Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Official National Finals Thread - Second Section

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyEuph
    Exactly!
    I remember the favourite band of 2003 -and how they were going to 'walk it', they even got the regional news to follow their road to glory. We bumped into them in a chinese restaurant in dundee the night before the contest and they told us the same thing, all in good spirits of course. They were a bit gutted the next day when we won and they didn't!
    And they didn't come 2nd either - because we did!!
    Repiano Cornet, Bollington Band

We unfortunately have the unenviable task of being 4bars rest favourites and although the band is well prepared living up to an expectation by others to win is extremly difficult for the best bands in the land let alone little old Newbridge.

All the hype prior to contest day agreeably could set any band up for a disappointment, however, I hope any comments made are not taken as to belittle the merit of any band competing on the weekend. Our MD thinks it will be a tight contest and is looking forward with anticipation to seeing how the band will rise to the occasion.

A genuine message of good luck to all bands hope you enjoy your weekend.

tMP Newbie

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by no2taz
    We unfortunately have the unenviable task of being 4bars rest favourites and although the band is well prepared living up to an expectation by others to win is extremly difficult for the best bands in the land let alone little old Newbridge.

All the hype prior to contest day agreeably could set any band up for a disappointment, however, I hope any comments made are not taken as to belittle the merit of any band competing on the weekend. Our MD thinks it will be a tight contest and is looking forward with anticipation to seeing how the band will rise to the occasion.

A genuine message of good luck to all bands hope you enjoy your weekend.
    I appreciate it is difficult to be humble when such knowlegeable tomes as 4 Bars Rest etc, are setting you guys up as top dogs. If I were in your band I would be in cloud nine land. Mind you I don't think you should dismiss the other 15 bands simply because your efforts are going well. No one is able to tell how the other 15 are doing. It will bot be the first of last time that the favourites have fallen - The North West area is an excellent example, when Blackpool came from no where. A lot of the points will be taken by the intrepretation of the conductor, and there are a number of unknowns there too - Anyway Best of luck

tMP Senior Friend

I know that one of the adjudicators will be listening for good lyrical, expressive playing with flow.
    John Smith

tMP Friend in Training
    I dont think it's just 4bars alone that are predicting Newbridge.......I have been hearing it for weeks, but it's all adding to the excitement for me and by the sound of it all you as well and thats just what it's all about. Like I said before, you dont get to the "Big One" without being a tidy well organised outfit.........the piece is very playable and a good interpretation with a quality of sound at the end of the day should do well. Nerves as usual will play a big part, and in my opinion and experience the more the expectation the more the nerves.

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyEuph
    I know that one of the adjudicators will be listening for good lyrical, expressive playing with flow.
    It would be good if that was always the case!

tMP Friend in Training
    ......and just one more thing from me. Apparently "It aint over till the fat lady sings" and as my band has'nt got any fat ladies in it does that mean we dont stand a chance?

I agree too im sure there will be a few bands with good interpretations this weekend as looking at the lineup of quality Md's should be a good showing

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by no2taz
    I agree too im sure there will be a few bands with good interpretations this weekend as looking at the lineup of quality Md's should be a good showing
    .........there will be only one person on the stage for each performance that cant be heard and thats the MD, never heard a baton play a wrong note......just a thought!

tMP Friend in Training
    ...sometimes MD's get in the way.........again just a thought!

Just a point of view.......... the MD is heard through the playing of his or her players and how the MD shapes and controlls the band sound, yes a baton is silent in respects that it canot be heard, but its the personality behind the baton that can be heard and will go a long way to the final points given on the day in any contest.

tMP Friend in Training
    .............lots of brass band conductors that I have seen have to be ignored by the band or they would never play together! Incidentally there is a little bit more to music than contests!

tMP Friend in Training
    A short message to say good luck to the North East bands at the weekend especially in the 1st and 2nd sections where all of the bnads from our area have a fantastic chance of getting a good result. Special wishes go to Felling and Wansbeck's Ashington - go for it lads and lasses!!
    John,
    Northumbrian Water Ellington Colliery Band

tMP Newbie
    If you guys spend as much time practicing as you do preaching and predicting in here then you will do really well in the Nationals!

Good luck, everyone! After all, its just music

Oh, by the way, I hear Blackpool is in really good shape this year!

Yay, it's tomorrow!! Good luck to all the bands competing, see you there!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast