Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Official National Finals Thread - Fourth Section

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm on top, Help me!!!
    Not got sour grapes have you?

Considering the first time Barnard Castle had a full band was on the contest stage, we did fantastically well! and we came 4th!

At the end of the day no matter how much complaining goes on, it's down to the men in the box that have the final decision.

Well done Dodworth!
    That highlighted section has got nothing to do with anything that I said in my original post. And also the adjudicators are not going to care if it was the 1st time you'd gotten a full band onto the stage, they are there to judge what is done on the day only!

my comments were not abusive, insulting or in any other way negative, i just thought that bartons performance was better than barnard castles and the welsh band who also played near the end and came in top 6 above them (sorry I can't type you as i don't have your name in front of me if any of your band members comment on this post), you'll also see that I still had you in the top half, its not like ive said "barnard castle played rubbish" coz wasn't the case at all, and knowing how much hard work all the bands put in, there has been no offensive comment from me directed at your band or any other band at all!

yeah as you said its just those 2 blokes in the box who decide it all, but this is a convo forum, so people are obviously going to put their own predictions and decisions on here, I myself though certainly dont expect people to put on comments like "not got sour grapes have you" or any other bull like that. if you read 1 of my other posts you'll see that yeah im disappointed, but you'll also see that im positive that the band I played with will bounce back, and do well at fleetwood this weekend, etc. im too experienced to have what you call "sour grapes", so in the future, please keep comments like that to yourself!
    Last edited by madandcrazytromboneguy; 25.09.2006 at 22:23.

Clive, what on earth are you rambling on about? Chill -

The comment: "Not got sour grapes have you?" was a light-hearted, toungue-in-cheek,
    'funny' remark, which certainly didn't require a full page essay as a reply.

So let's just continue:

Congratulations to . . . . . .

tMP Senior Friend

madandcrazytromboneguy Why do you climb so high up the tree when people say something against you. This reminds me of the Conducting thread when you did the very same. You have an add for a band as a conductor, reading what you have wrote above, i wouldn’t give you the time of day. If you let a fair return to your comments wind you up like you have, what will you be like in front of a band?

As i said in the conductors thread come to Ripon and have a wag, as i have some live wires and just see how you hold up.

Stop chill, think before you type and as you said in your reply this is an open forum for us ALL to have our say.

Well done to all the bands that played at H/gate.
    Lee C Whitworth LLCM ATCL
    Musical Director
    The West Yorkshire Fire
    and Rescue Service Band
    www.thefireband.com
    www.twitter.com/thefireband

tMP Friend in Training mutedropper's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cwmamanbird
    Congratulations to Llwydcoed for coming 3rd

Well done, Val, you done us proud!!
    Just to add my congratulations to all at Llwydcoed for a fantastic achievement and Mam don't let all this success go to your head!

Mutedropper

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thorne
    Congratulations to . . . . . .

Dodworth, super show and a deserved win, as we said to Elliot in the bar, If we weren't gonna win, we're glad it's yorkshire that did!!!

Nice to see so many freindly faces around the place, even if I did end up on every PC screen, thanks to my PC literate band!!

also nice to be back to band tonight, playing a variety of music and preparing to entertain the public, who's worried about one result when there's a full house shouting for an encore . . . I love it!!

Thanks to all my Emley guys for the hard work, Well Done Dodworth - bring on the next one
    Garry Hallas.

Quote Originally Posted by ploughboy
    Thanks to all my Emley guys for the hard work, Well Done Dodworth - bring on the next one
    And thanks to you mate for all your hard work. In fact well done to all the M.D.'s from all the bands - Us players tend to grumble a bit from having the odd extra rehearsal but it's the M.D.'s that attend every extra rehearsal and sectional before a contest.

Well done to all the bands from Sunday, especially Dodworth, you did Yorkshire proud....see you next year in the 3rd section!
    Andrew Garrett
    Currently bandless in the UAE.

tMP Friend in Training
    Yes well done to Dodworth. After only a few bars it was a different class of playing. Whilst we didnt do so well we were proud to be taking part and representing our region.

To open up the debate a number of the band listened to the whole of the second half of the 4th section and we were amazed to witness the soprano cornet playing the opening part of Valerious. This released one of the solo cornets to play the back row feature 3 bars in. Also the winning band's euphonium played the opening baritone counter melody in the slow movement.

Is it not time for open adjudication so any manipulation of parts can be seen by the adjudicators and penalised if deemed to be unfair on bands that do let their lesser players play what is written!

Our sop played the top line of the opening sequence but only because we lost our principal cornet the week before the contest and it's a four part split. Our back row played all their own stuff, with no help at all from the front row, and with much credit I might add. I think in situations such as that there has to be some leniency...especially at lower sections where full bands are few and far between.
    Not just quite emulating last years successes!
    2009/2010 Stocksbridge Band Club "Most Entertaining Band"

tMP Friend in Training JoeDrumTech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alanbry
    Yes well done to Dodworth. After only a few bars it was a different class of playing. Whilst we didnt do so well we were proud to be taking part and representing our region.

To open up the debate a number of the band listened to the whole of the second half of the 4th section and we were amazed to witness the soprano cornet playing the opening part of Valerious. This released one of the solo cornets to play the back row feature 3 bars in. Also the winning band's euphonium played the opening baritone counter melody in the slow movement.

Is it not time for open adjudication so any manipulation of parts can be seen by the adjudicators and penalised if deemed to be unfair on bands that do let their lesser players play what is written!
    If you'd actually bothered to watch the performance with a neutral attitude and not trying to find fault you may have been able to witness our back row cornets playing all their own parts, no one on the front row was 'released' to "play the back row feature three bars in". sour grapes ??? nice one guys. want a medal?
    Joe Loukes
    Percussionist

tMP Newbie
    Would just like to say how fantastic Dodworth played on Sunday, so proud of you all. Thanks for all your hard work and preparation involved, keep it up! back row especially were amazing.

I would also like to congratulate miss Sarah Warner for winning the best instrumentalist in the 3rd section, you deserve it lass!

Amy Loukes

tMP Friend in Training

This happens in all sections of bands, particularly Championship Section, where not all bands in there are at the level of BAYV, Dyke, Grimey etc. Fact of life, get over it!

tMP Friend in Training

This debate has raged elsewhere.

I just dont understand? Surely performing is all about making the music sound as good as it possibly can? If swapping a few parts over here and there enhances the musical performance then lets enhance it.
    As long as adjudication is all about performance and not who's playing which part then I personally will continue to tweek pieces here and there to enhance the overall musical effect.
    Its amazing what you can get away with! For example as my band also lost a solo cornet just before the contest one of the back row played the muted part and I put flug on the back row melody, was it commented on? No. Also my first baritone plays Euph but no mention of that in crit either!
    Really cant be bothered with the high and mighty moral bregade who believe its not about the music but about everyone playing every single note in their part however rank it may sound.

Rant over!
    mines a pint!

Official National Finals Thread Fourth Section

Ill add one of my own

Ace Youngblood and Seiji Jimbo

I kind of imagine them in a similar gimmick to London and Kendrick. I thought of Jimbo & Youngblood, but Jimbo sounds a little too redneck. Im also amenable to changing their names.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4