PDA

View Full Version : What did you start on?

WhatSharp?
02.05.2003, 07:05
My Son (8 years old) had started playing Cornet about 5 weeks ago, however he found it extremely hard going to get a note out of it. Just for the hell of it I borrowed one of the bands rather battered marching tuba's and he can play that really well, he seemed to take to it like a Duck to water. So it looks like I'll have to start saving... :(

I started on trumpet, switch briefly cornet after about a year (when I started playing with the school band) and then onto Sop.

What about all you folks out there?

PeterBale
02.05.2003, 08:01
Started on a tenor horn that was in the school music room (apart from a bit of messing around on my sister's trumpet a few years before). Went to band practice Thursday night and found myself playing with the band on the bandstand in Wolverhampton at the weekend. Moved to baritone then bass trombone, and in due course onto bass, where I now mostly play BBb.

Fishsta
02.05.2003, 08:16
I know you've seen this before... but I started on Tenor Horn...

http://www.fishsta.co.uk/yian08.jpg

Then moved to Baritone, and then Trombone.

Finally, when I went to Lostock Hall, I went on Euphonium, but still enjoy playing Trombone when I get the chance.

Heather
02.05.2003, 09:32
Fishta....you were so cute!.......what happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I started on Baritone when I was 11 years old at High School and have been on it ever since.
I did have a yearning many years ago to play Flugel but that never materialised.

geordiecolin
02.05.2003, 09:44
I started on a very old and battered junk shop trumpet, before moving onto cornet which i played until i was 16. Then I moved onto Bass cos i got bored!!!

Lisa
02.05.2003, 10:15
I started playing on a flugel in our junior band when I was 9. When I moved into the main band I was put on third cornet. I felt self-conscious of the fact that I sounded different to everyone else so asked to go onto cornet. :? Hmmm, I kinda regretted that later on as the flugel's a lovely instrument but on the other hand, if I played flugel I would miss all the fast, bright tuney stuff that we get!

Btw, that picture is sooo cute :wink:

BoozyBTrom
02.05.2003, 10:31
I am a one instrument man. Learnt to play the trombone straight off. and was taught in bass clef. Only taught myself to read treble clef in the last 6 months

Sad Eh!!!!

super_sop
02.05.2003, 11:07
I started on cornet, 1 of my dads mates said if i could blow a note on his olds ambasador cornet i could keep it.I could and i still have it to this day, although its a little worse for ware now. i just havent got the heart to get rid of it

yorkie19
02.05.2003, 11:09
My first instrument was Sop, with the SW16 Youth Band, and I steadily moved down the band to arrive at Bb bass.

Sam

Roger Thorne
02.05.2003, 11:25
Same as me Yorkie, but I've moved down a bit further - played percussion and then became MD!

:wink:

PeterBale
02.05.2003, 11:36
Same as me Yorkie, but I've moved down a bit further - played percussion and then became MD!

You'll be after Simon Rattle's job in Berlin next :!:

Roger Thorne
02.05.2003, 11:42
Nice One Peter :lol:

groovy
02.05.2003, 11:46
I started on a trumpet, played that for about a year and a half. Then a few months on flugel (but I was playing cornet parts in a primary school brass band.) Next I played euph, with a little shot of baritone occasionally, been playing euph for 2 years and am now picking up trombone as well. :)

Roger Thorne
02.05.2003, 11:51
It sounds like your on the same slippery slope as me and Yorkie.

:lol:

asteria
02.05.2003, 11:56
There were only 2 instruments left when i started learning at school - euph and horn. I was too small to carry the euph.....
I've been on horn ever since! :D

Helen

You wanna blow my what?
02.05.2003, 11:58
First band rehearsal I went to, they taught me how to buzz on a mouthpiece & then gave me a cornet, and then as I was going home, they gave me a tenor horn! scary!

WhatSharp?
02.05.2003, 12:02
No born and bred Euph players yet then...... I wonder if this means something..... :?

stephen2001
02.05.2003, 12:06
Started off playing a Tenor Horn aged 11 that my Auntie gave me when she bought a new one for herself and joined the local brass band.
After a year of banding, moved onto Baritione and a year later moved onto Euph.
Went back to Baritione for a bit longer and during that time, I got bought a Euphonium by my parents and then taught myself Trombone.
I finished playing Bari halfway though my A Levels when I left my 1st band, mainly due to lack of time.
Now, I also occasionally play Eb Bass as well as Trombone and Euphonium :?

groovy
02.05.2003, 12:20
It sounds like your on the same slippery slope as me and Yorkie.

