Thread: Shaftsbury Institute Band

tMP Senior Friend

Shaftsbury Institute Band

Query from Ann Morrisey - annie@morrisey.fslife.co.uk

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am currently researching my family tree and have found out that my Dad used to march at the front of the Shaftsbury Institute Band (I think it was part of the boys brigade) in the early 1930's. I wondered if anyone has old photographs of this band, as I know their photograph was taken during one of the Whit walks and published in a Manchester Newspaper (unfortunately we've been unable to trace this so far).
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gavin Holman
    Eb Bass & webmaster
    Harrogate Band
    and IBEW

Hi,

I may be on the wrong level here but is it definately Shaftsbury and not Shaftesbury?
    I play with Shaftesbury and it's been going well over 100 years.
    If it is our band, I can happily supply you with some early pics.

tMP Senior Friend Lawrencediana's Avatar
    This also may lead you down the wrong path but their was a Shaftesbury Crusade band in Bristol, which I also believe had something to do with the Sun Life Band but I may be wrong.
    Lawrence Butchart

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrencediana View Post
    This also may lead you down the wrong path but their was a Shaftesbury Crusade band in Bristol, which I also believe had something to do with the Sun Life Band but I may be wrong.
    Not sure about the Sun Life link but they were area champions years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrencediana View Post

Hi - I played for Shaftesbury Crusade Band in the late 70s. The Band in the early 70s were Championship Section and came top 4 in the National Finals. By the end of the 70s the band had lost a lot of players to Sun Life and Soundwell the two main top section bands in Bristol at that time. I think the band folded in early 1980s.

As far as early history is concerned it is difficult to find much out but a band had been based at Shaftesbury Crusade in Bristol since at least the 1920s and possibly earlier.