PDA

View Full Version : Masters

SoloBaritone
11.05.2003, 18:30
Who's going to the Masters? I know most of the people off here that'll be going and playing; Aidan, Chris, Richard etc but who's going and not playing?

I'll be there not playing, my first time in 3 years I haven't done it :cry:

You'll probably see me in the bar at 11 because there's no way I'm listening to about 20 performances of Chivalry!! I'll probably listen to Imps, Frickley and Sellers.

Jayne

PS. It's my 20th birthday, woohoo!!! Richard, you can twist my arm and buy me a pint again! :wink:

Mark Bousie
11.05.2003, 20:07
Hi Jayne,

You can have quite a few drinks on Sellers' behalf cos we're doing the concert (along with Leyland) before the results.No doubt we'll draw really early then! Should be a good day though. Chivalry's growing on me (slightly!).
See ya there.

Mark

SoloBaritone
11.05.2003, 21:03
Hiya Mark!

Chivalry's not bad, just really cheesey! I've played it a couple of times with Imps, not much in for bari's but it's a right blow for horns. Suppose it's better than some of the test pieces over the last year.

Don't worry I'll have a few for you! I'm gutted you's are doing that concert because I'll probably hardly see Wee Kay; contests aren't the same without her getting drunk and having a Scottish rant!

It's pants the results are after the concert, I don't think it'll encourage people to come and listen, it'll encourage people to drink even more. At least it means most bands will stay over on the Sunday night so it should be a good day.

Jayne

AndyCat
11.05.2003, 23:24
I'll be there with Faireys, trying a couple, but I know the results after the concert isn't making us stay over, and I know a couple of other bands going straight back.

AndyCat.

midwalesman
12.05.2003, 00:14
Was that message addressed to me ? Or one of the many Riches on this forum. Anyway, I will buy a pint if I'm not too drunk after we get drawn no.1 again!!

WorldofBrass.com
12.05.2003, 09:06
The 'World of Brass' trade stand will be there!
We'll have a new solo CD from Russell Gray, accompanied by Fodens Richardson Band.
Further details of this release later.

Sueee
12.05.2003, 16:59
I'l be there as u know Jayne, can't believe we can't drink!! :evil: don't know which is worse, early draw or late draw :? oh well!

Cya all there 8)

Sue :wink:

Aidan
12.05.2003, 18:41
haha gutted :P :P

SoloBaritone
12.05.2003, 19:51
It can be addressed to you if you buy me a pint Richard! It was for Richard from Frickley because he bought me a pint last year for my birthday, such a nice man!

Never mind Sue, I'm sure it'll be a fun day anyway. I love the Masters, I've got some great memories.

Jayne

Darth_Tuba
12.05.2003, 21:53
Late draw is miles better Sue... mainly because we'll know the night before what sector we're in and stay in bed! Last on would be ideal... get all the playing done with and get ****ed on the bus! Best. What are you guys doing in the concert? Any ideas yet?

Jayne... I'm disappointed Leyland aren't in your list of bands to listen to. You won't be getting birthday beer off me unless you have a listen ;)

sudcornet
13.05.2003, 15:52
Jayne has to listen to us, (or at least pretend she did and then say how good she thought it was) or Lee would kick her a**e.
Sud.
p.s. I'll get you a pint Jayne......I can vaguely remember 20 myself...or it could have been 19 ....or 21.....I disremember now.

Sueee
13.05.2003, 17:10
Late draw is miles better Sue... mainly because we'll know the night before what sector we're in and stay in bed! Last on would be ideal... get all the playing done with and get *beep* on the bus! Best. What are you guys doing in the concert? Any ideas yet?

Jayne... I'm disappointed Leyland aren't in your list of bands to listen to. You won't be getting birthday beer off me unless you have a listen ;)

v true had not thought of it like that!

:wink:

twigglet
13.05.2003, 17:22
I might go along just for the fun of it, to get aled and listen to some bands (note the order of priority!)