:lol:

Nooooooooo...........

Well, the one and only bass player at my school will be leaving next year, and I expect I will inherit his post. :shock:

Mr Smiler
02.05.2003, 13:29
I started on cornet at 8 years old and moved onto euph when I was 13 and had a "double train-track" set of braces on my teeth. More out of necessity than choice.

Now I conduct my own band but play all sorts of other things in my local SA band - within the last few weeks I've played euph, horn, baritone, trombone, Eb and Bb basses!

How effectively I've played any of them is open to interpretation (why are all those people leaving...???)

spookybiking
02.05.2003, 13:34
i only started on baritone cause they did have any, but i kept playing my mums horn and progressed better on that then went onto horn. moved band a while back and now my mums on 3rd cornet :lol:

PeterBale
02.05.2003, 13:37
Now I conduct my own band but play all sorts of other things in my local SA band - within the last few weeks I've played euph, horn, baritone, trombone, Eb and Bb basses!

Oh, the joys of playing in a small band! When I first came to The Salvation Army at Balham in south London, our band never had more than 15 players, and often we were down to 9 or 10. It was something really special when we had a visit from a band with a real soprano, flugel and bass trombone.

Daniel Sheard
02.05.2003, 14:12
Trombone all the way through. Why would anyone want to play anything else? It's so versatile.

Daniel Sheard
Northop Silver, North Wales

picju96
02.05.2003, 14:58
I was given a cornet for about 6 months then played trumpet for 7 years now play trumpet and cornet (which our md is not happy about just before contests) and i love playing horn.

sparkling_quavers
02.05.2003, 16:43
I started on Cornet and then went to Flugel but now am back on Cornet again :cry:

Highams
02.05.2003, 16:44
Started on baritone, a dreadful instrument that would not blow properley, and was on the verge of giving up, when I was given a euphonium.

A Hawkes Excelsior Sonorous Class A. I've been smiling ever since.

And here it is............
http://www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk/LSB2.jpg

HBB
02.05.2003, 17:12
As I was in the BB, I started on Bugal (really wanting to play Bell Lyre! :x), and got really good at that ..... so I tried my mums long cornet (really nice ... silverplating and gold etc....) ... and found it really nice .. so started at a training band (I had NO IDEA how to use the valves :shock:). So ... after getting the basics (the training band folded :cry:) I sat on 3rd cornet.

So ....... at a concert they had no 2nd cornets and the 3rds didn't want to play it ... so I played it! :D ...... and then started tinkering on Rep (when the rep player wasn't there ... but not loud enough for the MD to hear :P) .... and then they were stuck for a sop in switzerland ... so ... guess what .... I played that .... and got promoted to the front row (my 1st contest being A London Overture :S ahhhhhh methinks!) ..........

and I'm stuck there! ....... but my 1st love is definately the horn ... I love it and they get all the really nice flowing countermelodies (exluding all marches except the cossack :D) ......... so I'm gonna hopefully stay on horn :S :shock:

Wow!!!!!! this has got to be the longest post I've made on here :shock: ........... (Wish me luck on my Grade 7 Piano :? ....... Why'm I doing it :cry: :?)

Ben!

WhatSharp?
02.05.2003, 17:16
Wow!!!!!! this has got to be the longest post I've made on here :shock: Ben!

AND you stayed on topic ... are you feeling OK?

:D

HBB
02.05.2003, 17:22
*Feels forehead with suspicion to that last comment*

*Yup .... fine :shock*

Thats it Mr. Burgess you're gonna get it tonight. ....

and anyway ....... you went off topic :shock: .... tut tut tut!

I love horn ..... seee ..... still remotely on topic!

Aidan
02.05.2003, 19:24
i really wanted to play cornet.. but my peri teacher (who also happened to be md of the local youth band) put me on horn.. i later found out he needed horns for the youth band... so i left.. :)
but in answer to the question.. iv always been on horn :D

Hilary Mateer
03.05.2003, 00:17
I started on BBb bass.
I took my son to a training band to learn cornet and they found out I could read music and had an estate car that the bass would fit in.
They gave me a battered old 3 valve BBb bass to take home with an even older salvation army tutor book
I have played bass ever since but have now moved onto EEb

the fish
03.05.2003, 09:15
I started on a full sized BBb bass aged 8, I used to have to sit on a pile of cushions & I could just see over the top of it if it was resting on the floor!!

I've never played anything else since.

:wow

Julian

Colin
03.05.2003, 11:10
I started on cornet because I was little but I soon grew out of it. I then spent a while on euphonium before switching to trombone which remains my main instrument. In more recent years, when asked to play other instruments (baritone, euph, etc) I always sought to make them sound like trombones!

michellegarbutt
03.05.2003, 17:45
I started on cornet. When I joined my first band I moved around between cornet, horn, baritone and bass. Wherever we were short really. I've been settled on baritone now for about 7 years. When I taught my godson to play he tried cornet which was too small, baritone which made his arms ache holding it, then finally settled on Bb bass which he rests on a cahir in front of him.

bagpuss
03.05.2003, 23:01
Started off on Euphonium because me and a friend both wanted to learn trombone, there was only one in the school and he had longer arms (true).

Played trombone for several Years with the Ifton Miners Welfare Band, also helped very occassionally on percussion. Played trombone for about 3 months at Crewe Co-op band before they realised I could play percussion and then went on to percussion for another 10 or 11 months.

Joined Wem on trombone and then moved to percussion, helped out loads of other bands along the way too!!!!

B.Puss

wolfey
04.05.2003, 00:39
Started on a King 606 Trom. Now playing bass trom parts on a Bb/F but looking for the real thing.

mel
04.05.2003, 01:18
I started on cornet then moved, so went onto french horn as that was all that was available at my school. Gave up for many years and started back on cornet when my daughter started to play an instrument. That was about 8 years ago, now playing with Wem Band, what more could I ask for.

frisp
05.05.2003, 00:11
Tenor Horn ---> Cornet ----> Eb Bass -----> (many years) Bb Bass

I was going to ask if anyone actually started on the Bass but I'm just amazed by The Fish!

the fish
05.05.2003, 11:13
Tenor Horn ---> Cornet ----> Eb Bass -----> (many years) Bb Bass

I was going to ask if anyone actually started on the Bass but I'm just amazed by The Fish!

You'd think that after all these years I would be able to play it by now, never mind....... :dunno

Regards.

Julian

IckleSop
05.05.2003, 16:39
I started playing cornet when i was 6 and my first besson cornet was 25!!!! not bad hey,
Then the last 4 years ive been on sop!!!
I think all sop players start on cornet or horn.............

Bexy xxx

Stewart
07.05.2003, 14:03
- bari
- euph (while still playing bari in another band)
- Eb Bass (still playing bari)
- euph (gave up the bari)
- trombone (big mistake, was dreadful at it)
- bari (again)
- euph
and finally back to bari again, I think that's where I'm supposed to be but I never seem to get to stay on it :roll:

Nik_The_Insane
07.05.2003, 14:09
hmmm started on cornet and stayed there for 9 years, then decided as the band were short a few player i'd help out where necessary, so far played every position (sop, through to BBb including principals) for various bands except for flugel and percussion!

rutty
07.05.2003, 14:27
My parents bought me a lovely Corton trumpet when I was 6. I was from Checkslov... Czekos... er Eastern Europe you know!

I stayed with that for a bit, then an Uncle got me an Imperial Cornet, with which I insisted on sticking with the trumpet mouthpiece like an idiot. Went back to trumpet again during most of my school days, including playing Principle Cornet with the City of Leeds Senior Schools Brass Band. I also played in four school bands and a Concert Band in Cleckheaton.

Then I joined the RAF and discovered that actually, I'd be better off with a cornet. I joined the Voluntary Band organisation and played with the bands at RAF Locking, Waddington, Halton and Lyneham in my time, eventually sensibly going for a deeper gauge mouthpiece.

I once tried to get a note out of a BBb - no chance. :roll:

Keppler
07.05.2003, 14:35
I think all sop players start on cornet or horn....

Nope.. I started on sop - was the only thing I could get a note out of actually. Moved to Bb a couple of years ago when players were scarce, and now playing first chair (and all the sop cues) for my sins.

Have had a (brief) spell on tenor horn as well.

super_sop
07.05.2003, 16:15
I started playing cornet when i was 6 and my first besson cornet was 25!!!! not bad hey,

Bexy xxx
yep but then we grow up!!!! :lol:

rutty
07.05.2003, 16:16

Bexy xxx
yep but then we grow up!!!! :lol:Some people never grow up ;)

Big Fella
08.05.2003, 12:34
I started playing whilst at school, teacher looked at me, said your'e tall, and handed me a Tuba.

Never really bothered with anything else, who wants to play something that belongs on a key ring fob !!!!!!!!!

Keppler
08.05.2003, 12:37
hehe..

actually - in our learners class we hand out the basses based on which family has the volvo estate.. ;)

sudcornet
08.05.2003, 14:13
I started in 1971 on an old B&H Regent in one of those vertical wooden cases with, like hook and eye clasps.....Ahhhh...nostalgia.
Sud.

yorkie19
08.05.2003, 14:27

I must confess that I dabbled in the Dark Arts of shed-building :evil: and stick-waving :twisted: , but I saw the error of my ways and returned to the light.

Sam

The Judge
08.05.2003, 15:53
I can remember going to join a group of learners at the age of 9. Before I went, my Mum said not to bring home anything bigger than a cornet, as our house was full of kids with not much room for anything else. Needless to say, I came home with a trombone. Played that for another 12 or so years. Had a break and came back a few years ago. The only seat available was on baritone, and have ended up on euph. Still wish I was playing trom, but none of the ******s will leave and I will not move bands cos it'd be a backwards step. Can't have it all, eh?

hornblower
09.05.2003, 13:50
as I'm sure by now everyone knows started on tenor horn.... wanted to play trumpet but only having one arm it was thought it would be too heavy to hold when i was little therefore i ended up on the french horn which was perfect for my left handedness!!!

JessopSmythe
16.05.2003, 00:24
Started playing 3rd cornet aged 6 on a battered old flugel. Hated it and fought with my dad for years until he moved onto bass and let me have his baritone and I worked my way up to solo euph. Taught myself trombone a few years later and fell in love with it even though my peri said "You're a euph player, give up trombone you'll never make it" Since then I've toured in the states with a jazz band, played brecon jazz twice and played a few years champ section, all on trombone! I hope he reads this post :D

Did spend one drunken night carolling with Wem though a few years ago and a certain MD suggested we all swapped instruments. I went from sop to bb flat in one hour via everything in between. Ouch was my lip sore :shock:

ian perks
19.10.2004, 13:17
Cornet then Baritone a short spell on Euph then Baritone ever since:-D

Crazysop
19.10.2004, 17:49
started on a really old cornet then trumpet then a brief spell on euph, then somehow ended up on sop!

Bex_Euph
19.10.2004, 18:12
I started on cornet when I was 9, I played for about a year before my teacher noticed that Ive got no bottem teeth! I hadnt thought to mention it!!! He swiftly moved me onto Euph! :)

BassBoneShep
20.10.2004, 13:16
Started on Trombone at around 11, then Bass Trombone when my Brass teacher told me I would be better on Bass Trom and that he just happended to have one for sale ! Never played anything else, can't be doing with those valve thingys

Syrup
20.10.2004, 13:42
Started on Bb cornet at 8 years old, then in late 20's moved onto Sop. After 5 years on sop had to give up banding due to work. After 3.5 years retirement have just started playing again back on Bb cornet.

Incognito
20.10.2004, 14:31
French Horn!

Ste69
20.10.2004, 15:06
Started on baritone and Euph but then lost my two front teeth and "graduated" to Eb Bass. that was when i was 13 and i've been there ever since.

Sonny Barker
21.10.2004, 00:34
I started on drums in school and mam told me that if I practiced and learned to read music properly, she would buy me a real instrument.

I ... err... still play the drums... although I can now hit them very hard!