Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chatroom???????

tMP Master Friend

Chatroom???????

I am not very 'well up' on this sort of thing but is there any way you could include a chatroom on here?
    Perhaps you don't want one, which is ok, it was just an idea.
    There is one on the MSN Brass Band Forum but it isn't used very much now. I think it could be very successful on this site.
    p.s
    just logged on and there are 86 new posts since I last visited!!! Its only just over 24hrs since I was last on here!!!

tMP Friend for Life

yeah could be a good idea...although enough people need to on-line at the same time to make it work!

I also think it's a good idea...

We have several options here:

1) MusicMan can get a phpBB add-on for a chatroom, but this may cost him a fair whack of money... not to mention time to set up.

2) We could create a chat room on AOL Instant Messenger, although this would not be a permanent room.

3) We could use IRC in a similar way to option 2... possibility?

4) We could use IRC and set up a permanent chatroom in there. All that would be needed then, if people aren't prepared to use Trillian or mIRC, would be a java IRC shell, which can be got for free from many websites, and the link can be added into the menu bar at the top.

If we were voting, option 4 would be my choice. IRC is very good.

However, I'm not fully clued in on how to go about this.

I do know a man who is, so if you like I'll have a word with him, and see how difficult it is to get a room set up.

Your thoughts?
    Cheers,
    Fishsta
    www.fishsta.co.uk - (Updated 26th September 2012)
    -------------

Heather / sparkling_quavers / Fishsta / everyone else!!

I have indeed toyed with the idea of a 'chat' room function on theMouthPiece.com and all things considered, I am in favour of one however, as Fishsta suggests, this does need careful planning from an implementation perspective. I have a strategy and hence a 'plan' for the on-going development and betterment of theMouthPiece.com and this is one of the features I had identified as having a high(ish) priority.

As you might be aware, I am somewhat amazed [and delighted] at the way theMouthPiece.com has been received which of course is just brilliant - it's just that I had not planned for such an implementation so soon. There are several features I will be adding in the not too distant future - much sooner than I had intended based on the present take up - can I ask you to bare with me on this please?. I would not want to have built up such a fabuluous active membership only to risk losing any of them due to my complete misjudgement of how quickly theMouthPiece.com would grow and how often it would be used by our members.

I need to find some development resource quickly and then find the cash to pay for it *smiles at; and acts in a creeping manner to wife!!!* , and I then promise to move much more quickly on these types of additional functionality.

We will get there, I am 100% committed to the success of theMouthPiece.com, with your help we'll get there sooner!!!

Thanks...

John,

There are many FREE resources out there that are of equal quality to many paid-for resources. If your hosting is adequate, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to host a chat room at certain times without costing you any money.

If you like I can make some enquiries on some of the other forums I frequent as to the amount of bandwidth/server resources a chat application would consume, and the best way of going about it. Without putting you out of pocket!
    /home/me/ | Carlton Brass Website

*insert amusing signature here*

How's it going with this? The site would be complete with a chat room!

You can get a chat add-on for this board which works fine. http://smartor.is-root.com/viewtopic.php?t=1514

Colin.
    Musical Director: Backworth Colliery Band

An additinal suggestion for thi chat room.

I would suggest that it is only open a certain times, say 12-13 at lunchtime and maybe 22-23 at night. This will I think help ensure that we get plenty of people involved when it is up.

If there is enough interest in a chat room, I can have a word about setting up a room with a friend of mine....and it wont cost a penny.
    Kev Mann
    Ex Player

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.- Victor Hugo.

a chat room would be top
    Leisa Mallalieu-Ingman
    Wakefield Metropolitan Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by leisa
    a chat room would be top
    In the attic
    Peter Bale
    BBb bass, Hadleigh Temple Band
    Alto sax, Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
    tMP band, Whit Friday 2004; tMP band, Hadleigh, April 2005

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBale
    Quote Originally Posted by leisa
    a chat room would be top
    In the attic

hehe:P

Leisa Mallalieu-Ingman

Calling all Mods......

I have asked some questions and we can have a chat room on tiscali server from next week if we want one. Can you Mods let me know if you would like me to go ahead and set it up. As I said before....it wont cost a penny.
    Kev Mann
    Ex Player

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.- Victor Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro
    Calling all Mods......

I have asked some questions and we can have a chat room on tiscali server from next week if we want one. Can you Mods let me know if you would like me to go ahead and set it up. As I said before....it wont cost a penny.
    Suggest you PM John with this one.

tMP Senior Friend big_benthomson's Avatar
    a chatroom would be a cool idea, but all the tax'dodging students like myself who scab off the free internet access at college are banned from chatrooms in college or school (well, i know i am), but its still worth doing

Quote Originally Posted by big_benthomson
    a chatroom would be a cool idea, but all the tax'dodging students like myself who scab off the free internet access at college are banned from chatrooms in college or school (well, i know i am), but its still worth doing
    yeh so am i!! and it scares me cos they always say "this action has been logged!" :?
    Leisa Mallalieu-Ingman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast