Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Official tMP Scottish Regional 2008 thread

tMP Friend in Training Markbone's Avatar
    Sore Wasn't really feeling like havin 2 get up 4 it, but no could I miss today's show! Not really good 4 much apart from on the computer just now haha how r u today after the celebrations?!
    Mark Good
    Whitburn Band

Congratulations to Campbeltown - just sorry that we didn't finish 2nd to you again after last March and the Challenge Cup, but overall we're reasonably happy with 7th in our first year up in second section - all the best for Harrogate. I hope that the young lady who was unable to "celebrate" Campbeltown's success last March 'cos she was about to become a mummy enjoyed a wee glass or two last night! Congrats too to Johnstone, and commiserations to Croy who just missed out in 3rd.

Will be interesting to see folks' thoughts on the venue - sadly not the best in terms of space / accomodation for instruments etc, but the hall staff were pleasant and a huge thank-you to the SBBA team who worked their collective socks off once again to ensure the smooth running of the day.
    As at Perth in November, we were fortunate in having the professionalism and sheer class of Alastair Hutton as compere - an absolute delight.
    perthshirebrass.co.uk
    Three time tMP Caption Competition winner - only thing I've ever won...........

Just had alook at some other results - big congratulations to Clackmannan! Will you still be speaking to your old bandmates now that you'll be in the Championship section, Katy and Jack??!
    perthshirebrass.co.uk

Section 1

Sunday 9 March
    Adjudicators: David Thornton & Steve Sykes
    James Cook - Circumnavigator - Gilbert Vinter
    Commences: 1030

1. Bo'ness and Carriden, M. Marzella, 6, 190
    2. Clackmannan District Brass, P. Kiernan, 4, 189
    3. Lochgelly, P. Drury, 1, 187
    4. Barrhead Burgh, M. Ramsay, 5, 186
    5. Kirkintilloch Kelvin Brass, C. Keenan, 7, 185
    6. Bathgate, J. Smith, 3, 184
    7. Broxburn and Livingston, K. Price, 8, 183
    8. Arbroath Instrumental, M. Robertson, 2, 182
    9. St. Ronan's Silver, A. Knox, 9, 180
    10. Granite City Brass, E. Paley, 10, 179

Top 2 bands qualify
    Soloist: Richard Tobin, Bo'ness and Carriden

Courtesy of 4BarsRest
    It wasn't me I wasn't there I didn't do it

tMP Senior Friend The-Wee-Timpanist's Avatar
    Woooo! Go Annan! We're going to Harrogate!!
    Rachael
    Percussion

Scottish Championship Section

1. Whitburn, R. Gray, 3, 193
    2. Kirkintilloch, S. Simonsen, 8, 192
    3. Kingdom Brass, C. Anderson, 7, 189
    4. Scottish Co-op, A. Ramsay, 9, 188
    5. Unison Kinneil, C. McKenzie, 6, 184
    6. Bon-Accord Silver, M. Hansen, 10, 182
    7. Dalmellington, A. Hutchison, 1, 181
    8. Newtongrange, R. Farr, 2, 180
    9. Dunaskin Doon, J. Boax, 4, 177
    10. Newmilns and Galston, A. McCutcheon, 5, 175

Top 2 bands qualify
    Soloist: coming later

Courtesy of 4barsrest

An interesting day at the Scottish. Acoustics were a lot different to what I expected. Has any changes been made to the structure of the halls in recent years?
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

The principal difference that I noticed from when Grimethorpe played there a few years back was the actual staging - I am sure that Grimey played on the flat floor of the hall without even the three foot high temporary stage used over the weekend. Could this have some effect on the acoustic, which was very dry indeed?
    perthshirebrass.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    Just had alook at some other results - big congratulations to Clackmannan! Will you still be speaking to your old bandmates now that you'll be in the Championship section, Katy and Jack??!
    Of course Brian Its always a pleasure! Disappointed to miss you lot yesterday but we were rehearsing till 3. You will be pleased with that, very respectable 7th, and great to see PB staying up in the 2nd section - definately overdue and the only was is up! Mr A used to always say that the band should be in the 2nd section and he's right

Aye we were delighted today, Championship section will be a challenge but looking forward to it! We'll just get Harrogate over with first though!

Well done to everyone over the weekend - Cambeltown, what a result! And good to see other Fife bands doing well - congrats to Bo'ness, and Kingdom for a fantastic 3rd place in the Championship section.

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    Could this have some effect on the acoustic, which was very dry indeed?
    - I don't mind dry stage acoustics as long as it doesn't make you feel too isolated from the band, but the lighting was kinda hot! Sitting at various points throughout the hall still revealed detail from performances and also vibration from the floor of the seating gallery when any band dared to power bass section and bass drum.

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

Didnt seem as dry as Id thot it be, in fact I quite liked it, didnt feel isolated at all and seemed loud enough even tho I wasnt honking it out too much!

There was a row of lights behind Craig that kinda blinded me from him abit, but as usual the sweat was pouring off with being quite warm under the lights!
    Last edited by BbBill; 10.03.2008 at 00:54.
    Willie Ralston
    Bb Bass
    Campbeltown Brass
    Scottish 3rd Section Champions 2007
    Scottish 2nd Section Champions 2008!!!
    "Tartan Brass" Whit Friday Tartan Army!!
    YABB

Quote Originally Posted by BbBill View Post
    Didnt seem as dry as Id thot it be, in fact I quite liked it, didnt feel isolated at all and seemed loud enough even tho I wasnt honking it out too much!

There was a row of lights behind Craig that kinda blinded me from him abit, but as usual the sweat was pouring off with being quite warm under the lights!
    Congrats on your win on Saturday and Craig must also be chuffed at Kingdom getting 3rd. Pity I never saw you to say hello and let you try that ex-mouthpiece of Steve Sykes.

tMP Friend in Training Colin Hogg's Avatar
    I would like to congratulate the organisers at the Scottish Areas. I have conducted and played at most other area venues, but the organisation at Glenrothes was the best I have come across. Some one had gone to a lot of trouble to guess the running order timings. Each band knew exactly where they had to be and at what time. Selkirk and I were drawn 11, but the timings were only a few minutes out when we went on.
    The results were quick and after the top 3 were given, the whole section was shown on the over head screen on the stage. So no running around asking othe bands where they came so you could get the final places!!
    Well done.
    Also like to thank all at Selkirk for making me so welcome, hope we can do it again some time.
    Colin Hogg

tMP Master Friend
    Thought the Championships were excellently run over the weekend. It was a great atmosphere yesterday with the hall very busy most of the time. Even my band with the dreaded no.1 draw was playing to a reasonably well filled hall. Hopefully we will be back to the Rothes Halls again.

As for acoustics I was pretty happy with what was on offer. Had the chance to sit in the adjudicator's spot in the hall in the week running up to the contest and from there you could hear absolutely everything.

Great result for Kingdom, well done to Whitburn on an overdue Scottish title, and well done to my two bands, Kirkie getting back to London after a disappointing second half of 2007 and Lochgelly on a brilliant third place in 1st section off a number one draw! Had a premonition about that.

Well done to my pal Willie Ralston and his Cambeltown crew, fantastic result to beat a good band like Johnstone, and well done Jim Chamberlain and Dalkeith. Back in the 2nd section at the first attempt.
    Paul Drury
    MD, Tullis Russell Mills Band

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgie boy View Post
    Great result for Kingdom, well done to Whitburn on an overdue Scottish title, and well done to my two bands, Kirkie getting back to London after a disappointing second half of 2007 and Lochgelly on a brilliant third place in 1st section off a number one draw! Had a premonition about that.

Well done to my pal Willie Ralston and his Cambeltown crew, fantastic result to beat a good band like Johnstone, and well done Jim Chamberlain and Dalkeith. Back in the 2nd section at the first attempt.
    Thanks Paul. Well done to you and Lochgelly! In fact, congrats to all prizewinners. What a great weekend! I actually made it to work this morning, albeit with a very sore head......................

One question remains though, did Mr. Pritchard-Jones write anything positive over the weekend?? I don't think he was too impressed with any of the 3rd section bands!! Thankfully, Steve Sykes gave us a much more positive crit.

Roll on Harrogate / London / Ostend / Prestonpans...................
    Jim Chamberlain
    Conductor - Dalkeith & Monktonhall Band
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be worth doing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast