Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: National Finals - 2nd Section Test Piece : Toccata, Elegy & Scherzo

National Finals - 2nd Section Test Piece : Toccata, Elegy & Scherzo

Order details and discussion for the National Finals Second Section Test Piece :

Toccata, Elegy & Scherzo Darrol Barry
    Obrasso-Verlag
    Baselstrasse 23c CH-4537 Wiedlisbach Switzerland
    Tel.: ++41(0)32 636 3727 Fax: ++41(0)32 636 2644
    Midlands Regional Champions, 2nd Section - 2011

Just played through it with Granite City band.
    Quite a test for 2nd section bands especially Principal Euphonium.
    Nice middle movement with solos for Cornet, Euph and Flugel no horn solo unfortunately.

Looks like I could be out of retirement - might have to help GCB for old times sake.
    Seeings how it's Dazs music will do it
    Moira Ross

Wink

Really looking forward to our first run thourgh too. Although probably won't be until after the silly summer season to be honest. Give our conductor a chance to undersatnd a new piece and for the band to all get back from holiday.

Nothing worse than trying to look at new piece with half a band!

Great news about the cornet, flugel and euphonium work...especially when you're a horn player like me !!

Bring it on!!

Daz can write beautifuly for horn. I have a solo he did for me and it is beautiful.

First thing I did when I got the music on the stand was to check the Elegy - no luck for me though

Now Darrol if you had been up in Bonnie Scotland you could have taken GCB through your piece - and we could have polished off a few bottles again.
    Rach could have sat and played horn with me as well.

Hope we do your work justice my friend.

Horn player out of retirement for Harrogate - possibly.
    Moira Ross

tMP Prime Friend

Apparently our set has arrived but have yet to clap my eys on it.

Looking forward to it as its a long time since we had a test piece that I have not seen or heard before!

Just hope there is an interesting Bb bass part!!!!
    Ian Clarke,
    BBb Bass, The Cawston Band EABBA Champion Band 2010
    Juggling Baps for London 2012
    Tell 'em Chunky sent ya - For da good stuff!

Hey Chunks forgot to say - cracking tuba part in either the 1st or 3rd movement. Hope the tongue works well!!!!!
    Moira Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
    Apparently our set has arrived but have yet to clap my eys on it.

Looking forward to it as its a long time since we had a test piece that I have not seen or heard before!

Just hope there is an interesting Bb bass part!!!!
    Chunks old boy,we (Kippax) had a run through it last night and I reckon you'll be pleased with the bass part.
    The opening is certainly one to get the tongue going. (I had to double tongue it or it sounded like I was spitting blancmange !!)
    There's plenty to interest and challenge the lower end throughout the piece.
    No comparison to "Tataa ta taa, taa taa tatataa etc"
    You'll like it.
    - Wilkie
    - Mr Wilx

tMP Prime Friend

Quote Originally Posted by iancwilx View Post
    Chunks old boy,we (Kippax) had a run through it last night and I reckon you'll be pleased with the bass part.
    The opening is certainly one to get the tongue going. (I had to double tongue it or it sounded like I was spitting blancmange !!)
    There's plenty to interest and challenge the lower end throughout the piece.
    No comparison to "Tataa ta taa, taa taa tatataa etc"
    You'll like it.
    - Wilkie
    Sounds good Ian, thanks for letting me know. Our parts have arrived but are being kept under wraps till the MD returns from Gibraltar in about 10 days time.

Nearly excited about it now!!! - The test piece not the MD returning!!

Thanks too Moy, never mind the tongue working - does this mean we finally get to meet?
    Ian Clarke,
    BBb Bass, The Cawston Band EABBA Champion Band 2010
    Juggling Baps for London 2012
    Tell 'em Chunky sent ya - For da good stuff!

At the moment yes we will get to meet.
    The only thing stopping that would be Granite City finding another horn player in time for Harrogate.
    So maybe we can buy each other a drink - after we have played of course.

Rach or DAz turn on your B***** mobile - now thinking you're trying to avoid me
    Moira Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    At the moment yes we will get to meet.
    The only thing stopping that would be Granite City finding another horn player in time for Harrogate.
    So maybe we can buy each other a drink - after we have played of course.

Rach or DAz turn on your B***** mobile - now thinking you're trying to avoid me
    Hey Moy!

Its been turned on today, but we have been out with friends who have a bad signal in their area!

Thanks for your comments about the piece, I will try to post something in the next week or so, but really the piece is self explanatary, there is no story behind it.

Hope you all enjoy working on it

Cheers,
    Darrol
    Darrol Barry
    Composer & Arranger
    Royal Guard of Oman

It's - exactly right - a real piece of music - at the correct standard to make the judges' jobs realistic. As far as the GB Brass Band Championships go, the Autumn will certainly be a more enjoyable time for me than the Spring, whatever the eventual outcome… if people will just get their holidays done with… hahhggggg!

Well, I had my first look last night.

Our top second cornet covered the rep part on the band's first run-through last Friday when I was away, so I asked her if the part was hard, and received the cryptic reply "I'm going to let you find out for yourself." When we got halfway through the third movement, I found out why. Nice solo, but fast.

The piece seemed a little disjointed to me, but that will hopefully change once we're more familiar with it and once the players who were away yesterday return, including our sop. It seems a good test around the whole band, and I'm glad we have an excellent solo euph. One thing that really will be tested is the cornet section's tounguing stamina. Pieces I can think of that even approach that amount of fast tonguing are Land of the Long White Cloud and Spectrum, neither of which are second section pieces.

I think I might be digging out my Arban exercises over the summer.
    Owen - Repiano Cornet, The Egham Band

Quote Originally Posted by Owen S View Post
    Pieces I can think of that even approach that amount of fast tonguing are Land of the Long White Cloud and Spectrum, neither of which are second section pieces.
    Spectrum 40 years ago and LWC 30 years ago surely aren't really the bench marks - Second section - Images of the Millennium had fast articulation in the first mov 2 years ago, and many others without entering into a sub debate - but the thing is - when that articulation happens here - it's the whole section - maybe 3 parts (I haven't checked) between 10 players - it's do-able.

Quote Originally Posted by oddbod View Post
    Spectrum 40 years ago and LWC 30 years ago surely aren't really the bench marks - Second section - Images of the Millennium had fast articulation in the first mov 2 years ago, and many others without entering into a sub debate - but the thing is - when that articulation happens here - it's the whole section - maybe 3 parts (I haven't checked) between 10 players - it's do-able.
    Sure, I don't mean it's too hard for the second section, or at least for the second section finals anyway, sorry if it came across that way, merely that the fast tounguing is the main test the cornet section faces, in both the Toccata and Scherzo. I admit I'd forgotten how much there was in Images though, subconsciously blanking it out I suspect.
    Owen - Repiano Cornet, The Egham Band

Anybody have any comments now that we've all had a run through it ?
    - Wilkie
    - Mr Wilx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast