Thread: Nominations: Award #18 - Bandsperson of the Year - tMP Service Award

Nominations: Award #18 - Bandsperson of the Year - tMP Service Award

Award #18 - Bandsperson of the Year - tMP Service Award

Please nominate who - in your opinion - has been the 'Bandsperson of the Year' during the last 12 months.

Please ensure you make absolutely clear who you nominate and why. Please state the reasons why you are nominating this person - it may be that they've done an extraordinary amount of work for your local band and/or community, or it may be that they've undertaken a major project on behalf of your band. Please give as much information as you can as to why you are nominating this particular person - it can only help when it comes to voting! We need to be absolutely clear about your nomination and your reasons. We may also need to contact you or the person nominated to gather more information.

To make your nomination, please simply reply to this thread or to nominate anonymously simply PM any of the tMP team who will then add your nomination to the list.

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    I would like to jointly nominate Philip Sparke and Alan Fernie for contributions to the forum by people I/we see as brass band legends.

The descriptions of Gothic and Anglian Dances, freely given (self found and otherwise freely accepted and acknowledged) errata, very interesting debate between the two and with others on adjudication and composition, and for Philip, the best contribution to a BBC cricket web site by a tMP member(!)
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

I'll nominate Roger Thorne for his sterling work putting together tMP bands at Pontins, Whits, etc

Bert Van Thienen

For his excellent playing with Willebroek (Europeans, Belgian Nationals, Masters, ...) and YBS (British Open, National Championships of GB).

On top of that, he does a great job conducting two Belgian brass bands (and a fanfare band as well).

His solosit prize at the Royal Albert Hall reached the Belgian national press. Together with Frans Violet, Raf van Looveren and a couple of others, he's one of the major reasons for the increased profile of belgian brass banding in the last couple of years.

(and he's a tMP member!)

tMP Master Friend little_miss_marcroft's Avatar
    Stuart Pullin for continuing his composing and great spirit through what has been a difficult year in and out of hospital.

I would like to nominate Sophie Primett (aka Sopha) for this award. She is the Principal Cornet of Silver Sounds Band, a small (currently) training band based near Lincoln. Earlier this year, she was diagnosed with a serious spinal condition which required major surgery, and had to spend months waiting for an operation date - a worrying time for anyone, but perhaps even more so at the tender age of 12. We had a few tears, but on the whole she faced the pending operation with optimism and fortitude, never missing band!
    The operation was scheduled for September, and the band were told not to expect Sophie back for at least 3 months. The operation - over 12 hours - went ahead, and then just as Sophie was due to leave hospital a week or so later, an x-ray revealed that 'the screws had fallen out' and she had to go back to theatre to have all the metalwork in her spine replaced, which put her recovery time back even further.
    Sophie left hospital in October, and only a week and a half later popped into the bandroom to see us all (complete with hard corset with hinges to her legs to help her walk), had a blow (with her dad's permission) and hasn't stopped since! She even played Last Post and Reveille for the first time at a local Remembrance Service. Sophie hasn't been allowed to return to school yet, still has the corset, but hasn't missed a band practice or tuition session (with medical approval).
    A bit wordy I know, but I wish I could bottle Sophie's enthusiasm and commitment - no worries about the future of banding then.
    Helen

Silver Sounds Band

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by little_miss_marcroft
    Stuart Pullin for continuing his composing and great spirit through what has been a difficult year in and out of hospital.
    Can I second that having nominated already?
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

Quote Originally Posted by Will the Sec
    Can I second that having nominated already?
    You can, but it won't make any difference. So there is no point in doing it...

I nominate Steve March for his services to Oxford particularly the community and police force. Even when he was due to be hot- footing it around Luxembourg's finest nightspots and concert venues with YABB, he gave it all up to develop his community links. What a guy!!!
    Laura Jackson
    Reg Vardy Band
    www.regvardyband.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Lauradoll
    I nominate Steve March for his services to Oxford particularly the community and police force. Even when he was due to be hot- footing it around Luxembourg's finest nightspots and concert venues with YABB, he gave it all up to develop his community links. What a guy!!!
    Agreed! Anybody that puts that much effort into the community spirit of things deserves an award of some degree...... (or maybe just a fine!)

Willie Ralston
    Bb Bass
    Campbeltown Brass
    Scottish 3rd Section Champions 2007
    Scottish 2nd Section Champions 2008!!!
    "Tartan Brass" Whit Friday Tartan Army!!
    YABB

tMP Newbie
    I would like to nominate my husband Stuart Pullin when he was diagnosed in febuary with acute leukeamia he was given just two weeks to live he was adament that this awfull disease would not beat him and imediatly set about writting and composing peices on his laptop. he managed to beat the disease and just before his transplant in july the disease returned he had all the treatment again knowing that it was harder this time to treat. He has just had his bone marrow transplant and is recovering well whilst all this has been happening to stuart he has had his euphonium in the hospital with him (much to the anoyance of the nurses) he has also been offering band advice and compossing some amazing new peices he really is a insperation to us all!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by little_miss_marcroft
    ditto
    Leisa Mallalieu-Ingman
    Wakefield Metropolitan Brass Band

tMP Master Friend little_miss_marcroft's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by band widow
    I would like to nominate my husband Stuart Pullin when he was diagnosed in febuary with acute leukeamia he was given just two weeks to live he was adament that this awfull disease would not beat him and imediatly set about writting and composing peices on his laptop. he managed to beat the disease and just before his transplant in july the disease returned he had all the treatment again knowing that it was harder this time to treat. He has just had his bone marrow transplant and is recovering well whilst all this has been happening to stuart he has had his euphonium in the hospital with him (much to the anoyance of the nurses) he has also been offering band advice and compossing some amazing new peices he really is a insperation to us all!!!!
    Already nominated!