Thread: In for a penny....

In for a penny....

Hi everyone, my proper name is Pam and I play principal cornet for Middleton Band. In case you are wondering where the "sterling sop" bit comes into it, it's the only name I could come up with many many moons ago when I first set up my hotmail account, and as I was playing soprano on an instrument made by Sterling, I thought it natural to call myself "sterlingsop". So there!

I started playing at the age of 7 at Bowker Vale Primary School in Manchester under Bernard Northwood, who introduced me to banding at the Blackley Junior Band (where I first met HorniKaz and her brother Stephen, who wrote the piece of music for me and my husb to walk down the aisle to on our wedding day).

To cut a very long and boring story short, I have played a combination of Bb cornet and soprano cornet for North Music Centre (where I met Kevin my husband), Blackley Band, Moston and Beswick Band, United Norwest Co-op Pioneer Band (now Milnrow), Greenfield and Middleton Band.

My biggest influences have been Bernard Northwood, Ray Grand, Allan Jones, Eric Craven, Dave Chapman, Malcolm Cockerill and more recently Martin Obermuller. Over my playing career, each of these men have taught me something new about my playing and musical understanding, and perhaps even more importantly, new things about myself.

Away from the crazy world of brass banding, I am an officer in the Church Lads and Church Girls Brigade which involves badgework, drill, games and marching band training with kids from the age of 4 years old and upwards. I am a self-confessed bookaholic - I constantly have a book (or 5) on the go and will read ANYTHING (except Danielle Steele and my bank statements). I used to do a lot of embroidery, but as the kids have grown up the number safe places to leave needles and scissors etc has drastically reduced so until my living room is free of hotwheels cars, bits of lego, train track, bits of action man, half built robots, k'nex models and the like my embroidery days are definitely on the back burner!

Simply put, I love playing my cornet. So much so that it's more like a prosthesis these days than a musical instrument! I can also strum a few chords on a guitar, burst the bezoomers out of a bugle, squawk a melody out of a clarinet, toot a hoot on the flute, scrape the guts out of a violin, bash the skin off a drum and do multiphonics on a digeridoo. And that's all true!!

That's all folks
    Last edited by sterlingsop; 29.07.2005 at 02:19. Reason: spelling
    Pam
    Middleton Band
    Never explain - your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway

With all that list of activities I'm surprised you manage to find time for tMP

Good to have you on board
    Peter Bale
    BBb bass, Hadleigh Temple Band
    Alto sax, Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
    tMP band, Whit Friday 2004; tMP band, Hadleigh, April 2005

Cheers Peter - it looks a lot on paper, but when you're living it it doesn't seem that busy! I admit to having rather thinner skin on my teeth than most people.....it's got worn a bit by all the times I just about make it through stuff!!
    Pam
    Middleton Band
    Never explain - your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway

Quote Originally Posted by sterlingsop
    where I first met HorniKaz and her brother Steven
    Awwwwwww.......... I get a mention. Thanks Pam. I must correct you on 2 points though. The first, I've already corrected. Our kid spells his name with a v. At least I think he still does!! Private joke for anyone who knows the drama!! Secondly, I never actually played in Blackley Junior Band. Started in at the deep end with the big guns! Only due to the fact that my Dad played with em. But anyway...........

I've had the previlige to have known Pam for a long time. Fantastic person!
    Karen - 1st Horn
    www.stainesbrass.co.uk
    Booyakasha!!Booyakasha

Well blow me down...I could've sworn you played in the junior band! My fuddled brain is getting a bit old now Kaz so forgive me!!
    Pam
    Middleton Band