Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Senior Cup - live from Blackpool

The Senior Cup - live from Blackpool

tMP team interviews, gossip and discussion on the 4BR retrospective of each bands performance.

Keep watching!!

tMP Friend
    Sounds like there were some really good efforts on a difficult piece.
    I'm pleased with our result, I think it's pretty fair.

Congrats to the winners, commiserations to the others, there's always another year
    Ralph Little
    http://www.skelmanthorpeband.info

"Man who shoot off mouth....expect to lose face."

OK, so did you all agree with what was posted on 4Br regarding your performances? Let's have some feedback.

Hi John, nice to meet you and Sparkly on Saturday!
    Thank you for the comments on Newstead, winning yesterday was absolutely fantastic- hopefully erase the controversy from the Area and prove that we're on top form this year!
    Was good to read your balanced and fair views, hope this 4BR and tMP partnership continues to prosper, but pity about the lack of wireless activity!
    Well done guys!
    Alex Seedhouse; Euphonium
    Royal Northern College of Music

Thanks Alex, you too. Glad you felt the comments on 4BR were fair and accurate.

*whispers* My cheques in the post now then John...
    Nah, only joking! Hope you and Sparkly enjoyed your adjudicating experiences, seemed to be doing so when I saw you! Like I said before, hope you get chance for another collaboration with the 4BR team
    Alex Seedhouse; Euphonium
    Royal Northern College of Music

Talking Blackpool Weekend!

Well done to all for the contest on Saturday. Went along and watched several of the bands and there were a few good performances and more than a few poor performances. Yet againthough, I think they got the pieces the wrong way round - similar to around 3 or 4 years ago with Paganini and Tallis Variations. I think Harmony music is far harder than Whitsun Wakes, and judging by the performances I heard, it was certainly more than a test and a half for some bands.
    Anyway, that aside, I'm surprised that Skelmanthorpe didn't come further up the results - thought they played very well, lots of detail (apart from the first couple of bars...) and a good overall sound. Same with Wingates - thought they played a good performance as well.

Well done to all who took part. Looking forward to next year!

P.S. Well done to the poor girl who had to keep correcting the signs after we'd had been changing the letters round to make rude words. You were a superstar!
    Growing more and more cynical with each passing minute...

Quote Originally Posted by HUDDSBASSBONE
    Anyway, that aside, I'm surprised that Skelmanthorpe didn't come further up the results - thought they played very well, lots of detail (apart from the first couple of bars...) and a good overall sound.
    cheers for the remarks, yes apart from the couple of bars at the opening we thought (including our MD John) that it was a good, well balanced performance. Not disapointed at all with the perorfmance.

We did think we may get a little higher but a good weekend had by all.

Well done to all bands that competed, although not sure why they have moved the contest forward again next year. As a wedding photographer with bookings in to 2008 the moving of some of these contests is proving to be a little bit of a nightmere!

well done all

Paddo
    Mark Wilkinson,
    BBb Bass
    www.marlinimages.co.uk
    www.marlinimagesphotography.co.uk
    BBb players prefer going DOWN! all the way DOWN......

tMP Friend
    Yeah, I thought the comments were pretty fair - I didn't have an especially good day

But once the band got setlled down, I thought we were clear, controlled and exciting. As the comments said, the cadenzas and opening spoiled it for us.

I think the placing was pretty fair, although I didn't hear any of the other bands - I estimated about 7th for us based solely on how I thought we played (we got 8th in the end), so it was pretty close - that's banding for you
    Ralph Little
    http://www.skelmanthorpeband.info

"Man who shoot off mouth....expect to lose face."

Yeah - I was happy with our comments from 4BR. They painted a mostly accurate picture.
    Loved the "sit back and enjoy" comment.

I think we came off stage knowing it could have been better than 6th but that's contesting
    I guess. 19th draw makes it a long day also I suppose. See you all next year eh?

ps - loved the changing letters on the sign in the bar - genius!!!
    Stephen Gibson - BBb Bass
    East Yorkshire Motor Services Band
    Senior Cup Winners 2008
    Most Entertaining Band - Butlins 2011
    North of England Runner Up 2011
    Senior Cup Runner Up 2013

tMP Friend
    4BR comments were spot on for us. Definitely not our best performance, but thats contesting. Well done to the winners.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste69
    Yeah - I was happy with our comments from 4BR. They painted a mostly accurate picture.
    Loved the "sit back and enjoy" comment.

I think we came off stage knowing it could have been better than 6th but that's contesting
    I guess. 19th draw makes it a long day also I suppose. See you all next year eh?

ps - loved the changing letters on the sign in the bar - genius!!!
    Here, here. I appreciated the round of applause from Hatfield as well on Saturday morning after I finished packing the boot of the bus.
    Sam

Hope everyone liked my kerplunk interlude the middle of our perfomance, got a nice mention off both adjudicators in their comments...."percussion sticks solo not welcome!"(F.Renton). I think that mistake will haunt me for a while yet! Still nice to see it didn't distract from the great playing from the band......Grand shield next year...woohoo!!
    BOOVER

I agree with soe of the comments about the test pieces being the wrong way around (maybe) and yes it was evident in some performances, I only heard a few other bands. Well done to qualifiers. Unfortunately I missed the elation of hearing the results, darn! Too busy catching up with Shaz and Vicky in the bar and numerous other riddings and thoresby players (and Emma, ain't seen you in about 3 years, what a suprise!) numerous others too.

Thanks for all the lovely comments from the people I spoke to after we had played, guess they were right. 4bars comments were really good too, appreciated them a lot too, its about time.

Two wins on the trot eh, it's been a great start to the year.

Well done to everyone again on Harmony Music

See you in the Grand Shield
    Blake Tague
    Solo Horn
    Newstead Brass

Glad to read you thought the 4BR comments were good Blake.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast