Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gloucestershire Brass Band Association Contest

Gloucestershire Brass Band Association Contest

So, which bands are going? Anyone know the full line up and adjudicator's?

I looked on the GBBA website last night but no list of bands entered which is a shame. (In fact, the site hasn't been updated since October which is a bit odd when you consider the contest is the biggest event in the GBBA calendar)

If you are a GBBA band and aren't going, why not? This contest seems to be struggling a bit now and I am curious as to why bands are choosing not to enter.
    Last edited by Kiz7; 20.11.2006 at 13:55.

Competing bands are as follows: -

Section D - Unregistered (2 entries) Draw 12.15pm Commences 1.00pm
    Lydbrook Training
    Usk Youth

Section C - (7 entries) Draw 12.45pm Commences 1.30pm
    A W Parker (Drybrook)
    Bream Silver
    Chalford Academy
    Marshfield
    Midsomer Norton & Radstock
    Nailsworth Silver
    Phoenix Brass

Section B (2 entries) Draw 3.00pm Commences 4.15pm
    Pillowell Silver
    Bream Silver

Section A (3 entries) Draw 5.00pm Commences 5.00pm
    Cinderford
    Forest of Dean Brass
    Lydbrook

Should be a good days contesting with most local bands managing to be there. It will be nice to meet a few old friends and renew some old rivalries.

Look forward to seeing you there Kiz7!
    Eb Bass (formerly Solo Horn, Euphonium, Solo Baritone, 2nd Cornet and anywhere else there is a gap)
    AW Parker (Drybrook) Band

Forgot to add - the adjudicator is Philip Harper fresh from taking Polysteel Band at Brass In Concert last weekend.
    Eb Bass (formerly Solo Horn, Euphonium, Solo Baritone, 2nd Cornet and anywhere else there is a gap)

Are Bream doing both Sections. Good Luck to them and fair play (Why Not)

Good Luck to Drybrook as well
    Martin Musto
    Cornet Player and Conductor
    MD - Winchcombe Concert Brass
    Principal Cornet - AW Parker (Drybrook) Band
    http://www.drybrookband.co.uk
    Comments made are of the opinion of me and not my band

Yes- Bream Silver are entering both sections.

I am assuming that they are playing a different test piece and march in each section (I can't quite remember the rules about playing in more than one section, but I think they can't play the same piece twice).

Whatever happens, I hear they are playing well and will be stiff competition for us in Section C and for Pillowell in Section B.

I can't wait to get on that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerMaestro
    Are Bream doing both Sections. Good Luck to them and fair play (Why Not)

Good Luck to Drybrook as well
    Yes, they are Martin. Playing different pieces in both sections. But I'll give you a little hint - Mod edit: sorry, not allowed!
    Last edited by dyl; 21.11.2006 at 12:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz7
    Yes, they are Martin. Playing different pieces in both sections. But I'll give you a little hint - Mod edit: sorry, not allowed!

sorry, Mods. Thought it would be okay as I wasn't actually saying what they are playing.

Shame there are not more bands in the sections though, would make it more of a contest

tMP Senior Friend
    Im gonna pop along as Im hoping a few others from Polysteel, always try and support this contest if possable and will be there supporting Phil Harper, Mike James the chairman of the gbba ect, were are bands like Lydney ect?

Ill be there with Marshfield band in the 4th section. This will be the first time marshfield has competed as a registered band in 10 years!. It will also be the first time ive played as a registered player! Previously we had competed in the unregistered section. We are also going to the areas next year, so its all been quite frantic at band recently!

Ive got a few exposed duets so i expect ill be really nervous on the day.

Not sure where all the bands are, but i know that the wessex band association moved thier contest to the same day, perhaps some bands are playing there instead? if its allwowed?

Good luck to everyone.

Alks

tMP Prime Friend

Good Luck to Bream!!
    Ian Clarke,
    BBb Bass, The Cawston Band EABBA Champion Band 2010
    Juggling Baps for London 2012
    Tell 'em Chunky sent ya - For da good stuff!

previously known as Stuart545 Forest Gump's Avatar
    Forest of Dean, centre of the known universe
    after a bit of confusion and a rule change and sadly a funeral,we did'nt quite manage to get a band for the contest,would of loved to have gone but we'll be there next year.good luck to the forest bands,stuart berry hill band.
    p.s
    its a bit far to travel
    "My name is forest gump, people call me forest gump."

Sad to say that Chalford won't be going either - still recovering from our recent capers in Prestatyn! Also, have been preparing for couple of concerts, but some of us will be out in force to support our training band, Chalford Academy (and to have a few drinks, meet up with friends, etc..) See you all down there!
    Chalford = where the RAC send their mechanics to practice driving and the locals have west country accents (ooo-arrr)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hann
    Sad to say that Chalford won't be going either - still recovering from our recent capers in Prestatyn! Also, have been preparing for couple of concerts, but some of us will be out in force to support our training band, Chalford Academy (and to have a few drinks, meet up with friends, etc..) See you all down there!

Disappointed that Chalford aren't going, would have been good to hear the Pontins winners and would have made the sections a bit more competitive.

Lydney aren't quite at full strength just yet as their Principal Cornet has recently left and there a few other small gaps at the moment. I think they are aiming to be out contesting early in the new year.

Shame the likes of Portishead aren't competing too, as they have recently taken part in the SWBBA contest so should be fairly in form.

Never mind, will be an interesting day nonetheless.

tMP Senior Friend
    I may not be going know may need a lift, as I have had a car accident. Dont feel to bad but may need a lift.

Han fancy making a detor from stroad?!!

previously known as Stuart545 Forest Gump's Avatar
    Forest of Dean, centre of the known universe
    just noticed the forest area will not have anybody in the 4th section next year
    "My name is forest gump, people call me forest gump."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast