Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: National Finals - 3rd Section Test Piece : Imperium

Hybrid View

National Finals - 3rd Section Test Piece : Imperium

Order details and discussion for the National Finals Third Section Test Piece :

Imperium Bruce Fraser
    Lomond Music
    32 Bankton Park
    Kingskettle
    Fife
    Scotland
    KY15 7PY
    Tel.: (01337) 830974
    Midlands Regional Champions, 2nd Section - 2011

Nice!!!

Orderd the piece from Just Music last week and still waiting - Do i need to go direct to Bruce Fraser? Didn;t think I had to as there is sound clips and the story to go with the piece on Just Music's website
    Chris Williams

Conductor - Menai Bridge Band

The Future's bright, the future's Ginger!

We're still waiting too........!!

Thats pretty typical of Just Music really, give it another couple of weeks.....!!
    Willie Ralston
    Bb Bass
    Campbeltown Brass
    Scottish 3rd Section Champions 2007
    Scottish 2nd Section Champions 2008!!!
    "Tartan Brass" Whit Friday Tartan Army!!
    YABB

Quote Originally Posted by BbBill View Post
    We're still waiting too........!!

Thats pretty typical of Just Music really, give it another couple of weeks.....!!
    I ordered our copy direct from the Publisher, paid on-line and it was here in two days - excellent service.

Yeh I know, told our secretary to do that but she'd already ordered it along with some other stuff! Will they ever learn?!
    Willie Ralston
    Bb Bass
    Campbeltown Brass
    YABB

Has anyone played through it yet? What do people think?

Definitely something for 3rd section bands to get their teeth into!!
    Lauren Straker
    Friary Guildford Brass Band

tMP Friend in Training
    Hiya, We have played it throught 3 or 4 times now and it's going to be a cracking piece and a stern test. Not to much under the fingers apart from E flat bass that has got a nightmare of a part. First bar forte F to top A! Nice. Tenor horn opens 2nd movement on it's own. Nice long euph solo and the top cornet has a quiet solo which in some points is high in the register. Third movement is very bold to start and then quickly shifts tempo to a lively pace.

The problem I think will be with how to play it. It needs to be played loud and big aka pines of rome but many 3rd section bands won't have that sound and that could make them sound harsh. If they do that it will sound ****** awful but if it's not played with a firm dynamic then it will sound sound weak.

Is it a question of going all out like the roman army did or playing it safe?

The piece arrived on saturday morning - I did try ordering from the publisher but can't get the website to load properly and tried phoning but kept getting no answer.

Looks interesting - should have a fun summer holiday this year working on that!
    Chris Williams

Conductor - Menai Bridge Band

The Future's bright, the future's Ginger!

We had a blow through it tonight, despite a few folk not being there, so hard to get the overall picture of it and also with everybody sightreading it! But I think it will grow on me!

Sounds quite interesting tho, and quite alot of loud bits I see!! Spent most of night on 1st movement, but in the 3rd movement, I think some bands could end up going like the clappers from the Presto!

Should be good to work on it, fitting it all together through the summer.
    Willie Ralston
    Bb Bass
    Campbeltown Brass
    YABB

Had a first run last night, looks like fun!

1st movt is Roman fanfare followed by a fugue, 2nd is nice slow one with euph solo followed by cornet (top Bb mp to ff in one bar then to top B over top of band all at ff, after already solo for 16 bars or so, crotchet=60, gonna be fun!). 3rd starts off loud a la end of Pines of Rome/Gladiator then 12/8 Presto very like last movt of "Viscaya", ends up very loud Pines of Rome/Gladiator type ending, then 2nd last bar cornets v.quiet quavers then a big shock note to finish (which we made a complete hash of, eliciting the comment "Is that where he got stabbed?).

Looks pretty good at first reading, a real stamina test, think a few will be straining towards the end if they go at it hammer and tongs. Also think some may be tempted to go faster to save their lips and come a cropper that way.

Now I know why we've been trying Pines Of Rome out for the last three weeks......stamina training!
    Cenosillicaphobic undergoing treatment

Andy Pullin
    Principal Cornet, Eccleston Band.
    http://www.ecclestonbrass.co.uk/

tMP Friend in Training Tuba Dave's Avatar
    We've had a couple of runs through now. I love it! I think its a great test for third section bands. It's certainly one the best eb bass parts ive played for a while and it will keep me occupied for a couple of weeks at least!!

tMP Friend in Training notsosilentbob's Avatar
    It's a massive blow. Not much in it technically for my part but stamina is the key. I was seeing stars after tanking through it in my customary manner the other night . And yes, there is a danger of just razzing through the piece. All bands need to be mindful of that particular pitfall. Also a strong bass end and percussion in particular is a must.

Good luck all

I like the idea of 75 bars of double forte in the start of the last movement!! I think the last movement is really fun for solo cornets.
    All I want is less to do, more time to do it, and higher pay for not getting it done.
    1alexm
    Clifton and Lightcliffe Brass Band - 2nd section
    2nd man down

Thread has gone a bit quiet - has nobody any energy left after rehearsals to post??! This piece is definitely growing on me - a good test all round, one of these Vizcaya-type pieces that are easy to play badly, by which I mean that there are plenty of "tunes" which can get the band racing along, giving it laldy. The devil as always will be in the detail - phrasing, intonation, ensemble playing, dynamics etc etc. Looking forward to our "away" weekend when we get some serious sectional/ensemble work done.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast