Thread: The Flowers of the Forest

tMP Friend for Life Anno Draconis's Avatar

The Flowers of the Forest

I've been trying (for blimmin' hours ) to find a copy of the Scottish lament The Flowers of the Forest - the same one that Richard Rodney Bennett based his piece for the NYBB on. I've tried all the big free sheet music sites but I can't find the right version. Anyone know where I can find it? Preferably free, but if I have to I'll give the wallet-moths some fresh air. Doesn't have to be harmonised, just the melody is all I need.

Cheers
    Andrew Baker

Banned
    http://members.tripod.com/~LPlace/midi.html

^ 5 min google search
    Scroll down a bit, you'll see the "scottish" section.... click on the title.... midi... right click "save target as" and you can load it in Sib.....

hope its the right 'version'......................
    Last edited by Naomi McFadyen; 08.05.2006 at 01:23.

Thanks, Naomi . I had tried that that one; that version seem to be more common than the one I want. The tune I'm looking for was also featured in Michael Nyman's soundtrack for the film "The Piano"; Classic FM are flogging it to death at the moment!

I might have to spend a few hours at the Henry Watson library (any excuse )
    Andrew Baker

Banned
    Yea... thing is a lot of these tunes are adapted.... hymn tunes are typical for this... 3 tunes, same title etc..... If the tune you want was used for "The Piano" theme why not hunt out the soundtrack name instead? Or if you know the melody anyway, sit infront of a keyboard and work out the notes that way

Happy hunting!

Found it! In an old book of Scottish folk-songs at the HWML in Manchester. As I suspected, both Nyman and Bennett had taken "liberties" with the original melody which is why I was wary of simply notating their versions by ear.
    Andrew Baker