Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Putting Unleaded in a Diesel car

I've put diesel in my unleaded car (my previous one, not my lovely current one [103500 miles and just had it's first repair outside of routine servicing!!] ). Fortunately, I noticed as I read the receipt on the way out of the garage, so didn't start it. I called the RAC who rescued my car and took it to my local garage. It didn't cost toooo much to drain and clean the tank before I could refill with unleaded. Doh!
    Midlands Regional Champions, 2nd Section - 2011

tMP Friend for Life Anno Draconis's Avatar
    It's less expensive if you realise before you start the engine, because the tank can usually be pumped out and flushed with diesel without major stripping down. Once you've tried to start the engine and sent UL through the diesel injectors, you're in a world of pain. Apparently it's not so much the fuel itself as the abrasive engine cleaners that are routinely added to UL petrol which cause the damage.

One of my colleagues put diesel in a petrol van once; he'd got about 10 in before I realised what he was doing and stopped him. It's less of an issue that way round, he brimmed the tank with unleaded to dilute the diesel and it ran OK. Created some serious clouds of black smoke on the way down Oldham Road while the diesel burnt off though
    Andrew Baker

Quote Originally Posted by Anno Draconis View Post
    One of my colleagues put diesel in a petrol van once; he'd got about 10 in before I realised what he was doing and stopped him. It's less of an issue that way round, he brimmed the tank with unleaded to dilute the diesel and it ran OK. Created some serious clouds of black smoke on the way down Oldham Road while the diesel burnt off though
    I've heard of that before. It'll save a few pennies instead of having to get your tank scraped

tMP Senior Friend
    My daughter put 2.00 of unleaded into my diesel once, I was advised by my mechanic just to fill with dieel and it would do the injectors the world of good and give them a good clean. ran the car for a further 60000 miles after with no apparent harm done.
    Principal 3rd Triangle
    Can't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow

I put 60 of petrol in our van about 6 months ago, (think I started a thread about it too!), I realised just as I was putting the nozzle back in the pump, doh! The garage where I used to work is accross the road so I got a tow over and drained the tank myself.

Used all the petrol for the quad bike, strimmer and lawnmower, so wasnt a complete disaster, but with the rip-off price of fuel in this country, its not the best thing to do!!!
    Willie Ralston
    Bb Bass
    Campbeltown Brass
    Scottish 3rd Section Champions 2007
    Scottish 2nd Section Champions 2008!!!
    "Tartan Brass" Whit Friday Tartan Army!!
    YABB

tMP Friend for Life

Quote Originally Posted by Anno Draconis View Post
    One of my colleagues put diesel in a petrol van once
    I've also heard of this being done, a friend of my mum's did it once and I can only repeat the question her irate husband asked when she phoned him to bring the tow-truck:
    "HOW THE ****** HELL DID YOU DO THAT YOU STUPID WOMAN?!"
    Diesel nozzles are too big to fit in modern petrol vehicles. You have to be pretty determined to get the wretched stuff into the tank in the first place.
    Her reply? "Well I thought it was a bit odd"...
    BMB
    xx
    Brass bands are all very well in their place - outdoors and several miles away.
    Sir Thomas Beecham

tMP Prime Friend
    retirement home in Yorks. for simple souls.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmamabadger View Post
    I've also heard of this being done, a friend of my mum's did it once and I can only repeat the question her irate husband asked when she phoned him to bring the tow-truck:
    "HOW THE ****** HELL DID YOU DO THAT YOU STUPID WOMAN?!"
    Diesel nozzles are too big to fit in modern petrol vehicles. You have to be pretty determined to get the wretched stuff into the tank in the first place.
    Her reply? "Well I thought it was a bit odd"...
    BMB
    xx
    It amazes me that a member of the wonderful female species could do such a thing. She must of had her mind on other more important matters --
    hair, nails, make-up etc.
    Good job she had such an understanding hubby

Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Robhibberd29 View Post
    Maybe shaggy will feel obliged to post to this thread in order to defend himself. I'm sure it will be someone's fault!
    It'll be the Mods' fault again, of course.

I put unleaded in a Work truck once, Had to drain the tank get towed back to the bowser and refil with deisel, It actually ran better, The unleaded cleaned the injectors out. Cost a bit though (2 tanks of fuel )
    Last edited by Aussie Tuba; 14.12.2007 at 23:57. Reason: Fix up
    Aussie Tuba
    Eb Bass
    Windsor Brass

tMP Prime Friend
    A colleague of mine filled her diesel "car" (Citroen Berlingo!) up with unleaded last week which cost her 140 large to sort plus refilling with the right fuel and that was without starting the engine. She knew not to start the engine as she had done it the month before! Oh dear! Me thinks it should be part of the driving test if people do it as often as this.
    I know another colleague of mine had been told her oil was low and it needed filling up. She enquired as to where to fill it then preceded to fill it until it was absolutely brimmed right up to the top of the filler cap with oil.
    Oh dear. Again.
    Rob Hibberd
    Bass Trombone
    Yorkshire Imps

Typical of a mod to come in to a lovely fluffy snuggly little heart warming thread like this, and and introduce a totally unnecessary, jarring, deleberately provocative note, to a charming, uplifting seasonal anecdote, about the triumph of good over evil during at this time of good will to all men.

Its people like this who ruin the site for everyone else!

How is the car?

Its fine mate, thanks for asking! the secret is not to start the ****** thing after you have realised what you have done, fortunately for me i did spot my error before firing it up. The cost was a couple of hundred quid, including the breakdown recovery. The garage said it would have cost thousands if i had started the engine!

So I'm afraid its bad news for music lovers between now and xmas, because I am back on the road!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Its fine mate, thanks for asking! the secret is not to start the ****** thing after you have realised what you have done, fortunately for me i did spot my error before firing it up. The cost was a couple of hundred quid, including the breakdown recovery. The garage said it would have cost thousands if i had started the engine!

So I'm afraid its bad news for music lovers between now and xmas, because I am back on the road!!
    Forget about the cost! You'd have been unable to do our band job that evening. How would you have coped with the guilt?
    Daniel Robinson
    BFlat Bass Barnsley Building Society Band
    BFlat Bass Killamarsh Silver Band

Any views expressed on here are solely mine, so please don't tell my conductor!

Confused

If he put unleaded diesel in then what other kind of diesel is there? Im confused
    Flugel - floating about for a bit!

Emley awards 2010 - most persecuted player
    Emley awards 2010 - 'The Emley Award'
    Emley awards 2009 - most persecuted player

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast