Thread: Sunburst - The Music of Darrol Barry

Hybrid View

Sunburst - The Music of Darrol Barry

We are pleased to announce that a new cd "Sunburst - The Music of Darrol Barry" is now available. The cd features the world famous ‘Fodens Richardson Band’ and four of their fine soloists conducted by Mike Fowles, The CD contains all new releases available from Studio Music dating from 1984 to 2005 and includes premier recordings of my first three Concerto's (Flugel - Helen Fox, Baritone - Helen Tyler and Tuba - Les Neish). I think there is something for everybody to enjoy, we have heard a proof copy and it sounds great.

Visit either www.studio-music.co.uk or you can purchase it directly from World of Brass http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/24682.html or from Midland CD Club http://www.ukcd.net/details.asp?ref=1623

Looking forward to hearing your comments, hope you enjoy it and you never know we might get a volume 2

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.
    Darrol Barry
    Composer & Arranger
    Royal Guard of Oman

Have ordered the CD as a Xmas present for myself

Will put my comments about the CD when I have heard it.

Will be honest as usual Daz.
    Moira Ross

Have listened to most of the CD and it's well worth the buy.

It is good to hear some of Daz's more substantial works - although there's still a hellava lot more there to be heard.

Let's hope those who pick the testpieces give you a chance to write or submit something for the higher sections. We all know you write well for the lower sections but I know you have some great pieces that would do very well in the Championship and or 1st Section.

Keep up the good work.
    By the way well done to all the soloists and a special mention must go to my pal Helen. Incredable playing pal - you are a star - your playing was awesome on the CD. I know the piece is not easy yet you made it sound so.

PS Helen don't tell your top man but honest our Calum played the Elegy beatifully - think it's 'cause he's a Scotsman and he captured the style. In saying that it is still good playing on your CD

WELL DONE FLASHBARRY - EXCELLENT WORK.
    Moira Ross

Below is a copy of the review received by Iwan at www.fourbarsrest.com

Darrol Barry has been around a long time. That may seem a slightly cruel thing to say, especially as he is still only 50 years of age, but his music has been such an integral part of the brass band movement that you forget that this former joiner has not even reached his prime years as a composer.

His music has brought delight to countless performers ever since he started to gain recognition after being one of the first alumni of the now Salford University and its far reaching Band Musicianship Course.

His is a very individual compositional voice for brass: you can recognise his works almost immediately when they are performed: strongly melodic, rhythmically vibrant, neatly constructed, technically aware, but above all, interesting and always pleasing to the ear.

Perhaps that may explain why the movement hasn't utilised his talent to the full: There has not been a major Championship composition to his name – a real pity, and a great missed opportunity (although there is plenty of time for that to be rectified). Where others of lesser ability have been lauded, Barry has been pigeon holed as a composer of ‘light entertainment' music – a totally unfair misrepresentation of a composer with such a varied palate from which to work. He does write the light stuff very well indeed (so well in fact that there can't be a band in the land who hasn't included at least one work on their concert programme), but he has a commanding ability to compose so called extended ‘serious' works too.

Both facets of his skill are on show with this release, from the clever pastiche of the American inspired circus march ‘Billy Bob's Centennial Bash' and the fiendishly difficult ‘The Black Bull' march, through to the elegant and lyrical ‘Elegy', the almost cinematic ‘Sunburst' march and vibrant concert overture, ‘Wigan Pier'. All are composed with such an assured touch and feel for the balance between the sections of the ensemble that the real touches of class – a sly musical wit and clever use of thematic development ('Dance to th' Daddy' is a case in point) shines through.

It is the extended trio of Concerti that reveals a maturity of musical thought that is even more pleasing though, and each immediately allows the soloist to command the stage from the word go.

The 'Flugel Concerto' is given a cracking performance by Helen Fox, technically assured, warm of tone and with a fine sense if musicality. Each of the three movements asks a great deal even of such a fine player, and she responds with classy authority, from the technical jazz inspired first (which ends with a startling abruptness), through the Iberian flow of the second and the athletic third. It is a very fine performance of a very fine piece.

The 'Baritone Concerto' is perhaps the most interesting of the three and Helen Tyler produces a wonderful account of it. The energetic opening movement is handled with aplomb, whilst the darker more solemn second showcases her ability to darken her own sound right to the cleverly constructed cadenza that leads into the youthful flourish that is the third. Another very fine performance from another very fine player.

Finally the 'Tuba Concerto', which was originally written for the breathtaking talents of Steve Sykes. Here Leslie Neish produces an account that Mr Sykes would have been particularly proud of – full of real depth of sound and character, technically virtuosity and a lovely sense of style. The composer allows the soloist to explore the extremities of technique and sound without recourse to easy cheap tricks in a bid to create either excitement of astonishment. The result is a mature work given a very mature performance.

Throughout the release, Fodens themselves are on excellent form and admirably directed by Michael Fowles, whilst there should be a deserved mention for Mark Wilkinson who both leads the band with such style both as a corner man and as a very assured soloist.

Darrol Barry's considerable talents are done justice with this release. It only leaves you wondering how good a joiner he was before he decided to plumb for a career in music?

Iwan Fox

Anyone else had a chance to listen to it??

Cheers
    Darrol Barry
    Composer & Arranger
    Royal Guard of Oman

I've got it in the car at the moment, and I'm loving it. My only "complaint" is that it doesn't include Salford Sinfonietta.... bring on volume 2!!
    Alex
    my posts are my views only, I am not speaking for my band or any other organisation