Thread: I've had an exciting day

I've had an exciting day

Well. Where should I start? How's about at the beginning?

This morning my HoD, the lovely Rachel was being observed - as part of her training - by the ejit known as our Head. The observation was of an A level lesson. Alongside the head was a visitor from the LEA who is also taking part in this management training.

Bear in mind that Rachel has to teach 2 Lower 6th pupils in a tiny practice room the size of a large toilet cubicle, which also houses from time to time a drumkit, a double bass and various keyboards. One student plays violin and the other is a pianist and Rachel is a flautist. At this time of year they are rehearsing for the practical exam, which is next week.

On the other side of this non-soundproofed wall is yours truly in a room that used to be a 6th form teaching room now over-filled by 26 large Y9 pupils doing film music on a variety of keyboards and percussion instruments with me helping by 'playing' loudly on the piano with boxing gloves. We do not use headphones with the keyboards because it takes too long setting them and the keyboards up.

We also have to have the doors open because it gets unhealthily hot in the classroom.

Apparently the head was expecting Rachel to move one of the other teachers out of their room so she could accommodate the stupid man. That was his first mistake. The second was in thinking that I would not take the greeatest of pleasure in embarrassing the little sod by announcing in a loud voice that "But it's like this all the time headmaster. Sometimes we even have to watch out for health and safety inspectors when we have wires..." At that point he had hurried the LEA woman into the room. I'm sure you can tell I was enjoying this.

Apparently he was further disgruntled when Rachel decided that the lesson would move into the drama area so the students could breathe while rehearsing, because he had to stand so they could get the door open.

Two of my afternoon Y9s unfortunately took the gloss off the proceedings for me by deciding to have a fight in my lesson after dinner. One ****** nose and some swearing later I ended up having to drag them apart and send for the acting head. This man is described in the staffroom as "the best head the school has never had" and with good reason. Sadly, he's retiring next year. I'll miss him.

Why am I telling you all this? I've got to tell someone. I've never had this much excitement in one day before.
    Solo Eb Bass The Eagley Band, Recent Compo, occasional stick-wagger and Tune Assoc. Leader and General Good Egg.
    -------------------------------------
    Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.
    Puppy juggler wannabe

I bet you need to have a lie down with all that adrenalin flying around you now!! Sounds like a great day had by all !!!
    Karen - 1st Horn
    www.stainesbrass.co.uk
    Booyakasha!!Booyakasha

Oh, and BTW, I also got a P45 when I got home
    Solo Eb Bass The Eagley Band, Recent Compo, occasional stick-wagger and Tune Assoc. Leader and General Good Egg.
    Puppy juggler wannabe

tMP Posting Freak!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelyons
    Oh, and BTW, I also got a P45 when I got home
    pardon me for being thick...

but whats a p45?
    Percussionist- National Youth Wind Orchestra of Great Britain 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 (Prinicipal)
    Percussionist- European Youth Brass Band 2007 (Principal)
    Percussionist- Yorkshire Imps (Principal- For my sins)

It's what you get when you are sacked - but don't worry you also get one when you finish work for any reason. This one is from when I quit working for Wigan Tech a year ago.
    Puppy juggler wannabe

tMP Posting Freak!!! DublinBass's Avatar
    Sounds like a typical day as a teacher
    Eb Bass
    Dublin Community Bands
    http://www.facebook.com/DublinBands

tMP Senior Friend
    Particularly if Y9 are involved.
    grrrrrrr.........?

tMP Posting Freak!!! DublinBass's Avatar
    Lol!!
    Eb Bass
    Dublin Community Bands
    http://www.facebook.com/DublinBands

I'm sorry to dissapoint you guys, but in 16 years in this school it's the only ****** nose I've ever had to put up with (apart from normal nose bleeds). This kind of thing is rare in my school - or was.
    Puppy juggler wannabe