Thread: March composers

March composers

I've been trying to do some research on the dates (birth & death) of brass band march composers. The two names I've become stuck on are George Allan (composer of 'Senator') and Shipley Douglas (composer of 'Mephistopheles'. I've trawled the IBEW site to no avail.
    Can anyone help please?

tMP Newbie
    Hi. GEORGE ALLAN 1864 - 1930. If you want some more info get in touch on robson@lingriggs.wanadoo.co.uk I co.ordinated a CD with 13 George Allan Marches a few years ago. He is a top fellow, as is demonstrated every Whit Friday. I have quite a bit of info available and can let you know how to get hold of our CD. It includes The Wizard, Knight Templar, Battle Abbey, Raby, Senator & 8 more brill marches.

TJ Powell actually dropped dead in a BBC Radio broadcast whilst conducting Cory. 70's I think? don't know if that is any use to you?

Quote Originally Posted by matthetimp View Post
    TJ Powell actually dropped dead in a BBC Radio broadcast whilst conducting Cory. 70's I think? don't know if that is any use to you?
    Thanks for that.
    The only one I'm still stuck with now is Shipley Douglas.
    Still can't find any info on him other than discographies.
    Anyone know any more please?

tMP Newbie
    Hi again,
    I found the following in Roy Newsomes brilliant book, "Brass Roots".

"Shipley Douglas (1868-1920) was at one time a pupil of J. Ord Hume, and his arrangement of the Selection from Die Meistersinger (Wagner) brought him immediate fame." As well as Mephistopheles, he also wrote humourous fantasy "Three Blind Mice", and a march "War & Peace". If you are into studying all this, I can rccommend both of Dr Newsomes books.

Cheers, Steve