Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: National Finals Test Pieces 2007 - what are your preferences?

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hicks View Post
    Hard but achieveable!
    For me, that's the main thrust of what the pieces should be. The competition is effectively a 'winner takes all' shoot-out for the title and promotion to the next section, and as such is a totally different ball game to the Areas where every place counts for every band. Make 'em sweat for it!

Just remember in the haste to give the 1st section Year of the Dragon or similar that the top section still have to play something at own choice contests and the like...!

I personally would like to see some more modern-style music being used. Ok, I didn't think Prague was a very good piece of music, but the style really confused a lot of bands who seemed to dismiss it too easily as 'noise'. It would really expose those bands and MDs who did their homework, and those who didn't.

I would like to see John Adams being commissioned to write a test piece for the top section...Or is that wishful thinking?

Le Roi Dy's - 1st section
    The Essence of Time - 2nd section
    Partita for Band - 3rd section
    St. Austel Suite - 4th section.

Come on lets have a good contest this year with all the bands in each section having to play excellent to challange for a podium place.

Quote Originally Posted by matthetimp View Post
    Partita for Band - 3rd section
    ?

There are several "Partita"s; I assume you're not thinking of the Heaton ...

... nor the Sparke, for that matter ... ?
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

The Essence of Time - 2nd section
    That's the trouble with these sorts of threads; people lose their grip on reality ...
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

St. Austel Suite - 4th section.

Oooooo my first area piece I played on 3rd man down. Don't think it is easy enough to drop to 4th section yet though, even if it is for the finals. I'd love to play it again especially the slow churchyard movement.
    Leicester Co-op

Any gossip on the Championship Section piece? Please - not on oldie this year. Apocalypse anyone?

tMP Friend for Life KMJ Recordings's Avatar
    The Essence of Time - 2nd section.....
    Come on lets have a good contest this year with all the bands in each section having to play excellent to challange for a podium place.

Good contest that'd be when virtually everyone withdraws

Sorry and all that.....
    The views expressed in posts on non-recording and non-technical matters are the personal opinion of the Author, and are not necessarily representative of KMJ Recordings.
    Keith Johnson
    http://www.kmjrecordings.co.uk
    Find us on FACEBOOK

tMP Friend for Life KMJ Recordings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imthemaddude View Post
    Don't think it is easy enough to drop to 4th section yet though, even if it is for the finals.
    The difficulty of a piece never changes.

Perhaps the standards of Bands changes around the piece, but a piece simply just doesn't get easier.
    The views expressed in posts on non-recording and non-technical matters are the personal opinion of the Author, and are not necessarily representative of KMJ Recordings.
    Keith Johnson
    http://www.kmjrecordings.co.uk
    Find us on FACEBOOK

Would love Tallis Variations or Lowry Sketchbook for First section. Nice pieces with lots to do for all.

How about the devil and the deep blue sea- Bourgeois, now that would be a challenge for the championship section. And how about firestorm for the second section.
    Rhys
    Let the music do the talking

Good call for Devil and the Deep blue sea!

Just thought of another for First - Salamander , lovely piece with some great textures. McCabe is a legend!

tMP Friend for Life Anno Draconis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rjones3 View Post
    How about the devil and the deep blue sea- Bourgeois, now that would be a challenge for the championship section
    It certainly was in 1993, when it was the top section test-piece. I played it with NCT and it was a proper swine, especially the fugue. We played a blinder but it didn't matter 'cos Fairey's and Parkes were on awesome, unbeatable form.

How about some Kenneth Downie - St Magnus, or The Promised Land?

I'd like something new for the 3rd section - any chance of a new commission, music panel?
    Andrew Baker

Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    That's the trouble with these sorts of threads; people lose their grip on reality ...
    I know at least 3 bands in the finals who could place this very very well. not saying the others can't as i don't know them that well.

tMP Friend in Training Tuba Dave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anno Draconis View Post
    I'd like something new for the 3rd section - any chance of a new commission, music panel?
    The 3rd section had a new commission two years ago for the finals- ĎA Gallimaufry Suite' by Phillip Harper. i thought it was fantastic and whish we could play it again this year, but i know thats not possible.

I know at least 3 bands in the finals who could place this very very well. not saying the others can't as i don't know them that well.
    Well they must be in totally the wrong section then. Essence of Time would make a good 1st section finals piece though.
    Ian Hayto | Flugel | Enderby Band

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast