• Cookies

We use cookies in relation to certain areas of theMouthPiece website. Cookies are files which store information on your hard drive or browser which means that we can recognise that you have visited the Site before. Cookies can make it easier for you to maintain your preferences on the Site.

We use several types of cookie:
    • Login session cookie: When you log in to the site, we set a cookie to remember your login status. This cookie is deleted from your computer when you log out of the website, or close down your browser.
    • Persistent login cookie: When you log in, if you tick the 'remember me' box, we set a persistent cookie so that next time you visit the website, we can automatically log you in.
    • Functional cookies: the vBulletin software sets certain cookies to enhance the user experience and to remember various settings.

You can, should you choose, disable the cookies from your browser and delete all cookies currently stored on your computer. If you do this, you will not be able to log in to the site, and you will experience much reduced functionality.

By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies.
  • Recent Activity Widget

Feel My Rath

Bone players - covering bass parts on a tenor. HELP!

Thread Starter: Feel My Rath

As a play in a small band I'm sometimes required to put in either a bass bone part or sometimes even a tuba part. Now I currently play a Rath R4F with a Bach 5GS. Will a smaller bass mouthpiece work for a slightly fuller lower register? I'm not thinking a huge size, maybe something like a Wick 2AL...

Last Post By: 2nd tenor Yesterday, 20:54 Go to last post
    MoominDave

The perfect test piece

Thread Starter: MoominDave

What makes the perfect test piece? What test pieces have you loved playing, and why? What test pieces have you hated playing, and why? What things in a piece turn you off it? Are there pieces that you've taken for or against straight away, but then changed your mind on as rehearsals have...

Last Post By: markh Yesterday, 19:28 Go to last post
    mark_euph

Boosey & Hawkes (Besson) Round Stamp Euphonium

Thread Starter: mark_euph

Hi guys, I am looking for honest and fair valuations for the Euphonium. It's serial number is 655673 for anyone who wants to search for it. I'll attach a few photos of the instrument. It's older than me and has had some good use over the years, but unfortunately due to dwindling numbers and the...

Last Post By: mark_euph Yesterday, 17:32 Go to last post
    Mr N N Fixer

Be cruel to be kind.

Thread Starter: Mr N N Fixer

You hear some funny stories relating to incidents that take place, sometimes in rehearsals and sometimes on stage, in concerts and in contests. I heard a good one the other day about some old guy who's trombone slide ended up half way across the band room. He obviously got a bit too excited about...

Last Post By: Bbmad Yesterday, 16:12 Go to last post
    DS2014

Breathing Devices - opinions

Thread Starter: DS2014

Hi all, have been doing a bit of reading recently about Arnold Jacobs and his teachings about breathing and air support. His innovation in teaching, it seems, was to introduce breathing devices into his teaching methods and into the practice routines of his students. Does anyone have any...

Last Post By: 2nd tenor Yesterday, 16:09 Go to last post
  • Recent Forum Posts

x9ret

Irish reel arrangement for brass band: The Wise Maid

Looking for something Irish and new for your St Patrick's day concert? How about my fun yet challenging arrangement of "The Wise Maid", which

x9ret Yesterday, 22:42 Go to last post
    Matlock Band

Matlock Band

Matlock Band (Midlands 3rd Section, M.D. Geoff Hawley) require the following players; Cornet (front or back row) Bb bass and Tuned Percussion
    Please

Matlock Band Yesterday, 22:26 Go to last post
    2nd tenor

Bone players - covering bass parts on a tenor. HELP!

By chance I came across a device that can quickly shift the F trigger's slide to E and then back to F using a thumb control, the device makes (I am told)

2nd tenor Yesterday, 20:54 Go to last post
    markh

The perfect test piece

It also depends who the ultimate end user is. If it is the perfect test piece for the adjudicator to rank the bands, then it needs the usual exposed bits,

markh Yesterday, 19:28 Go to last post
    Anno Draconis

The perfect test piece

I'm tempted to argue that it's impossible, given the compromises required. In some ways, Contest Music fits the bill for me, because not only is it an

Anno Draconis Yesterday, 19:18 Go to last post