Darth_Tuba
14.05.2003, 12:29
Just a note to say that my previous message where it said "get *beeped* on the bus" it was a reference to getting drunk and not something deviant. Mind you.... :twisted:

Sueee
14.05.2003, 17:35
Just a note to say that my previous message where it said "get *beeped* on the bus" it was a reference to getting drunk and not something deviant. Mind you.... :twisted:

mwahahahaha :shock: CHRIS! :roll: :wink:

iggmeister
15.05.2003, 14:08
I think its a bit **** that the start of the contest is being delayed until 12:00 noon. It's fine for bands that can travel to Cambridge in a couple of hours but those bands that have further to travel are stuffed. Our journey is likely to take at least 6 hours. We had only booked rooms for the saturday night on the basis that the contest would finish early. With a later start time we wont get home until the early hours of Monday morning.

I also saw that the lowest priced tickets for the general public is 14! With the greatest respect to the organisers, who is going to want to pay 14 to listen to a brass band contest. I know it includes the gala concert but not everybody will want to listen to that. I have a funny feeling that it may be a sparse audience. However, I sincerely hope that I am wrong.

What do others think?

Igg

satchmo shaz
15.05.2003, 14:40
blimey!! 14 quid is a tad expensive int it :shock:

strongbow
15.05.2003, 16:12
Posted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:08 pm Post subject:
The following was posted by Iggmeister

I think its a bit *beep* that the start of the contest is being delayed until 12:00 noon. It's fine for bands that can travel to Cambridge in a couple of hours but those bands that have further to travel are stuffed.

We are travelling there and back on the day (4 hours each way) due to the start being 12 noon. This 'delayed' time has allowed non sponsored bands like us to reduce costs by not incurring extra charges for the coach on an overnight stay. I don't know why you call it a delayed start as we always knew that it was 12 noon kick off, this was sent with the original information from the contest controllers.

On the subject of ticket prices, I can't speak for this year but in previous years the price of tickets haven't put the audience off buying tickets as it has been a sell out.

Darth_Tuba
15.05.2003, 18:05
I seem to remember hearing about the new start time last year. Big improvement for us because we can save on staying over the night before. Plus, it's bank holiday weekend anyway, so I'm not too fussed with a late arrival back home. Interesting how the ticket prices keep going up and up and yet the prize money stays more or less the same. Someone somewhere is cashing in... and it certainly isn't the bands!

iggmeister
15.05.2003, 21:30
We are travelling there and back on the day (4 hours each way) due to the start being 12 noon. This 'delayed' time has allowed non sponsored bands like us to reduce costs by not incurring extra charges for the coach on an overnight stay. I don't know why you call it a delayed start as we always knew that it was 12 noon kick off, this was sent with the original information from the contest controllers.

On the subject of ticket prices, I can't speak for this year but in previous years the price of tickets haven't put the audience off buying tickets as it has been a sell out.

You are correct. I know that the organisers said taht it would be 12:00 noon from the outset. As organisers, Messrs Biggs & Franklin are certainly efficient.

When I said delayed start, perhaps I should have referred to it as a new start time. However, I would point out that even sponsored bands have to pay towards band trips, you know. I certainly have to each and every time.

It may well be a sell out but over the last couple of years I have been in and heard a few of the favourites last year and I wouldn't say that they had a capacity audiences- indeed far from it. As one of my band's organisers, I can say with certainty that the cost of this weekend generally puts a lot of our usual travelling supporters off. After all, each band can only get 10 concessionary rate tickets and even they are 7 each.

Igg

PS My *Beep* was similar to 'carp'. Didn't know the mouthpiece was so sensitive!

euphemism
16.05.2003, 13:07
mmmmm 14.....

what else can you do for 14 tho....how much to see a football match - let alone one with most of the best represented (as the Masters is)....must be that for a 1st division match.

If it was cheaper would you get more ? (aarrrrrgghhh - it's the accountant in me trying to get out).

Anyhow - managed to get a 7 ticket through pre-booking (that'll be the accountant in me again !!)

So - Maybe we have to see if it was worth it......

:shock:

SoloBaritone
16.05.2003, 15:13
Sorry Chris how could I forget about you boys! I don't think I can cope listening to all those bands, I'll turn into a right BOC! And at 14 a ticket, I might have to give it a miss!

