Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Official tMP Welsh Regional 2008 thread

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    I don't see why.

Bearing in mind the number of tasks the secretary has at such a time, I don't see why they should chase up people who haven't entered, people have to take responsibility for their own situations, not try and lay the blame at someone else's door.
    Shouldnt we be trying to put systems in place to ensure the maximum entries to contests though. I know it creates work but in the end, if no one entered in time someone would have to start making phonecalls, so why not set it up that way from the beginning?
    Jonathan Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by JonP View Post
    Shouldnt we be trying to put systems in place to ensure the maximum entries to contests though. I know it creates work but in the end, if no one entered in time someone would have to start making phonecalls, so why not set it up that way from the beginning?
    Each band's contest secretary only has his/her own band to worry about. The regional secretary has enough on his/her plate without having to chase up tardy entries.

Perhaps we need a new thread "When should the Contest Secretary leave?"

The reason there is a rule regarding entry close date is I guess due to the amount of preparatory work required prior to arranging the event, it's not down to association secretaries to chase bands of they haven't entered - that ball rests firmly and squarely with band secretaries. I would imagine that information on the closing dates for the major competitions is readily available.

Don't challenge the secretary, but certainly challenge the rule as to why there is whatever time between closing date and contest date.

Scenario: band wants to enter contest they have never entered before, band secretary contacts contest secretary who advises the band sec that the closing date has passed, band secretary says how ridiculous this is and that the contest secretary should have informed band secretary about closing date...

Get it...!

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wherryman View Post
    Each band's contest secretary only has his/her own band to worry about. The regional secretary has enough on his/her plate without having to chase up tardy entries.

Perhaps we need a new thread "When should the Contest Secretary leave?"

Ok Ok, lets stay on topic here shall we. Im just suggestinjg that the whole problem could be avoided completely if there was a reminder system. How hard can it be?
    Jonathan Pippen

Ok Ok, lets stay on topic here shall we. Im just suggestinjg that the whole problem could be avoided completely if there was a reminder system. How hard can it be?
    Fine for competitions where the band has entered previously Jon, but only for these competitions.

The problem could also be avoided if the band secretary did their job correctly.

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMusicMan View Post
    Fine for competitions where the band has entered previously Jon, but only for these competitions.

The problem could also be avoided if the band secretary did their job correctly.

Yep absolutely, For the area though, everyband must have entered before unless they have been newly graded by the association so wouldnt the association know the name of every band eligable?
    Last edited by 2nd man down; 22.03.2008 at 09:13. Reason: oops, edited instead of quoted..again
    Jonathan Pippen

Yep absolutely, For the area though, everyband must have entered before unless they have been newly graded by the association so wouldnt the association know the name of every band eligable?

Not neccessarily, up until i joined emley the band hadn't competed in the area's for a long number of years, however they had been eligible to do so all that time. Should they have been contacted year after inactive year on the off chance that one year they would compete again? I'm sure this goes for quite a high number of bands.

If a band intends to enter a contest, the bands contest sec should sort it, that includes finding out and making sure the entry is in in time. Miss it, you wait till next year.
    Not just quite emulating last years successes!
    2009/2010 Stocksbridge Band Club "Most Entertaining Band"

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd man down View Post
    Not neccessarily, up until i joined emley the band hadn't competed in the area's for a long number of years, however they had been eligible to do so all that time. Should they have been contacted year after inactive year on the off chance that one year they would compete again? .
    I would say yes. Why not?
    Jonathan Pippen

I do actually agree with you Jon, but only up to a point. It is certainly in everyones interests to get as many bands competing in the regionals as possible, and yes it would be good if there were a system where all bands registered in a region are contacted either by mail, email or telephone well prior to the closing date. But really, this is something that falls under the remit of the band secretary to undertake, not the regional secretaries.

Better I think to challenge the rule that defines why there is a closing date.

just a quick cursory glance at IBEW shows 88 bands currently in existance and eligible to play in the yorkshire area alone. In 2008 only 57 competed. This doesn't account for newly formed/merged outfits that may spring up before next year

Thats 31 letters to send to bands who probably won't be there, and 88 plus bands to keep track of to make sure they've all registered, replied, gone under, not likely to compete etc.

Wouldn't it be easier just to let the bands take care of themselves rather than kiddy state looking after them?
    Not just quite emulating last years successes!
    2009/2010 Stocksbridge Band Club "Most Entertaining Band"

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd man down View Post

Wouldn't it be easier just to let the bands take care of themselves rather than kiddy state looking after them?
    Yea i suppose your right, but on one hand we are all complaining and moaning because not enough bands enter, we cant fill decent venues for contests and on the other hand we dont want to help each other in anyway at all.

Surely we either all look after each other to try and ensure that everyone enters or at least has every opportunity to do so, even if that means a reminder system, or as John has suggested why do we need closing dates at all fo the area?

Why not Just list all bands eligable in the programme and at the draw you will find who is entered. Put that up on a list at the front of the hall after the draw. Why Not? In fact, thats a much better idea than all the fussing with enry forms at all. Good idea Music Man.
    Jonathan Pippen

Why not Just list all bands eligable in the programme and at the draw you will find who is entered. Put that up on a list at the front of the hall after the draw. Why Not? In fact, thats a much better idea than all the fussing with enry forms at all. Good idea Music Man.
    That's not at all what John said - he said question the need for a closing date which doesn't mean that there isn't reason for having one.
    Put yourself in the shoes of the organisers trying to a) work out timings for the day, b) deciding whether or not a pre draw is needed, c ) understanding the finances you have available (based on known entry fees) .
    Try running a contest yourself or getting involved with your local association/regional committee and see how these things are actually run.
    (for the record, I have done both). It also looks a lot easier in your part of the world where there are less bands. (L&SC had 79 who turned up on the day compared to 43 in Wales).
    Out of curiosity, did the band you conduct forget to enter or choose not to enter?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMusicMan View Post
    I
    Better I think to challenge the rule that defines why there is a closing date.
    John, I don't often disagree with you but... tell me of any contest you can enter which does NOT have a closing date - I suspect you will be hard pushed to find one.

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by andywooler View Post
    Out of curiosity, did the band you conduct forget to enter or choose not to enter?
    I was not conducting the band, i said, if you would be kind enough to read before you post, and stop ass u me ing, that it was a band i used to be involved with.

The aggressive attitude is not deserved here, as i think the aggressive attitude that bands receive when thier entries are late also dont deserve.

It may be diffucult to organise these things, but if it is so, why dont the guys who do oraganise them change things to make it eassier. Perhaps in your area you would prefer to have less bands enter. Would make your job easier after all.
    Jonathan Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by andywooler View Post
    John, I don't often disagree with you but... tell me of any contest you can enter which does NOT have a closing date - I suspect you will be hard pushed to find one.
    Hi Andy

You're right, there isn't one, but I don't understand your question sorry. In the previous post you (and I thank you for it) correct Jon as to what I meant - and you were right in your understanding opf what I meant, and to correct John for 'putting words in my mouth'... forum-wise I mean!

I am not suggesting that we don't or shouldn't have a closing date to a contest, just suggesting challenging the rule that defines when this date is. A month before... why? Two months before... why? Whatever date before... why...?

If contest sec's need a month then that's fine... but why a month?

That's all Andy...

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast