Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: rule clarification help needed urgently

So....just to clarify.....brass players CAN play percussion as well as their usual instrument? I am afriad we will be doing this as we are short of percussion (i.e we haven't got any!!).

I can see where your all coming from, but in this day and age needs must in regards to swaping and changing parts. In our band we tend to give our players more parts rather than take them away as we don't have a full contingent!

tMP Newbie
    Yes. A brass player can play percussion, but not vice versa. The exact rule is "A brass player may only play one brass instrument unless required by the score"

My band queried this with the Registry who weren't 100% sure how to interpret the rule and referred us to Kapitol Promotions.

The good news is that Kapitol confirmed that a brass player can get up half way through the piece and play some percussion.
    Cornet - Woodfalls Band

As one of the bass trom players did at the end of Images in the 2nd sec. got up and playe Gong to finish, very nicely done too!
    Garry Hallas.

And if i'm not mistaken tMPs own sparkling_quavers did at te end of the pontins piece a couple of years back.
    Tim Benson MEng CEng MICE

Occasional Trombone - Oughtibridge Band
    @tim_ed

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    Ian, our 2nd trombone stood up and played Tam-Tam for the last 8 bars of 'voyage.' We weren't going to tell the bass trom player that was the plan, just to see his face when Ian stood up and left his seat mid-piece.... but alas, he found out.
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4