Jayne

Darth_Tuba
16.05.2003, 16:08
That's ok Jayne I don't blame you. I don't think I'd be listening to anyone else either!

Straightmute
16.05.2003, 16:29
Sorry Chris how could I forget about you boys! I don't think I can cope listening to all those bands, I'll turn into a right BOC! And at 14 a ticket, I might have to give it a miss!

Jayne

But how much are you planning to spend on booze? At Cambridge prices you'll not get under the table for less than 25 quid minimum, not that they have tables in the Red Cow. More like 50 if you go with a bunch of Yorkshiremen. I'm going to save money and buy a ticket. So get practicing please.

D

supersplit
16.05.2003, 21:17
Speaking as a London brass bander The Masters is fantastic oppurtunity for us to play against the good and the great (WE ARE NOT WORTHY POSE) and long may it continue to attract those from up North! :D

To balance things out we have to make the pilgrimage to Blackpool every year until we make it to Birmigham! (fingers, toes and other assorted appendages crossed) :wink:

Good Luck to everyone at Cambridge!
:guiness

SoloBaritone
17.05.2003, 14:51
It's always the way though at contests, drink prices are stupid. But it's always fallen on the weekend of my birthday so I've been lucky.

I really don't want to pay 14 just to listen to a couple of bands. I might find some nice person that'll lend me theirs so I can listen to Imps at least.

Jayne

sudcornet
17.05.2003, 16:07
I might find some nice person that'll lend me theirs so I can listen to Imps at least.

Naughty, Naughty Jayne....but at least for all the right reasons.
Sud.

SoloBaritone
19.05.2003, 10:46
I've got to listen to you's, you're like my second band!

Jayne

yorkie19
19.05.2003, 23:49
I've got to listen to you's, you're like my second band!

Jayne

We wouldn't have it any other way Jayne! :wink:

Sam

SoloBaritone
20.05.2003, 13:30
Aww, thanks!!

Jayne

Sellers_Bird
20.05.2003, 14:49
and what about me jayney???..... i thought i was your first girlfriend????? *insulted now* surely that contends for you to listen to me too???

SoloBaritone
22.05.2003, 12:18
Haway everyone!! Is this it that's going on Sunday?????

Jayne

SoloBaritone
22.05.2003, 13:29
Sorry Anna!! Doesn't look like I'll be listening to anyone now :(

I'm going to go to an Imps rehearsal but I think that's the best I can do at 14 a ticket!

Jayne

Sellers_Bird
22.05.2003, 13:40
:( :( :( :( :( :( THATS WELL POO! but then again for 14 quid a ticket u would expect bed and breakfast too.... scandalous! :?

Keppler
22.05.2003, 14:14
you should see the prices on the tickets for the Europeans.... ouch

PeterBale
22.05.2003, 15:35

The question of ticket-pricing is always going to be a thorny one, and I think particularly so for those actually taking part in the contest. If I go to a contest I would expect to sit through the majority of the performances, maybe missing at the most three or four. That being the case, I do not feel that I would quibble too much at paying those sort of prices, particularly with the concert at the end of the day included. If we are happy enough to pay out 6 or so for 3 hours in the cinema, or 20 or more for a seat at a show in the theatre, never mind the amounts people fork out to sit out in all weathers watching men kicking a football about (of either shape!), then I don't feel the pricing is excessive.

I do think, however, that there should be consideration given to concessionary prices for those competing. By the nature of things, whether or not they want to listen to their competitors, they will be prevented from doing so by the needs of rehearsal, warming up, registration etc. I realise that Cambridge is rather unique in that I understand space is at a premium, but most contest venues have spare capacity and I'm sure that something of the sort would be beneficial.

sudcornet
22.05.2003, 15:52
There are concessionary tickets available to the competing bands...ours came through on Tuesday. I'm not sure Lee remembered to order one for Jayne tho'.....(Boy is he going to be in trouble).
I've heard that the tickets will be 17 on the day......if true, that really is getting steep.
Sud.

andy;-)
24.05.2003, 18:57

But then a pint of proper beer in Bergen was upwards of 8 :!: :!: - even the cheap local lager was over 4 :!: :!:. Hopefully Glasgow will be a bit more forgiving to the pocket.............

andy;-)
24.05.2003, 19:02
:( :( :( :( :( :( THATS WELL POO! but then again for 14 quid a ticket u would expect bed and breakfast too.... scandalous! :?

Guess that depends on whether Lee's paid for the hotel yet....could be sleeping in the coach Sunday night hey Jayne.... :dunno

Keppler
24.05.2003, 19:28

But then a pint of proper beer in Bergen was upwards of 8 :!: :!: - even the cheap local lager was over 4 :!: :!:. Hopefully Glasgow will be a bit more forgiving to the pocket.............

hehe.. we found a place that was quite "reasonable"... about 4 euro a pint. Then we realised it was "happy hour". Don't think too many people were happy..

SoloBaritone
24.05.2003, 20:53
I gave Alan the money for the hotel tonight, there's no way I'm buying a ticket now!

Jayne

yorkie19
24.05.2003, 20:57

Glad to see another member of the Imps family joins the fun! :lol: We'll be challenging Wem soon for most members!

Sam

Roger Thorne
24.05.2003, 21:35
Glad to see another member of the Imps family joins the fun! :lol: We'll be challenging Wem soon for most members!

The Mouthpiece.com - Press Release

The lastest headlines to hit the banding world
is Wem Jubilee Band have whooped Yorkshire
Imps in the latest contest battle. :shock:

The Wem contingent currently stands at 18 members.
:lol:

How many members have Imps got?

andy;-)
24.05.2003, 21:50
hehe.. we found a place that was quite "reasonable"... about 4 euro a pint. Then we realised it was "happy hour". Don't think too many people were happy..

Happy hour?? didn't you listen to the other bands :?: :?:

Keppler
24.05.2003, 21:54
this was Sunday - I think....
anyway - what was this topic again?

sudcornet
25.05.2003, 06:59
Back on topic...I think.....Good Luck for today everybody....esp. those poor b****rs who have to play the gala concert and won't get a pint.....ne'mind, we'll have yours for you...hehe. :guiness
Sud.

SoloBaritone
30.05.2003, 10:13
Well done to the Leyland boys!! Sorry Warder and Chris, I was in my own little world when I saw you both and I totally forgot you'd just won, duh!! All I remember is showing you my birthday trainers!

Jayne

Brassbones
30.05.2003, 12:43
Well done to the Leyland boys!! Sorry Warder and Chris, I was in my own little world when I saw you both and I totally forgot you'd just won, duh!! All I remember is showing you my birthday trainers!

Jayne

Ta Jayne!!!! :)

I forgot to buy ya a drink! AGAIN!!! :O

PeterBale
30.05.2003, 13:19
While we're busy praising Leyland, I should like to say how impressed I was with the band when they played for the conducting competition at the Europeans in Birmingham a couple of years ago. I know it's a long time back, but I've not had the chance to put anything on record until now.

During the Friday evening they had to play 3 full test pieces, together with one movement of Dances and Arias 3 times, together with a short concert programme. Such an evening would have tested any band to the limit, but they showed tremendous stamina, giving their all for all three competitors. They closed the evening with the Coronation Scene from Boris Godunov, which isn't exactly an easy blow after all that had gone before. I don't know how many of that band are still with you now, but thank you for happy memories of an exciting evening.

Brassbones
31.05.2003, 14:22
While we're busy praising Leyland, I should like to say how impressed I was with the band when they played for the conducting competition at the Europeans in Birmingham a couple of years ago. I know it's a long time back, but I've not had the chance to put anything on record until now.

During the Friday evening they had to play 3 full test pieces, together with one movement of Dances and Arias 3 times, together with a short concert programme. Such an evening would have tested any band to the limit, but they showed tremendous stamina, giving their all for all three competitors. They closed the evening with the Coronation Scene from Boris Godunov, which isn't exactly an easy blow after all that had gone before. I don't know how many of that band are still with you now, but thank you for happy memories of an exciting evening.

Cheers Peter!! I was there! Thank God I was playing bass bone and not sop that day!!!

Wonder what happened to the Spanish guy that won? He was very good!