PDA

View Full Version : Waddingtons/Yorkshire Relish - where are they now?

rutty
13.05.2003, 12:56
Many years ago I played with the Junior band of Waddingtons Brass, you know, the board game people, in or about Leeds. I was in single figures at the time (6 or 7) so I can't rightly remember exactly where it was (Tingley?)

Anyway, they lost that sponsorship and became Yorkshire Relish - and I moved on at this point (late 70s - God I fel old!)

I just wondered what happened to this band? Neither exists on the excellent Harrogate site, so I assume that they're either called something else, or no longer exist.

Any info is for interest only - I can only remember one person from there and he's dead sadly (Jack Parish). I'm sure that someone knows something about it....

rutty
13.05.2003, 13:01
Found it:

http://www.yepb.contactbox.co.uk/yepband.htm

Yorkshire Evening Post - Harrogate site reckons that they're defunct now but the site is still up.

daisygemma
13.05.2003, 13:37
They are defunct!

Last year they tried to merge with a band called Sharleston(I think thats how you spell it!) but it all went wrong.

I don't know that ins and outs just that they are no more!

Straightmute
13.05.2003, 14:00
They are defunct!

Last year they tried to merge with a band called Sharleston(I think thats how you spell it!) but it all went wrong.

I don't know that ins and outs just that they are no more!

Correct - Yorkshire Evening Post (as they became) were short of players for several years before the merger with Sharleston, a band in a similar position from the south of Leeds. Even with the combined forces they struggled to attract a full band and sadly decided to disband last year.

Apparently there is a group of former members trying to maintain a small ensemble but I'm not sure how successful they've been.

I'm still in touch with some of their players and can forward any enquiries about the band.

D

Owen
14.05.2003, 08:16
I am a former member of Yorkshire Evening Post. You could see the changes of the band name over the years by the name stamps on the music. They were also called Leeds Model Band at some point in their history...

Anyway - they are still very much alive as a 10 piece outfit, which because it is non-contesting has attracted back some of the players that had gone to other bands. I believe that they still retain the sponsorship from YEP and they still perform gigs. Paul Leonard, who many will know, has recently clocked up 40 years with the organisation and is still involved both as a player and organiser.

rutty
14.05.2003, 08:45
It's good to know that they're still going in some form or other. I'm afraid I was too young to remember anyone at the time and I shouldn't think that Paul would remember me. I've changed a bit since then ;)

iancwilx
14.05.2003, 14:31
This band was originally Leeds Model Band (Founded 1857) and I started my playing days with them in 1961 just as Harry Tompkins resigned as MD and Peter Kitson took over (His first post as MD).
We had a very successful period under Peter.
The Band later became Cameron Ironworks Band and then Waddingtons etc etc and ended up as is stated as Yorkshire Post (Sharleston) Band.
I have a few old band photo's of "The Model"
Jack Parish was a great guy and a terrific Bandsman.
To show how old I am - it was me who took Paul Leonard down to join the band 40 years ago - he is one year younger than me and we went to the same school together.

Steve Hyde
12.03.2010, 19:15
This band was originally Leeds Model Band (Founded 1857) and I started my playing days with them in 1961 just as Harry Tompkins resigned as MD and Peter Kitson took over (His first post as MD).
We had a very successful period under Peter.
The Band later became Cameron Ironworks Band and then Waddingtons etc etc and ended up as is stated as Yorkshire Post (Sharleston) Band.
I have a few old band photo's of "The Model"
Jack Parish was a great guy and a terrific Bandsman.
To show how old I am - it was me who took Paul Leonard down to join the band 40 years ago - he is one year younger than me and we went to the same school together.
I played baritone and then euphonium from 1966 to 1969. I remember quite a few of the members very well. Did 'The Moor of Venice' very well at contest. Fond recall of Norman Kilvington an ACE DRINKER and tried to mlodel him but to no avail. Also remember Tommy Chatterton, Syd Osbourne, Jack Parish, Paul Leonard and old Walter very well. He insisted on wearing his band cap when nobody else would.

steve butler
12.03.2010, 21:42
I did several rehearsals and a number of gigs with YEP 10 piece last year, they are a wonderful group of players and peeps. The repertoire is very varied, the standard excellent and there's always a warm welcome.
I've also played with iancwilx a few times - but thats several other stories :D

iancwilx
12.03.2010, 22:32
I did several rehearsals and a number of gigs with YEP 10 piece last year, they are a wonderful group of players and peeps. The repertoire is very varied, the standard excellent and there's always a warm welcome.
I've also played with iancwilx a few times - but thats several other stories :D

Yes, YEP Brass (10 piece) are a very fine group of musicians whose lineage stems from Leeds Model Band.

Yes Steve we enjoyed eight years of finely honed musical co-operation and understanding - a sadly unappreciated "Dream Team"
Fabulous stories many of which we can't relate on here eh Old Mate !!

- Mr Wilx

killer
12.03.2010, 23:15
I still have mi Yorkshire Relish jumper in mi wardrobe. think i may put it on ebay, bet its worth a bob or two now :)