Thread: Bari Mouthpieces

tMP Friend in Training

Bari Mouthpieces

Warmer sound wanted.....anyone got any recomendations on the mouthpiece front?

tMP Master Friend
    Oh dear....I feel lots of Baritone jokes coming!
    Heather

tMP Friend in Training
    You could be right!!

So as not to upset anyone though I will quickly point out that my question was genuine as I need all the help I can get. I'm used to playing euph and having it easy. I find bari much more challenging (perhaps not part wise) particularly playing loudly and maintaining a decent sound. I am in no way critisising the bari as an instrument and any jokes resulting from my original question were not my intention

If you have a friendly dealer close by, I'm afraid it's a matter of trying out as many as possible, as only you know exactly what you are looking for.

My partner uses Bach trombone mouthpieces which seem to work very well. Be careful that you keep that baritone sound and don't get too close to the 'small euph' sound or 'valve trombone sound' so often heard.

Good luck !

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

Bach or Yamaha always work better for me than DW - proportionally smaller rims & deeper cups, which make it easier to get a fat horn sound (as opposed to weedy euph) without losing the top of the register.

BUT, Highams is right and the only way to be sure is try them out. Good luck!

tMP Friend in Training

Re: Bari Mouthpieces

Quote Originally Posted by greatcheese
    Warmer sound wanted.....anyone got any recomendations on the mouthpiece front?

Try the Schilke 51C4 Mouthpiece. You can get it from USA cheaper than from UK agents.

ABP

tMP Prime Friend
    I swithched from Euph/Trombone to bari recently and had the same problem. The little wick mouthpieces dont work and you just get a thin sound. I always used a bach 4g for my euph/trom playing as it works equally well on both unlike the wick models (poor for trombone!!) and found that the 4g came with a small shank. I tried it on the baritone an it works a treat!!! Upper register can be a bit tricky if you arent used to a mouthpiece this size but when it finally clicks it is definately worth it. Dont rush out and buy one but I would definately recommend it. Vincent Bach 4GS is the model. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Steve21
    I swithched from Euph/Trombone to bari recently and had the same problem. The little wick mouthpieces dont work and you just get a thin sound. I always used a bach 4g for my euph/trom playing as it works equally well on both unlike the wick models (poor for trombone!!) and found that the 4g came with a small shank. I tried it on the baritone an it works a treat!!! Upper register can be a bit tricky if you arent used to a mouthpiece this size but when it finally clicks it is definately worth it. Dont rush out and buy one but I would definately recommend it. Vincent Bach 4GS is the model. Good luck
    SHameless plug, but I have 2 VBach 4c mpieces I'm trying to get rid of. Which are the same cup size, but with a slightly narrowly back bore and slightly shallower cup I think. Let me know if you are interested in trying them out

RIch
    Richard Walker
    Lead Alto - Bone On Trombone Choir

"Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water." --W. C. Fields