Region: Wales

20. Newstead Youth, Paul Whyley, 15, 161
    Region: Midlands

21. Turriff Silver, Frank Cranna, 19, 160
    Region: Scotland

22. Watford, Martyn France, 5, 159
    Region: London and Southern Counties

courtesy 4barsrest
    I have CDO. Its like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

tMP Master Friend
    heard about half the bands and played for Lostock Hall on bass trombone

didnt think we played well enough to win but i thought we were safe for a top 11 position, in the end 17th was extremely disappointing, but its been a fantastic effort and the commitment in the bandroom the last 3 weeks has been superb.

a very enjoyable experience playing with you guys and girls and the only thing that let the day down was the final position. dont let it dampen the spirit of the band though coz your a great bunch and some very talented and also some good young players coming though. lets keep up the hard work and great efforts and get a better position at fleetwood this next weekend

see ya friday night!

P.S.

did anyone listen to us?, if you did could you PM me what you thought, as i didnt think we were so bad as to finish quite as low as we did, at least a couple of bands that i heard didnt seem to be of the same standard of performance in my opinion

Well done BREAM!

A huge well done to Dodworth, I didn't hear you play but I gather you thoroughly deserved your win. Congratulations!

We have played the piece much better in the band room than we did on the day, the usual contest nerves were a factor (although not nearly as bad as some of our dim and distant past performances) and I think our 12th place, although a little disappointing from our own perspective, was a pretty fair placing in the end (At least we didn't finish last again...*phew*!!!!!)

Well done to all the competing bands, we enjoyed our day, and no-one really lost yesterday, all the bands playing were winners to just be there.
    Not just quite emulating last years successes!
    2009/2010 Stocksbridge Band Club "Most Entertaining Band"

Congratulations to all at Dodworth and especially thier MD Mr Darwin who looked very dapper (if a little sweaty!!!) in his specially purchased shirt and tie.

May the success continue.
    Gaz Sykes
    Retired \ Resting

"AD ASTRA PER ASPERA"

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd man down
    A huge well done to Dodworth, I didn't hear you play but I gather you thoroughly deserved your win. Congratulations!

We have played the piece much better in the band room than we did on the day, the usual contest nerves were a factor (although not nearly as bad as some of our dim and distant past performances) and I think our 12th place, although a little disappointing from our own perspective, was a pretty fair placing in the end (At least we didn't finish last again...*phew*!!!!!)

Well done to all the competing bands, we enjoyed our day, and no-one really lost yesterday, all the bands playing were winners to just be there.
    Thanks Crawford, Didn't hear any other bands but knew we'd played well. Sorry it wasn't Yorkshire 1st & 2nd but that's banding.

We had a great day too with a great result, & no doubt the rest Dodworth Band are nursing headaches this morning!

tMP Friend in Training notsosilentbob's Avatar
    Just back now.
    Congrats to Dodworth , I didnt hear it personally but from what I heard from others, it was a very good performance. We played ok but there were too many clips and slips in the 1st movement alone (oh god, the tears backstage afterwards!), the 2nd movement was better and I felt the 3rd movement was our best. I thought we would come lower than 2nd so the 750 + 1000 for Best Instrumentalist (Congrats John!) was unexpected and much appreciated. The only thing that sticks in the craw is that we've played it better than that all week (especially the start), we just didnt nail it like we could have and should have and we came off knowing we had 'left the door open'. Although a lot was good (tempos, dynamics, back row and percussion for example), it just wasnt sparkling, unlike last year when we really WERE gutted.

On a personal note I got the star player award from 4br (Bass Trom) in the live write up so I wangled a few beers out of that one, cheers lads!

Well done to all the winners and we cant wait to cross swords with some of you again at Pontins.

tMP Master Friend
    out of the bands i heard, the better bands were barton, verwood, emley and oldham. thought emley might have finished a couple of places higher than 12th, verwoods 2nd movement let them down i think and so 7th was perhaps fair for them and barton definately deserved their top 6, a very clean performance from them, though they were better than the last 2 bands who played, thought they were good enough for top half, but not top 6. didnt get to hear dodworth but my parents did and they had them down as in the top 2 so sounds like you guys deserved it, well done to you, think oldham had a very big band sound and it was perhaps just a few too many clips here and there for the top position i reckon, strong enough for 2nd though as it proved to be in the end, well done to john though, met him a few times when he was hebdens sop and i was 1 of hebdens local deps.

i hate to bring up this negative point here, but does anyone here think that your bandsmans ticket should allow you to at least hear the other bands in your own section that your playing in? paid about 20 quid on tickets this weekend and ive only heard about 16 bands in total, and thats not coz i spent 2 long at the bar or trade stands before you ask lol, dont ya think its a bit steep moneywise considering that we are providing the entertainment here at these contests?

Quote Originally Posted by madandcrazytromboneguy
    i hate to bring up this negative point here, but does anyone here think that your bandsmans ticket should allow you to at least hear the other bands in your own section that your playing in? paid about 20 quid on tickets this weekend and ive only heard about 16 bands in total, and thats not coz i spent 2 long at the bar or trade stands before you ask lol, dont ya think its a bit steep moneywise considering that we are providing the entertainment here at these contests?
    http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23960

Well Done to Bream Silver band.

Despite the 4th place at the Areas you can now say that you are the 5th best 4th Section band in the country

Nice one guys
    Martin Musto
    Cornet Player and Conductor
    MD - Winchcombe Concert Brass
    Principal Cornet - AW Parker (Drybrook) Band
    http://www.drybrookband.co.uk
    Comments made are of the opinion of me and not my band

Quote Originally Posted by madandcrazytromboneguy
    out of the bands i heard, the better bands were barton, verwood, emley and oldham. thought emley might have finished a couple of places higher than 12th, verwoods 2nd movement let them down i think and so 7th was perhaps fair for them and barton definately deserved their top 6, a very clean performance from them, though they were better than the last 2 bands who played, thought they were good enough for top half, but not top 6.
    Not got sour grapes have you?

Considering the first time Barnard Castle had a full band was on the contest stage, we did fantastically well! and we came 4th!

At the end of the day no matter how much complaining goes on, it's down to the men in the box that have the final decision.

Well done Dodworth!

Well done Barney and Barton !
    Digeridoos are fab and have you tried a thunderstick?

Well done Dodworth! Superb performance!

We listened to 17 of the 22 bands that played yesterday and wow! what a pleasure it was. The standard throughout was fantastic! Never having heard the test piece before, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it.

And 2nd man down - you played fantastic, certainly had you higher placed than 12th, but as we know, that's contesting! Unfortunately, the 3rd and 4th placed bands we missed, but it must have been an excellent performance and well deserved going on the performances of those that didn't get in the top 6. Of the 17 we did hear we had Dodworth, Thundersley, Barton, Oldham, Bream Silver, Formby in the top 6 with Emley 7th, Like I said we never heard Llwycoed or Barnard, but did hear good reports about them.

Anyway, well done to all the bands, certainly enjoyed listening to this section.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed
    And 2nd man down - you played fantastic, certainly had you higher placed than 12th

Aw thanks!
    We know we didn't play as well as we can so no complaints here in Yorkshire...we shall just have to wait till next time out to kick some.
    Not just quite emulating last years successes!
    2009/2010 Stocksbridge Band Club "Most Entertaining Band"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast