Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Official National Finals Thread - Second Section

Went for a blow with Grange Moor last night (just filling for a rehearsal) What a great piece, really enjoyed playing/listening to it, Might even try and get there on Saturday afternoon to listen to a few!

Band are sounding well again, well organised, well balanced. I'm sure there'll be a solid show from the Yorkshire guys!!

G

also to agree with JR, I couldn't sight read Images, but had no problem at all last night, just shows a massive void between the two pieces.
    Garry Hallas.

MD - Emley Brass Band - www.emleybrassband.co.uk
    MD - Thurcroft Welfare Band - www.thurcroftwelfareband.co.uk
    MD - LBBrass - www.lbbrass.co.uk

tMP Friend
    Thanks for the positive comments about Gothic Dances - it's very nicely analysed in this weekend's "Bandsman", and I'm interested to read and find out things about it I didn't know!!

I know that it's not technically as demanding as "Images of the Millennium" - it would have to be "Year of the Dragon" or "Salute to Youth" for that to be the case, but isn't there history as regards the finals pieces?

The last time I was involved was a couple of years back - after qualifying for the 3rd section final on "Vizcaya", we couldn't believe how technically straightforward Darroll's "Diamond Heritage" was, and I was also similarly amazed at how "easy" Philip Harper's piece was compared to "Tam O' Shanter". Of course both turned out to be stiff tests, especially in the padded cell that is Harrogate, and I expect the same will happen here.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the music in some way, and you'll all have a good weekend. I'm looking forward to it immensely, and, of course, looking forward to 16 perfect performances .

Oh, by the way, don't even think about pedalling anything!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Fernie
    ... Oh, by the way, don't even think about pedalling anything!!!
    ... nice one!
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

tMP Master Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Fernie

Oh, by the way, don't even think about pedalling anything!!!
    Thanks for the guidance, Alan! I would never ever do it, but how will the adjudicators know if we are THINKING about it?? These new ABBA guidelines are very thorough!
    Philip Sparke
    Anglo Music Press
    The music of Philip Sparke

for more details, visit
    www.philipsparke.com

Ok, time for me to comment on the Second Section, I am going to be supporting two bands..

Firstly (if I didn't put them first half the band will kill me!!), good luck to Lympstone South West Telecoms Band. They are a great bunch of people and have made me very welcome whenever I have been there over the last few months.

Secondly, to Ellie and Paul and everyone else I know at Newbridge Celynen. They are one of the bands situated closest to where I live and are on terrific form at the moment and I know you will put on a super show.

All the best to both bands, I will be in Harrogate and am really looking forward to both performances. All the best to all others competing throughout the weekend (especially the other Welsh band...Tylorstown, didn't want to forget you!)!!

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo Music Press
    Thanks for the guidance, Alan! I would never ever do it, but how will the adjudicators know if we are THINKING about it?? These new ABBA guidelines are very thorough!
    Of course they can think about it Philip; but if they do it, there will be questions asked, points taken away, Nationals to be lost, all that jazz.

tMP Friend
    I'm sure everyone has spotted these, but a few other wee blips have been found;

3rd movement; Bar 42 - 2nd cnt. 5th note C not A
    Bar 76 - BBflat bass 4th note D flat

Big thanks to the composer of the 4th section test-piece for those!

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperHorn
    Newbridge should walk the second section...............
    As much as I agree with that, wasn't that the general consensus about last years 3rd Section Nationals and tjey came 6th was it?

still for what it's worth I think

Newbridge
    Grange Moor
    St Dennis
    No-one remembers me! I blame that Walt Disney bloke!

Yes Dwarf you are correct in that we were one of the fav for last year in the 3rd section however the band realise that it was not our best performance and agree with the 5th place we were awarded not 6th. This year wee look to build on our recent successes with 14 wins out of 17 contests witch includes one win in the championship section at western.

Above all else the nationals in my opinion has become somewhat of a lottery due to the number of bands competing and having been given a test piece that each one will be able to play comfortably, however Newbridge band recognise that its the pieces that all band will be able to play that require the most amount of work to make them truly effective and are well under way with our preparation.

Thanks to all tmp'ers that have given us words of support and encouragement.

Good luck to all bands.

tMP Master Friend
    Good luck to all bands especially Barrhead
    Yvonne Wark
    TRMB

tMP Senior Friend

http://www.hatfieldband.co.uk/music/music.html shameless plug. but there may be a point of reference for quality.
    John Smith

Quote Originally Posted by no2taz
    Above all else the nationals in my opinion has become somewhat of a lottery due to the number of bands competing and having been given a test piece that each one will be able to play comfortably, however Newbridge band recognise that its the pieces that all band will be able to play that require the most amount of work to make them truly effective and are well under way with our preparation.
    Mmm.... so Newbridge to win then?? Can't help thinking from that comment that if you win it's down to preparation and if you don't it's a lottery!!!

Good luck though - this is only only friendly banter!!!

I personally think we have a good chance having improved as a band since coming 2nd from the 1st spot in Dundee 03, however if you are a championship standard band as people seem to be saying you probably deserve to win.... hope you don't though!
    Repiano Cornet, Bollington Band

Quote Originally Posted by tpcornet12
    Mmm.... so Newbridge to win then?? Can't help thinking from that comment that if you win it's down to preparation and if you don't it's a lottery!!!

I personally think we have a good chance having improved as a band since coming 2nd from the 1st spot in Dundee 03, however if you are a championship standard band as people seem to be saying you probably deserve to win.... hope you don't though!

It's is as you say friendly competition and I hope that we are up there come results time

Quote Originally Posted by tpcornet12

Hey there its all friendly banter I think my comments made earlier may have come over a bit strong but that is certainly not the case. In the end whatever the result what ever the performance we will all be having a pint after and talking about trying for qualification next year.

The open rehearsal we had last night was great and the piece was received well so we have had a run out. Like you we approach this year with a better and wiser band and are looking to improve on our last years result.

Who knows on the day what will happen as nobody really knows the competition well enough so I wish you all the best on stage (fingers crossed behind my back).

Have a great weekend and if you’re around come say hi in the bar.

Smithy Boy how it going?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast