tMP Exclusive Interview with Mark Quick
Webmaster – Hatherleigh Silver Band

By way of an introduction, could you please tell us a little about yourself
I’m Mark and now 36 years young. I play BBb Bass with Hatherleigh Silver Band, I have the roles of Contest Secretary and web designer/webmaster.
I have been married for 13 years to the lovely Marian (The Bands Flugel player) we have two beautiful girls, Jasmin 9 & Emily 6. Our home is in the superb countryside in the heart of Devon & I work as a Firefighter in sunny Torquay.

Are you actively involved in playing a brass instrument with any band, or do you simply undertake the web design on behalf of a band?
I have been a playing member with HSB for 25 years. Before I moved onto Bass I loved playing the Soprano, a position I held for 19 years and still play it when required.

How long have you been involved in web design how did you first get involved in it?I have enjoyed working on my computer for some time but this was my 1st attempt at a website. I took on the job to design it in April 2006 after our Solo Euph who was going to do it became pregnant.

Do you manage/run any other web sites, if so, which ones?
No others. Marian would divorce me!!

What applications did you use to build your site and why did you choose these?
Bluevoda, software and webspace from America, its so easy to use and they have online technical advice.

Please can you explain for us how you prepared and planned for the development of the site when asked to implement this for the band?
I looked at other sites and saw what I thought worked, I made a plan on paper and then jumped in with both feet making the home page and so on.

What content do you feel should be included on a brass band www site?
Anything relevant that can help make your site interesting and able to sell the Bands name. Don’t make anyone stay on a page too long. Always have a good gallery and make sure the site is kept up to date.

Do you use innovative ideas on your www site?
We have a track from our latest CD playing but nothing really innovative.

Why should people visit Hatherleigh Silver Bands www site?
Hatherleigh Silver Band is a band that is dedicated to improving it’s standard of music and keeping Brass Banding tradition’s alive for many years to come.
It has everything you need to know about HSB and is a celebration of the events attended by both our senior and training band and the individual achievements of all our members.

It opens up the eyes of the world to what banding is all about. It links us up to the whole world - in fact THE NOMINATION FOR WEBSITE OF THE MONTH WAS SECONDED BY A PERSON UNKOWN TO OUR BAND FROM THE USA!
Being a particularly rural area it is also a great tool for communication about band news and is a great marketing tool for recruiting new players, raising sponsorship, raising the profile of the band and so forth. Already we have had enquiries and new players from website viewings.Such is the magic of Web technology.

What do you feel is important when designing and implementing www sites…?
Ensure your planning is spot on and only publish a page when you know it is ready.

How long did this site actually take you to build?
This is the most difficult question so far – Too long if I were honest.

How do you manage the content on your web site and do you have a publishing policy?
All updates are carried out by myself. I have Marian to get a 2nd opinion from & I find it good to sound out our principal cornet Greg Morgan – I always get a straight answer from him.

What would you recommend as the best way to start to learn about designing and building www sites?
Before you design a site look at other sites and then draw a plan down on paper. As for building it do some homework on software. Bluevoda really was good to use.

Do you have a favourite technical reference book for budding web designers?
No, all my technical reference was online with Bluevoda.

How do you see the influence of the internet assisting the banding movement over the next 5 to 10 years?
It has to be the way for every band to go. It makes the bands advertising, organization and communication so much better.

In most visited order, what are your 5 most frequently used www sites?
www.tiscali.co.uk
www.hatherleighsilverband.co.uk
www.themouthpiece.com
www.4barsrest.co.uk
www.devfire.gov.uk

Can you let our members know of any other www sites you feel are interesting to visit but are not in your top 5, and why this is so.
www.ebay.co.uk - unbelievable site.

Could you please name your all time favourite www site, and why so?
www.hatherleighsilverband.co.uk – what else would it be?

Do you use online community forums, if so, which ones do you use?
www.themouthpiece.com

What do you do to relax and unwind?
A nice bottle of red wine or port with Marian and sport on the TV. ( I should not of said that last bit)

Tell us something about yourself that we don't already know.
I love playing practical jokes on people and being very happy with my family.

What are your other hobbies?
As a family we are just getting into off road Mountain Biking with great friends Kevin & Alison.

What do you drive?
Marian up the wall!! Toyota Corolla 2.0 D4Dt3 & Vauxhall Corsa ( my office )