brass 9 11 10 30 21
    Chalford Academy 14 10 7 31 17
    Hatherleigh Silver 8 6 17 31 23
    Torrington Silver 7 15 13 35 28
    Downton 13.5r 11.5r 11 36 22.5
    Spinnaker Brass 13.5nb 13.5nb 12 39 25.5
    New Forest Brass 18 17 9 44 26
    Cheltenham Silver 26 7 15 48 22
    Bideford Town 15 19 14 48 33
    Marshfield 13.5nb 18 18 49.5 36
    St Breward Silver 27a 2 21a 50 23
    Bratton Silver 13.5r 16 21w 50.5 37
    Okehampton 20 14 19 53 33
    Saltash Town 12 23a 21a 56 44
    Calne Silver 13.5r 23a 21a 57.5 44
    Porthleven 19 23a 16 58 39
    Shaftesbury Town 16 23a 21a 60 44
    Constantine Silver 17 23a 21a 61 44
    Wilton & District 21 22 21a 64 43
    Gosport Silver 25 20 20 65 40
    Watchet RBL 23 21 21a 65 42
    Brixham Town 22 23a 21a 66 44
    Midsomer Norton 24 23a 21a 68 44
    Christchurch 27a 23a 21a 71 44
    Nailsworth Silver 27w 23w 21a 71 44
    Sandleheath 27a 23a 21a 71 44
    Winchcombe Brass 27a 23a 21a 71 44

    Last edited by Jan H; 10.03.2008 at 12:54.

  14. #149
    tMP Friend in Training
    Join Date
    20.05.2007
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiesplitz View Post
    Still we know that it went very well, and that the audience liked our performance.
    ...and that's the reason I play. I know people that still can't believe I've gone from playing Solo Euph with a well known SA band to 2nd Baritone with Polysteel, but I get so much enjoyment playing great music with great musicians.

    Philip Harper was pleased with our performance, and I suspect although he'll be disappointed with the result, I think he always prefers us to play well and get a bad result, rather than play badly and get a good result. You'll know the occasions I refer to.

    See you Thursday, and I'll keep working on the vocals for the next time we perform "that" piece.

  15. #150
    tMP Senior Friend
    Join Date
    06.01.2008
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by mute-ation View Post
    Following on from the Gloucester thread we had a mixed bunch of results in Swindon this year with Aldbourne and Swindon Pegasus having a rough time of it Swindon Brass 10th and Brunel Brass winning the fourth section.

    Still its nice to have such a broad representation across the sections from one town, all of which is good for banding.
    Well it would be, if all of these bands weren't struggling for players.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •