PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations YBS!

dyl
03.05.2003, 23:57
Fifth European title in a row - that's some feat - their 7th title in all, and the 9th for their MD, David King.

I'd also like to congratulate a couple of ex-members of my band, Iwan Williams on Flugel, and Gavin Saynor on Eb Bass who won the best soloist prize.

We at Deiniolen feel extremely proud to see our ex-members go on to do so well, and please forgive me for a bit of family bias, but I'd personally like to congratulate my brother-in-law, Gavin for his prize - da iawn Gav!

Congratulations also to BAYV Cory who I gather, pushed YBS all the way.

Sueee
04.05.2003, 14:40
Yes well done!! I knew they'd do it though 8),

well done Gav!! I'm well chuffed for ya... (dont know if u come on this site though?) hehe but I'l say it anyway :? hehe

:D

dyl
05.05.2003, 00:39
He doesn't come on here - but I'll pass on your message to him.

Moy
05.05.2003, 07:05
Yeh I agree with everyone else so far.
Very well done YBS and David King - what a band and what a conductor.
I am so looking forward to the European next year - we lucky Scots.

floral_dance
05.05.2003, 13:26
Well done YBS, I agree that it will be great to have the competition here in GLasgow, so glad I only stay 6 miles from the venue.

impycornet
05.05.2003, 15:05
Contratulations to all at YBS for their European win.

Also well done to BAYV for the closest 2nd place possible

Sueee
06.05.2003, 11:06
He doesn't come on here - but I'll pass on your message to him.

IckleSop
06.05.2003, 11:07
Yeah Well done YBS!!!

PeterBale
06.05.2003, 12:10
Well done indeed to YBS, and to Cory for making it such a close-run contest. Both bands seem very comfortable with the contemporary works that have tended to be set for the European, and the oportunity to select an Own Choice piece to enable them to play to their strengths obviously suits them.

It is interesting to note that both YBS and Willebroek used the same Own Choice pieces this year that had brought them success last time round. Whilst not wanting to take anything away from their considerable achievement, I have just been reading in one of the books chronicling the early history of banding, where contest rules were changed to prevent bands constantly winning every competition with the same work - this was at a time when most contests were Own Choice. Do people feel there is a case for a similar rule to be introduced for the European today?

Whilst with congratulations, we must not forget our own Keppler, must we?

sparkling_quavers
06.05.2003, 16:52
Whilst with congratulations, we must not forget our own Keppler, must we?

yeah definately not.....well done Neal (2nd in the 1st section at the Europeans!)

Keppler
06.05.2003, 17:05
:oops:
Thanks for the thoughts guys, I'll pass them onto the gang below. They're certainly satisfied with the result, thinking it an improvement on last year's runner up spot. Next time, might even go one better.
I certainly enjoyed my weekend, from enjoying the Norwegian rain (at a different angle to our own Irish rain) to a mad session at 4 am with Willebroek (Belgians) in a hotel lobby and a piano..

Sadly, I missed much of the contest, being in the process of scrambling up a mountain at the time (non-brass band company) Congratulations of course to YBS and Cory for some great playing, but also to Willebroek, and the ever impressive Stavanger. Also well done to the Norwegian Brass Band Association, cos we were made feel right comfy, and the whole thing ran like clockwork.

Caught the European Youth Brass on Sunday, any tMPers in there?

Roll on Glasgow 2004
(A very tired Kepps)

dyl
06.05.2003, 17:06
Congrats Keppler! Nice one!

Sueee
06.05.2003, 17:17
nice 1 keppler!! getin :D I'l b there in Glasgow next year :D