Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TMP headlines for your band web site

Administrator

TMP headlines for your band web site

Hi

I have written some flash panels which can be used to put up to date TMP headlines on your bands website.

It has been tested on www.hathernband.co.uk for a while now and John has given me permission to serve them from TMP.

If you would like to use them for your site please go to http://www.hathernband.co.uk/html/tmpbanners.shtml and follow the instructions.

All you need to do is to copy a few lines of html into your html and away you go. If you have any problems please email me via mailto:webmaster@hathernband.co.uk

Hope you like these, please let me know if you use them

Thanks to John for hosting them

Steve

tMP Prime Friend
    Very good Steve, you're more useful than that wife of yours who is just mean!!!
    Last edited by Di; 12.04.2006 at 22:11. Reason: Spelling corrected. Proving i'm useful!

These are really neat

As far as I can tell these link to files hosted by tMP. Would it be possible/permitted to host the swf's ourselves so that there isn't a blank box on our site if tMP is down?
    Last edited by axio; 13.04.2006 at 00:58.
    Soprano players are the quietest players in the whole band.....................................on average.
    http://www.feildingbrass.org.nz/

Administrator
    The honest answer is I am not sure if they would work. The panels open an xml file from tmp and flash has some security rules built in to make sure that xml files are loaded from the same subdomain as the movie was served from. They may or may not work.

You are welcome to try, but I think they are best on tmp for several reasons. I can fix bugs without bothering you and I can change the source of the xml feed without affecting you. If you copy them you are likely to find they become permanently broken if we ever have to move things around.

I have used this on the hathern site for 6 months now and TMP has always been very reliable. Its only a few teething troubles with the new server causing the odd problem now and I am confident they will soon be sorted by John

On the blank box - I think you can change the background colour so you dont see a white box if the movie doesnt load. I will look into that, update the page on the hathern site tonight and post back here.

Cheers

Steve

Administrator
    Could the Mods make this 'sticky' or somewhere permanently available please?

Ta

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve_r
    Could the Mods make this 'sticky' or somewhere permanently available please?

Ta

Steve
    Stuck, and moved to tMP News for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_r
    <snip>
    Hope you like these, please let me know if you use them

Thanks to John for hosting them

Steve
    An excellent addition to our front page!

Many thanks from Woodbridge Excelsior

Andyh
    (http://www.woodbridgeexcelsiorband.org/

Nice addition Andy, thanks for this.

Anyone else: feel free to add this to your www site.

Since we published the banners, there has been a change in IE which stops active content like flash from running until you click on it. If you have the banner on your site there is a workaround for this.

If you pop back to the hathern site at http://www.hathernband.co.uk/html/tmpbanners.shtml , we have changed the scripts slightly so that the page is written by javascript rather than in the html.

This is a workaround provided by Adobe so if you want to get rid of the click to activate message you can do another quick cut and paste again from our page as you did before.
    Midlands Regional Champions, 2nd Section - 2011

Administrator
    Hi Y'all

Thanks to everyone who has used the flash headlines box on their web.

The take up has not been as high as I hoped it would be and I think a part of that is down to the fact that the flash panels were not configurable for colours etc.

To fix this and make it easier to customise I have written a javascript and CSS version which is demoed on the PolySteel links page and available to download from theMouthPiece.com.

Anyone fancy giving it a go?

Let me know if you have any problems

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
    Hi Y'all

Thanks to everyone who has used the flash headlines box on their web.

The take up has not been as high as I hoped it would be and I think a part of that is down to the fact that the flash panels were not configurable for colours etc.

To fix this and make it easier to customise I have written a javascript and CSS version which is demoed on the PolySteel links page and available to download from theMouthPiece.com.

Anyone fancy giving it a go?

Let me know if you have any problems

Steve
    Installed and working fine for Woodbridge. No problems so far!

Many thanks,
    Andy
    3rd-man-down...
    Woodbridge Excelsior Band

Administrator
    Nice one Andy Thanks - Lets keep em coming now.

I notice you get an underline on the link and I dont (I thought I had turned it off) Still looks nice though.

Do you prefer this to the flash then? I would be interested to know why

Cheers

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
    Nice one Andy Thanks - Lets keep em coming now.

I notice you get an underline on the link and I dont (I thought I had turned it off) Still looks nice though.

Do you prefer this to the flash then? I would be interested to know why

Cheers

Steve
    My site uses several css stylesheets so I'll have to check to make sure yours isn't being overridden by one of mine - I'm not at my own pc to check just now though.

Yes, actually I do prefer the javascript solution to Flash - at lease one of our members was being bothered by prompts to install flash and didn't want to; so this is a neat solution for us as there's no other flash objects on the site.

Cheers,
    Andy
    3rd-man-down...

now on the Becontree 'news' page

www.becontree.org
    Kim
    'Everything will be okay in the end
    If it's not okay, it's not the end'
    Brass and Braces Blog

Steve,

re: discarding the underline from links, I added the line in red below to the stylesheet declarations and that does the trick...

a.tmpPanel:hover {
    color: red;
    text-decoration: none;
    }

Regards
    Andy
    3rd-man-down...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast