Thread: Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 HELP!!

Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 HELP!!

is there anyone who can help me with analyising The first movement "allegro" of the brandenberg concerto No.2 in f major ???

any help is appreciated

Are you trying to analyse from a harmonic point of view, or from the performer's perspective?
    The simple analysis from the performer's point of view is - unless you have a superb high register, don't even bother - you will be too loud

Somewhere I have got a simple analysis of the first movement, but it is in the depths of my old university work. If it will help, I can try to find it (no promises though - I haven't looked at those for some time). Or if you want some information about it from a player's point of view, please feel free to contact me - I have played this piece a number of times and know it rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetmike
    Are you trying to analyse from a harmonic point of view, or from the performer's perspective?
    The simple analysis from the performer's point of view is - unless you have a superb high register, don't even bother - you will be too loud

Somewhere I have got a simple analysis of the first movement, but it is in the depths of my old university work. If it will help, I can try to find it (no promises though - I haven't looked at those for some time). Or if you want some information about it from a player's point of view, please feel free to contact me - I have played this piece a number of times and know it rather well.
    I'm anaylsis from a harmonic points of view. The whole class has been breaking the piece down in "ritornello" sections and "solo sections". Because i'm new to "music styles" , i find that i'm struggling alot. Any help would be apreciated

*Jen*

Brandenburg No2

A good starting point is a book called "Analyses of Musical Classics" Book 4. by Annie O.Warburton. published by Longmans. This was the standard "o" level text analysis we used as a starting point when I was teaching.

i think i did this for A level. Ritornello basically means a repeating idea. The solo sections will be inbetween these sections. Its quite simple its like ABACADAEAFAG and so on. The harmony probably isn't that involved.Probably just the main three chords and possibly a cycle of fifths trown in for good measure.
    yeah well....chill out

solo horn, the fairey band

tMP Senior Friend
    Acctually bach harmony was quite involved!!! Paticularly in this work where if i remember rightly he even went to some completely unrelated keys and not just fringe chords like the sub-dominants relative minor!