Thread: Can you help?

tMP Friend in Training tenor_horn_18's Avatar

Can you help?

For my A-level, i am studying a piece of music called Fantasy Variations by Leslie Pearson. To meet the criteria, i need to write about Leslie Pearson but can't find any information. Can anyone help? Thanks, Sarah x

Cool Leslie Pearson

Hi Sarah

Input "Leslie Pearson" on Google and got a number of hits:

Has written solo books for Horn and Trombone (check out musicroom.com) and Fantasy Variations for brass band (Allmusic.com) - is this your Fantasy or is yours a horn solo?
    Also
    STANDARD 0F EXCELLENCE , BK 1 - EB HORN PEARSON 5.95
    STANDARD OF EXCELLENCE (BASS CLEF ) BARITONE PEARSON

LP also arranged music for surrey brass so be worth visiting surreybrass.co.uk

Also from classical music web: not sure if this is the same LP - there are a number of hits for LP being accompaniest on organ/harpsichord
    LESLIE PEARSON, not to be confused with Johnny Pearson, who was no relation so far as I know and best known for his title music for the TV episodes of All Creatures Great and Small, has brought out a number of lightish compositions which are reasonably often performed, for example the Dance Suite for orchestra and Hiplips for brass ensemble.

This may give you some pointers.

Coffee break is over so better get back to my day job.

Cheers

McEuphie
    McEuphie
    Brass Band Anoraki

tMP Friend in Training
    Bit of a long shot, but have you tried looking in the latest edition of "Groves"? They often have some of the more modern composers in. I remember having similar problems when doing my A-Level. Alternatively, do a search, and try to find an email address -- people do tend to respond if you flatter them a little

Thanks alot that really helps, must admit I was really starting to panic, with the deadline looming. Thanks again. Sarah x

- is it the same Leslie Pearson, who is one of the UK's premier organists? Still not a lot about him in the sleevenotes (zero, in fact) when he accompanies the likes of trumpet player Graham Ashton.
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

I'm not sure if he is the premier organist. I know its the Leslie Pearson of the tenor horn solo's book, 'Going Solo'. I also know that he wrote music for the TV episodes 'All Creatures Great and Small' and he played the harpsichord. Other than this i dont really know anything about him. I really appreciate you trying to help me. Thanks, Sarah x

Quote Originally Posted by tenor_horn_18
    I'm not sure if he is the premier organist. I know its the Leslie Pearson of the tenor horn solo's book, 'Going Solo'. I also know that he wrote music for the TV episodes 'All Creatures Great and Small' and he played the harpsichord. Other than this i dont really know anything about him. I really appreciate you trying to help me. Thanks, Sarah x
    - sounds still like the same person
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements