Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Salvation Army Bandsmen&women Past&present

Wahay good thread! Am SA myself, play 1st baritone in the senior band at Croydon Citadel, and euphonium in the yp band! To skippy, when did you last go to west yorkshire music school? I have been going there for 4 years now and love it there! Had a brilliant audition this year and did well in the week where i was placed in the band!
    Euphonium - Carlton Main Frickley
    Euphonium - Sheffield Citadel Band
    Euphonium - Sheffield University Wind Orchestra
    Willing dep!

tMP Friend in Training 1st cornet superstar!'s Avatar
    I started off at Milton Keynes Central corps, stayed there till I was 17, and have since transferred to Dunstable corps. although I'm more of a part timer now,due to bf being at uni in london and me goin to see him, but his mum's an army officer and is getting more persuasive at wanting me to be a *good influence* and make him go to meetings!lol I've played in the Milton Keynes bands and central south division band and youth chorus. (although haven't been to the band in a while due to transport)

I was at Hadleigh till about 4 years ago then transfered to enfield and now live in the bristol area but playing in a non SA band
    now

tMP Friend in Training MartinBen's Avatar
    Well I learned to play at Cowes Corp on the Isle of Wight many years ago before moving up to Twickenham where I played Euph. under Mark Bearcroft (Norman's son) before he went into training to become an officer. Had some great times and laughs as Mark would often bring some manuscript scribbles along to practice for us to have a blow at to see how it sounded.

Left Twickenham after Mark went into training and then moved to Northampton and guess who got appointed as the officer? None other than Mark !

He and his wife, Tracey have now gone 'down under' so I'm playing in a local band instead.

tMP Senior Friend
    i'm in the Mirfield Salvation Army
    ALWAYS ENSURE YOUR MOUTHPIECE IS IN YOUR INSTRUMENT BEFORE STANDING TO PLAY A SOLO!!!!!

tMP Friend in Training
    I learned to play trombone in Rugby YP band as soon as I could lift the instrument (dad was a bass trombone player!)
    Spent some time after National Service at Hendon, Luton and Kirkwall (where??) and am now still playing bass trom at Epsom & Ewell, and approaching 70 too quickly.
    Ron Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by RonBarnes
    I learned to play trombone in Rugby YP band as soon as I could lift the instrument (dad was a bass trombone player!)
    Spent some time after National Service at Hendon, Luton and Kirkwall (where??) and am now still playing bass trom at Epsom & Ewell, and approaching 70 too quickly.
    Ron Barnes
    I spent some time in Rugby YP Band (a little while after yourself I think - late '70s), do you remember Eddie Dytham?

He was BM when I was there and I got the impression he had been ther forever!
    Bass Trom, Brackley & District Band, http://www.brackleyband.org.uk/

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by RonBarnes
    Kirkwall (where??)
    Orkney ?
    Bass Trom, Brackley & District Band, http://www.brackleyband.org.uk/

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

tMP Friend in Training

Smile

I started in Bangor SA, N. Ireland, playing i the YP band then my family moved to Sydenham Corp near Belfast. I left at 15 and joined Laganvale Band who are current NI champions and since moving to England 3 years ago I've played with Desford, Black Dyke, Ransomes, Thoresby and I am now principal euph for Carlton Main Frickley. I've also freelanced for some top British bands and also with the Ulster Orchestra.

My mum goes to Gainsborough Corps where my grandfather Terry Young was bandmaster for 25 years and before his death a few years ago, he was solo horn with Foss Dyke and also lead the youth band. While he was bandmaster his 4 sons, including my dad, were all in the band, 3 of which still attend.

I will always believe that if I hadn't started my playing career with the SA then I wouldn't be where I am today, and I don't think I'd drink as much! lol
    Ciaran Young
    Solo Baritone
    Brighouse & Rastrick

tMP Newbie

Salvation Army Bandsman

I started playing in the Grimsby Citadel Salvation Band in 1968 and moved a few years leter to the nearby Victoria Corps. I then had a long break from the Army and played for 17 years in the Humberside Police Band before I retired from the service in 2002. Shortly after that I returned to the Army as a cornet player in the Staines Salvation Army Band. A wonderful band and corps that has given me so much. At present, however, I am working in the Kingdom of Bahrain but thanks to the kindness of Bandmaster Alan Martin, I am always welcomed back to the Corps and Band when on leave.

Kind regards,

Paul Gorman

i was bandsman in the zutphen band in the Netherlands from 1984 till 1992 my father (dolf ) en my ungle (Ben) where both principal cornet players in the Amsterdam staff bansd during the '60 and 70.

Quote Originally Posted by stephan
    i was bandsman in the zutphen band in the Netherlands from 1984 till 1992 my father (dolf ) en my ungle (Ben) where both principal cornet players in the Amsterdam staff bansd during the '60 and 70.

Hi Stephan,

Good to have you on board! We visited Holland at Easter 2003 and had a great time. We also had the Amsterdam Staff Songsters over to Hadleigh last October.

We'll look forward to hearing more from you, and why don't you put a post in the "Introduce Yourself" section to tell us more about yourself?

Peter Bale
    BBb bass, Hadleigh Temple Band
    Alto sax, Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
    tMP band, Whit Friday 2004; tMP band, Hadleigh, April 2005

Hello all,

I'm an ex-Salvation Army bandsman myself. Started playing at the age of 7 (as I think most do) With Doncaster Citadel YP Band. Started on cornet then after a while went on to horn. Went in to the senior band and quickly moved along the horn row. Became YP band Sergeant and at the same time covered the Eb bass part with the YP hand Solo Horn with the Senior band. Eventually moved on to Eb bass with the senior band also. Also played with South Yorkshire divisional youth band and went to the S/Yorks music school for a number of years.

Only stopped playing after a disagreement in the senior band.

Hadn't played for about 15 years then joined South Yorkshire Police Band this January. Now on 2nd Baritone with them and loving it.

Agree with a lot of the previous comments about the army being in your blood. Or is that it's in your soul?

Having now experienced both sides of 'the fence' I can see a lot of similarities. The fun and games when not playing ( and sometimes while playing ) for one.

Best wishes to all.
    Cheers,

Ian.

2nd Baritone South Yorkshire Police Band.
    Former Salvation Army bandsman.

Reach it don't screach it !!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBale
    Hi Stephan,

Good to have you on board! We visited Holland at Easter 2003 and had a great time. We also had the Amsterdam Staff Songsters over to Hadleigh last October.

We'll look forward to hearing more from you, and why don't you put a post in the "Introduce Yourself" section to tell us more about yourself?

thanks Peter for your warm welcome
    fromer cornet player at Salvation Army Band Zutphen the Netherlands.http://www.geocities.com/stephenruysink/index.html

SA past

Started to play with Hull East YP Band under YP Bandleaders Eddie Lee, moved to trombone by YP Band Leader Keith Darlington (what a player he was)Moved into Senior Band under BM Sam Goldspink. after a few enjoyable years left the Army in 1967 because I found I was going for the wrong reasons. After a while away from bands started to play again in 1988 and have had great enjoyment ever since. Still play with two ex members of both YP and Senior Bands. Now go to church for the right reasons.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast