Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ingerlund-free thread!

Ingerlund-free thread!

I think we 'supporters of other countries' need a thread of our own to discuss the World Cup, without it turning into a metatarsal discussion or a Walcott, Lampard, Rooney (etc) love-fest!

So who are you supporting during the WC, and why?

I'm going for Spain, because they have Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia and Pepe Reina, and Rafa's a spaniard, followed by Brazil, just because they're Brazil!!!

Viva Espana!

tMP Master Friend
    Just wanna wish paraguay, sweden, and trinidad and tobago the very best of luck!

Brasil to pick up no6 , since I got hold of a copy of the 1970 world cup final, the best team performance in a final so far..good but boring in 1994 ( same coach as 2006) , brilliant and unlucky in 1998 awesome in 2002 don't know if the luck will hold but I hope so , good swansong for Roberto Carlos ( think he is about 60 now)and Cafu( about 200 years old and still doing it in Italy)Emerson ( Juventus)....still with players like Juan ( Bayern Munich) , Lucio ( Bayern Munich) and a few other squad members with german league experience along with Roberto Carlos and Cafu , looks like a pretty water tight defence , but when you can boast an attacking quartet of Kaka ( ac milan) , adriano ( Inter Milan) , Ronaldinio ( Barca) , and the big fella Ronaldo ( Real) you can say you are going to score a few , shame that there are not many in the starting lineup who play in brasil...I think first time you have a Europe based 1st 11 , could be wrong tho...
    I have a dodgy feeling that Germany ( who were slated in the last world cup but still ended up runner up) to sneak there again ( didn't they hammer a team 7-0 the other day)..
    Last edited by nickjones; 30.05.2006 at 16:41.
    Nick Jones
    "looks like your village is missing it's idiot"

tMP Master Friend
    and just out of interest, with greece winning the euro's, could another not so big name win the world cup?

forget france, italy, spain, holland, germany, brazil and argentina (and us coz we can't mention them in this foreign thread lol)

the above teams i would put as favourites to reach the quarter finals

but perhaps consider the pace and skill of japan and south korea

maybe the physical style from ivory coast and ghana

how about the team spirit of USA and australia

or the flair of mexico and paraguay

and how could we count out the many smaller euro nations aswell

i dont think this world cup is as clear cut as many think it might be

tMP Master Friend
    aye but i dont think the opposition had even qualified for the world cup, they werent much cop, werent it luxumberg or some1else of a similar small size? lol

Still as Motty would say it's still 11 against 11...don't think there will be too many suprises , South Korea ( with the mighty wolves represented in the starting 11) will be marked out by the big guns , don't think they will make it out the group stage ( Dick Aadvokat ex rangers in charge)..Australia with Guus Hiddink might be worth a quater final place ( depends on the group) , and without Nigeria ,South Africa and Cameroon and the traditional African Heavyweights , you have new faces like Togo and the Ivory Coast still as what happended in Japan I think there will be no shocks this time.
    Nick Jones
    "looks like your village is missing it's idiot"

Quote Originally Posted by madandcrazytromboneguy
    aye but i dont think the opposition had even qualified for the world cup, they werent much cop, werent it luxumberg or some1else of a similar small size? lol
    Eh?
    Sam

[QUOTE=madandcrazytromboneguy]
    japan and south korea
    Nope
    ivory coast and ghana
    Nope
    USA and australia
    Nope
    mexico
    Maybe
    paraguay
    Nope

I think the main difference between the above and Greece in Euro 2004 was that their (Greece) defence was too solid for basically anyone to score against, and they managed to shove a few in at the right time. Those above ... I just don't think they've got it - Brazil could take any of them apart IMO.
    Andy Moore
    Brighouse and Rastrick Band

tMP Friend in Training BA Baritone's Avatar
    AS a Scot I have to say I support any team that are playing against England. A question that is going round my work is "How long will it take Motty to mention 66?"

But the team that I will start behind until they are knocked out is T&T as they have a few players based in Scotland. after that it will be the sexy football of Brazil. I would fancy Spain but they have a reputation of always underachieving, but maybe this time!

Ross

I'll be supporting Trinidad & Tobago! Wrexham's Dennis Lawrence plays for them, and also ex Wrexham (now Luton) Carlos Edwards.

Eek!! I think I'm the only Jock in the world that will be supporting England!! (Until they get knocked out of course, then I pull on my yellow and green samba shirt!)
    Not just quite emulating last years successes!
    2009/2010 Stocksbridge Band Club "Most Entertaining Band"

tMP Friend in Training BA Baritone's Avatar
    I wouldn't mind them wining as it will stop the talk of 66, but I just dont think they will, so it's another four years of living in the past.

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by BA Baritone
    A question that is going round my work is "How long will it take Motty to mention 66?"
    That's an easy one - within the first five minutes of England's first game, like he does with every other World Cup and World Cup Qualifing game....

Anyway, this is a non-England thread so I'd better shut up before I get modded.
    Ian Hayto | Flugel | Enderby Band

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenFlugel
    That's an easy one - within the first five minutes of England's first game, like he does with every other World Cup and World Cup Qualifing game....
    I'm gonna guess within the first five minutes of the opening match of the tournament!

tMP Posting Freak!!! DublinBass's Avatar
    I just hope the U.S. finishes in the same spot as Brazil in their respectives as it will mean 1) We got through the group phase and 2) we have a chance at the semis...otherwise it'll be a short trip
    Eb Bass
    Dublin Community Bands
    http://www.facebook.com/DublinBands

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast