PDA

View Full Version : Who owns their own instrument?

spookybiking
30.04.2003, 23:53
how many of you have your own?
i have my own horn had it brand, new besson sovereign now its 4-5years old , before that i had a sovereign my own aswell.

neiltwist
30.04.2003, 23:57
I have my own (well my parents do) bass trombone, is the new besson sov, same as adrian from black dyke plays on!

angie
01.05.2003, 02:33
i have my own but it doesn't love me.it never plays nicely. :(

You wanna blow my what?
01.05.2003, 02:40
I have my own ancient sovereign horn, you know the ones with the blue round cases?! (or should I say boxes!) And I have one from band which is quite old, and then I have a newer one too. All sovereigns. I should give one back to the band....I haven't decided which one I like better!

Singapore Northern Lass
01.05.2003, 05:30
I have my own Sovreign cornet but it's only a medium bore so I should trade it in really, but it's never given me any bother so why get rid????? :D

PeterBale
01.05.2003, 07:47
I have my own saxophone, a Buffet with a lovely, light touch. I've owned it now for at least 30 years, and it has been around a lot longer than that.

For brass I have to rely on the band instruments - I really could not justify the price of a Sovereign BBb!

satchmo shaz
01.05.2003, 08:16
I own all my instruments! and I have around 8 cornets and trumpets also a flugel! (oh and a tenor horn!)

my husband also has 8 varying trombones, some of them antique ones including a G trombone complete with handle! :wink:

PeterBale
01.05.2003, 08:26
I own all my instruments! and I have around 8 cornets and trumpets also a flugel! (oh and a tenor horn!)

my husband also has 8 varying trombones, some of them antique ones including a G trombone complete with handle! :wink:

Wouldn't be much use without it, would it?

frisp
01.05.2003, 08:30
I have my own saxophone, a Buffet with a lovely, light touch. I've owned it now for at least 30 years, and it has been around a lot longer than that.

For brass I have to rely on the band instruments - I really could not justify the price of a Sovereign BBb!

I have my own Sovereign BBb and I couldn't justify the price either-but it's a long story involving parents and filial duty :shock:

satchmo shaz
01.05.2003, 08:43

Wouldn't be much use without it, would it? they often go missing though don't they? I have come across lots of G trombones with the handle missing!

picju96
01.05.2003, 09:14
I have my own trumpet and my own cornet, both bought with my hard earned cash about 2 years ago. I saved for ages for them, and my mates thought I was mad to spend money on 'bits of brass' in their words...

frisp
01.05.2003, 09:16
I have my own trumpet and my own cornet, both bought with my hard earned cash about 2 years ago. I saved for ages for them, and my mates thought I was mad to spend money on 'bits of brass' in their words...

Non-playing mates then!!

You regret the money???

SoloBaritone
01.05.2003, 09:38
I've got my own Courtois Baritone. He's nearly 2 years old now.

Jayne

picju96
01.05.2003, 09:42
You regret the money???

Definately not, my instruments have been the best investment ever!

And yes, they're non playing mates!

sudcornet
01.05.2003, 10:09
I've got a Bb trumpet and a Piccolo that I bought with my holiday pay when I changed jobs and a 6 month old Prestige cornet bought with money from selling an old jeep I had...so I managed to get all the instruments I needed without really breaking into the hard earned, at least that's how I justified it to myself.
Sud.

Keppler
01.05.2003, 10:23
How's the Prestige, Sud?

considering joining this thread with one of them...

sudcornet
01.05.2003, 11:35
Playing wise I can't fault it. Super valves and easy to blow throughout the range, and the main tuning slide trigger is very useful in the upper register, especially as you start to tire. It is the best instrument I've ever played, but I think you need to be used to playing a large bore. (My last cornet was a Sov 928).
The build quality itself is very good, but the laquer...well, I think Roger Webster was looking the other way when he signed the card.
Sud

Keppler
01.05.2003, 11:41
Good stuff

are you on commission by any chance? ;)

super_sop
01.05.2003, 13:26
I have my own yamaha maestro Bb cornet, an olds ambassador Bbcornet and a tatty old trumpet

floral_dance
01.05.2003, 13:44
I have a Besson Sovereign Bbcornet large bore which is all of 2 months old, hubby bought it for my 40th Birthday :)

Aidan
01.05.2003, 14:43
i have my own old sov.. but play on the band one

Sueee
01.05.2003, 15:19
I have my own silver yamaha maestro but only play it for solo performances unfortunately cos we have lacquered coloured instruments at band *gutted* :?

cornetgirl
01.05.2003, 19:22
I own my own Sov cornet and Strad flugel but at band I play the Courtois flug which is a gorgeous instrument with a great sound (my flugel's having a facelift at the moment!). I also have a Holton Symphony trumpet and a Getzen D/Eb trumpet.

Rach x

You wanna blow my what?
01.05.2003, 22:11

I had a sax, but I sold it. I didn't really continue it much after I left 6th form college cos I only played in shows *sigh*

I also have a random violin somewhere, and there's a horrible nasty baritone somewhere in the house, my brother's been forced onto it! PAH!

Daniel Sheard
01.05.2003, 22:59
A bach 42b which served me for many years, and its replacement - a Rath R4F a month or two old. Still being run in.

I played on the band's bach 42b for six months, and then realised what a dud instrument it was.

Daniel Sheard
Northop Silver, North Wakes

Boneman
01.05.2003, 23:04
I have a lovely Yamaha YSBL681B which is 10 years old now - but strangely enough a local solicitors company bought a brand new Trombone for our band a couple of years ago So I now have the pleasure of playing this! (an equally lovely Conn 8H)

Neil Twist - Sorry to see you have to share your instrument with the Bass Trom from Dyke

I have my own (well my parents do) bass trombone, is the new besson sov, same as adrian from black dyke plays on!

I will have a word with the local solicitor and see if they can't sort you out with something!

Hilary Mateer
01.05.2003, 23:55
I have a BE981 Sovereign EEb Tuba which I bought 3 years ago with redundancy money. I got another job straight away so could afford to splash out. I have had some problems with the valves sticking but apart from that I love it. :D
It is the concert model with a lower mouthpipe which I find very comfortable, and no marching rings or lyre holder so I can't possibly march with it. Its a good job as I fell over marching with a band instrument a couple of years ago and made a concertina out of the bell. :twisted:

Apart from this I have an EEb Imperial Bass (nominally my sons but he never plays it) which I do use for marching.

I also have a Yamaha clarinet which was my daughters but I bought it off her as she wasn't playing it and I was( I sold mine for a pittance when I was a student and had run out of money for beer and other essentials and didn't want her to do the same)

Also have a set of recorders (sopranino,descant,treble,tenor), an electric piano and a keyboard.
The only trouble is that I spend so much time banding that I very rarely find time to play my other instruments :cry:

geordiecolin
02.05.2003, 10:47
Alas, I can't afford to own my own Bass. My didgeridoo will have to suffice!

Moy
02.05.2003, 23:12
I own my own Sov cornet and Strad flugel but at band I play the Courtois flug which is a gorgeous instrument with a great sound (my flugel's having a facelift at the moment!). I also have a Holton Symphony trumpet and a Getzen D/Eb trumpet.

Rach x
I own my courtois cornet and play on a band courtois flugel and like you Rach I think it is a great instrument. If it's good enough for Helen Fox it's good enough for me. I wish mine sounded like Helens. :lol:

sparkling_quavers
03.05.2003, 12:58
I have my own silver yamaha maestro but only play it for solo performances unfortunately cos we have lacquered coloured instruments at band *gutted* :?

I really like the maestros as well....really nice tone I think and easier to play than the soverigns (in my opinion anyway! :? ). I play on a band cornet (a soverign)...when I am rich I am going to buy a maestro! 8) I do own my own cornet....a really pants besson student type thing. It's that bad I can't even remember what it is :roll: At the moment my brother plays on it (or to say it sits locked up in his school music cuboard would be more accurate!!)

michellegarbutt
03.05.2003, 17:39
I own a yamaha baritone which my husband bought me for christmas 2 years ago. I get a much better sound on this than on a sovereign. The only problem now is that he seems to think I should buy him a Bb bass in return. He's got no chance.

mel
04.05.2003, 01:23
I have my own sovereign cornet, but use the bands.

stephen2001
04.05.2003, 01:38
I have a Soverign Euphonium and a Blessing Bb Trombones and a Bb/F (can remember the make :?) Trombone that work and were bought for me by my parents, as was another Bb Trombone which doesn't!
The Bb/F Trom I play on now was found for a bargain price at a market for 80 and was, and still is, in perfect order!

You wanna blow my what?
04.05.2003, 01:51
(d'oh) I have my own Conn 11d French Horn, which is pretty ok, but I might be buying a new one :D *excited*

ali_rep@no
05.05.2003, 17:09
i dunt own me own instrument! :cry:
i hire one from the band for a 1 a week! i prob cud have bought my own by now!
i dunt no if any of u does this but if u play a wrong note do you blame it on ur instrument? i do! :P frantically movin ur valves and gettin ur old blue juice out! " stupid valves!" :lol:
ok ill shut up now! i was just curious!
ali xxxxxxxxxx

tubatu
05.05.2003, 19:51
I currently own 3 Eb Basses:- a B&H 400 which was rescued from a school having been severely beaten up, it cost about 50 to get out the worst of the dents and to make it playable; an old Imperial and a 9 year old Sovereign, which I play most of the time.
I also have a La Fleur Marching Euphonium, a Clarinet, several recorders and a Didgeridoo!
Recently I decided to part with my Eb Sousaphone as I needed the space.

HunkySteve
05.05.2003, 20:12
I own my 2 year old Courtois Euph (from new)
I own my 4 year old Courtois 400R Hagmann Symphonie Trom (from new)
My son owns his double bell Hagmann Courtois from new
My wiife owns her Sov Horn (not from new, but replated and spot on)
My daughter owned her Schilke Sop (not from new and now moved on
My daughter owns her own Maestro Cornet from new, its now 6 years old.

We also have sundry other brass thingies around the place (like trumpets, other cornets etc) and also owned all the the previous instruments that preceded wot we use now, so I guess you might say we are quite committed in 'our 'ouse.

We prefer it that way.

HS

HunkySteve
05.05.2003, 20:19
Looking at previous posts, Ali_rep has a good point. Over the last few weeks my excuses for being a cr*p player have been:

a) Valves sticking (Courtois do that sometimes)
b) Cant see music - got to share a stand and glasses work close up
c) my best yet - terminal gout!

Gout is good guys, cos no-one wants to argue cos of the tears running down your chops. Mind you, I reckon giving birth is a close second. Ive not done that you understand but I know someone who has

HS :lol: :lol: :shock:

Bones
05.05.2003, 20:47
It has been said (at least by my wife) that I have been a serial bone collector, but here's the list as it stands.

Conn 89H (yes 89H, it is an imported convertible 88H) which I use for my brass band and quintet duties. Quite simply Gods own instrument. And a 88H wich my late and very dear Grandmother bought me. (God bless her, she would have loved seeing where it has been played)

A Conn 6H with a coprian bell for jazz and swing band work. A Rath R1 for big band work also.

An Amati alto trom to be used for messing about with, as is my Besson 700 Euphonium.

I've recently sold an Edwards and Rath R4 and a Conn 6H as I've decided I need to clear my mortgage rather than add to my trombone store. All good instruments but surplus. Mind you I would dearly love to get my hands on an Elkhart 8H so anyone with a good condition example, get in touch asap. This would be a bonus to my collection.

Cheers

Rich

You wanna blow my what?
06.05.2003, 02:14
Ooh the new Horn has arrived at my house for me to try out :D I'll have to wait til tomorrow! :D

NeilW
06.05.2003, 11:09
I've got a 1974 Sovereign Euph, which I've had for about 10 years. At least, being one of the early ones, its got reasonable valves and is mostly in tune (unlike the Imperials of the early 70's which were dreadful, particularly in the upper register). I bought it a new Hiscox case last year as the blue one was getting very tatty - chose the Hiscox because it fits in my car's boot, whereas the B&H one is too tall.

I have also got a 1920's Boosey & Co Class A, which I still use for marching sometimes as its much lighter - it also has pretty engraving on the bell!

Lastly, I've got a 3-valve German valve bone which is fun in "big bands".

Neil.

AndyCat
06.05.2003, 13:16
I own a Sovereign 992 BBb :D (Best BBb I've ever played). I use this in 10 piece and Big Band, and any orchestra work. Far better in tune than any Sov BBb bass produced since. Also a Yamaha 613H Bull Trom. At Faireys I use their bass, a 994, but it's nowhere near mine to play. Can't be bothered carting mine to every rehearsal though! :roll:

Andy Cat

Nik_The_Insane
06.05.2003, 15:33
hmm I've got my own sovereign Cornet, Tenor horn and Trombone, from when I was playing these positions in various bands, but I must admit I draw the line at buying an Eb Bass. I'm afraid the bands will have to suffice as dented as it is!

Wonky_Baton
06.05.2003, 20:01
I have my own Baton but it broke and is now held together with sticky tape. If I win tMP user name award I might get sponsorship from a baton manufacturer trying to cash in on my fame. :lol:

hornblower
08.05.2003, 11:58
I own a delapadated tenor horn which a mate is trying to ressurect for me... and I was given my Grandad's Concertina - it is stunning, but as I only have one arm can't really play it.... have no idea if it's worth anything though, as I think Grandad would have liked me to get something I could play instead....

euphemism
11.05.2003, 11:38
OK - we own
1 prestige euph - 2 years old
1 flugel
1 tenor horn
1 sov cornet
1 baritone
2 drum kits ('normal' kit - at Satchmo shazzies where we rehearse the dance band and an Arbiter flat kit which I gig with) and a practice kit for me young lad
a couple of guitars (not played much)... too busy practicing other stuff
2 trumpets - altho me better half doesn't know about the red trumpet - it's her Birthday next week.......

And a partridge in a pear tree....

On the Horn
14.05.2003, 16:21
Holy **** could you not just collect stamps ??

Anyway I own 1 Tenor Horn, Besson Soveriegn (is that even slept right ?)
Got it cheap , has 3 lacker stains, manufacturing defect, but it works a treat.

euphemism
16.05.2003, 13:02
Collected stamps as a kid...soon got bored of that !!

Brass and drums are more sociable......

And can tell you the time............

If you wake up in the middle of the night and don't know the time, you start playing the drums - loudly !! One of your neighbours will start yelling - "who's playing the ******* drums at quarter to three in the morning?"

So - you'll know the time - and can quite happily go back to sleep !!!!

:twisted: :wink:

satchmo shaz
16.05.2003, 13:32
Collected stamps as a kid...soon got bored of that !!

Brass and drums are more sociable......

And can tell you the time............

If you wake up in the middle of the night and don't know the time, you start playing the drums - loudly !! One of your neighbours will start yelling - "who's playing the ******* drums at quarter to three in the morning?"

So - you'll know the time - and can quite happily go back to sleep !!!!

:twisted: :wink: . he has tried this......runs in the family....... I have 8 assorted cornets , trumpets and flugels, I mean 9 and my husband has 8 trombones! we also have a piano, a clavinova and a keyboard....... thank goodness all the neighbours like us! we all played on Xmas day outside carl's (euphenism) house in the street and have played in my garden as well!! there's 9 of us who play in the family!! :wink:

blue euph
19.05.2003, 03:04
I own a 1972 Besson 4 valve compensating Euph which was made in England. I got for 2 years ago for only $850us. It plays well esp. in the low register. Last semester I played in a brass quintet which I played the tuba parts as written on euph. which worked great for me and almost made me sound like an Eb tuba :) . The only real problem I have with her is playing mid Eb and F, which are quite sharp. Once a get decent paying job, I'm going to see if I can get a trigger for main tuning slde to solve this annoying problem. I'm in the process of buying a c1948 Bach 42 trombone. Its in pretty good shape, it needs a small inner ding around 5th position taken out and a small ding half way down the bell. It makes me sound like a trombone player. :)

If I had some $$$, I would buy a Besson Prestiage Euph. and a Besson Eb Compensating tuba.

Lyndsay
19.05.2003, 16:07
I am very pleased that I have just bought my first instrument, YSL 682B Yamaha Trombone, (the Bousefield model). As a poor student, had some help from mum and dad, but am proud that I managed to fund more than half of it, along with practice and straight mute!

jinx
19.05.2003, 16:15
I have a drum kit, xylophone, and various other items required for shed building....spent up my student loans to get them and am now paying ridiculous amounts of interest....might have to sell the drums and xylo to pay off the loans....should've got a degree in bad planning!

andy;-)
27.05.2003, 21:30
I have an old (18 years) sov 921 large bore and a pocket trumpet / cornet which is great for when you get called abroad on short notice with work just before major contests as it hides in the bottom of the case.

Euph-Bari
27.05.2003, 23:23
I only got my own euph (a sovereign don't know how old) well my parents bought but when i buy my own soon i'll part exchange it :? ahhh! thats like conning from my parents - ah thats what they are there for :twisted:

JRobertS
28.05.2003, 08:12
I own my own euphonium, a BE2052 Prestige. I also own a Sovereign Bb/F tenor trombone, a very old Boosey & Co euphonium and a cheap tenor horn which I found at an antique shop for 45.

Naomi McFadyen
30.05.2003, 14:24
i have my own drum kit, xylophone, clarinet, saxophone, flute, cornet, electric guitar, folk guitar, classical guitar, bass guitar, keyboard...

Naomi
Percussionist, Leyland

Keppler
30.05.2003, 14:39
i have my own drum kit, xylophone, clarinet, saxophone, flute, cornet, electric guitar, folk guitar, classical guitar, bass guitar, keyboard...

.. on a sesame seed bun..

:? once you start you can't stop, or something..

Naomi McFadyen
30.05.2003, 15:04
exactly! :D

Seedhouse
30.05.2003, 18:57
I've got a brand new Prestige BE2052 Euphonium, 1 DAY OLD! :lol: Its amazing! I feel incredibly lucky to have one, considering the cost of it. But I think its definately worth the money in the long run. :wink:

Aidan
30.05.2003, 19:04

.. on a sesame seed bun..

:? once you start you can't stop, or something..
isnt that pringles ;)

picju96
30.05.2003, 19:23
isnt that pringles ;)

I was just thinking that :D

Euph-Bari
30.05.2003, 19:33
isnt that pringles ;)

I was just thinking that :D

me too :D :shock:

neiltwist
30.05.2003, 19:57
however, it could also be a bike going down a hill with no brakes. :lol:

Euph-Bari
30.05.2003, 20:07
or even being with a beautiful woman :bounce

Despot
30.05.2003, 23:01
or even being with a beautiful woman :bounce

Or so you've been told, eh? :wink: :)

These days I play euph, but have my own Conn 88H, and a saxophone somewhere gathering dust.

Euph-Bari
30.05.2003, 23:14
Or so you've been told, eh? :wink: :)

yeah you don't think some one looking like me (avatar :P )
get beutiful women do ya?

P.S don't look owt like my avatar[/quote]

rnr321
01.06.2003, 01:01
Well I have two sops a yamaha and a concerto sterling but the band bought me a Shilke bb which was lovely but some druggies nicked it so resorted to playing sterling again :( not so nice.

kelemvor
01.06.2003, 03:07
I have my own. I'm on my third one. I started playing Trombone back in 5th grade or so. Then 3 years later my brother started so I gave him mine and I got a new one (or rather my parents bought me a new one). Then 2 years later my sister started so they all got passed down the line.

I think my current one is a King but I'm not sure.

Stewart
08.06.2003, 13:35
I now have my own soverign bari, went a bit mad in band Supplies on Friday and came home with a nice shiny new 955 :D I'll probably end up dropping it at Easingwold or something :shock:

Euph-Bari
08.06.2003, 13:56
i've just got my own courtois euphonium yesterday - its not mine yet, only got it on trial but i think i'll be having it :D

rach marriott
08.06.2003, 19:41
I have my own shiny silver Sovereign cornet (large bore). Fantastic instrument! I'm playing on a Maestro at band though, 'cos our third man look a liking to my cornet & nicked it! Mmmm! Seething!

Singapore Northern Lass
10.06.2003, 03:14
:D In addition to my sovreign 927 I have just purchased a second hand 'Jupiter' Bb trumpet I have absolutely no idea of the model though, any ideas on how to find out? I'd rather have a Vincent Bach but wouldn't we all, I only want it for messing about with at the moment, so it does me.

:P :P :P

BottyBurp
06.09.2003, 14:03
I have my own shiny silver Sovereign cornet (large bore). Fantastic instrument! I'm playing on a Maestro at band though, 'cos our third man look a liking to my cornet & nicked it! Mmmm! Seething!

Yeah, but you've nicked it back now! How selfish!? I sounded half decent on your Sov and now I sound like I've only just passed my Grade VIII...

That Maestro of yours (now mine :cry: ) is absolute C***. Suppose I'm going to have to go and buy myself a cornet...

By the way, have you left Jags, 'cos I've not seen you at practice for a long time? :shock:

IckleSop
06.09.2003, 14:50
I have my very own Shikle which i love to pieces, gone in for a face lift last year and now needs another one!!!!!

My band have a shilke just sat in the cupboard doing nothing and its brand new!!!! at least if mine breaks i can still play the best!!!!

JohnnyEuph
06.09.2003, 16:07
Got me own Prestige euph... And that's a pic of me actually playing it! (for once).

By the way, the gold bits are actually rubbing off, which is pretty cheap!

leisa
06.09.2003, 17:03
I've got my very own Besson prestige cornet. Had to sell a violin, saxophone, tenor horn and old cornet to pay for it but i've got it!!!!

markyboy
06.09.2003, 18:29
I have a Schilke Soprano, a Besson New standard Sop which is about thirty years old, a Getzen long model soprano cornet which is fifteen years old and a Boosey Class A sop which dates between 1915 to 1918.
I'm still waiting to get the valves fixed on the Class A sop so that it is playable again but the Getzen is likely to make an appearance on E-bay quite soon.

markyboy
06.09.2003, 18:35
ps Shouldn't the title of the thread say 'their' not 'there' or has that been mentioned before?

Cantonian
06.09.2003, 19:37
I have a Sovereign Horn I bought just after I started work about 28 years ago. My daughter plays it now and it is better than the seven year old band Sovereign that I now play.

Roger Thorne
06.09.2003, 19:38
ps Shouldn't the title of the thread say 'their' not 'there' or has that been mentioned before?
No sooner said than done!

:wink:

Trom41821
06.09.2003, 20:05
I have a very old Imperial Euph. It was high pitch Bb but with a longer tuning slide it's now OK. It must be about 80 years old by now, though I'm not entirely sure. Is there a site where you can check the age of your instrument?

markyboy
06.09.2003, 22:45
If you look on the Boosey and Hawkes website and send them an email with the serial number, they will be able to tell the year it was made. Thats what they did for me with the old Boosey sop I have.
Hope thats some help to you.

Trom41821
06.09.2003, 23:46
Thanks for that. I'll get looking.

:D

Roger Thorne
07.09.2003, 00:53
I have a very old Imperial Euph. It was high pitch Bb but with a longer tuning slide it's now OK. It must be about 80 years old by now, though I'm not entirely sure. Is there a site where you can check the age of your instrument?
One of our members, Charlie Brighton (Username: Highams) is the man you need to contact. What he doesn't know about Euphoniums isn't worth knowing. I'm sure if you sent him a PM or e-mail he would gladly help you out.
:wink:

BeatTheSheep
07.09.2003, 16:25
I swear by my old Imperial Euph. Frequently. But it's a good instrument for the money.

Steve Marcus
07.09.2003, 20:08
Very few brass bands in the States have their own instruments to lend out, so the individual players generally possess their own.

Common exceptions would be instruments that are not used much outside of the British brass band genre, such as Eb tenor horns, Eb sops, etc. In those cases, a band might own one or two of those more "esoteric" horns and will lend them to players.

If a band has huge coffers (very few do--there's no "lottery" for brass bands in the States), they might consider equipping the band with identical horns for an entire section, e.g. Besson tubas for the Eb and BBb basses.

FWIW, I own my Nirschl 4/4 CC tuba. It's not an "authentic" BBb Bass, but it is a wonderful horn!

markyboy
07.09.2003, 22:44
Hello Steve. Nice to hear from you! Its good to know tMP has now stretched over the pond to the USA.
Interesting posting and I would be love to hear your veiws on the other topics about banding etc.
Its intiguing to know what our American freinds think of the British Brass Band scene, and how it differs from your way of things!

Lauradoll
22.09.2003, 13:25
I've got my own sovereign baritone, which I play at band. Only cos they have 4 valvers and I DON'T do 4th valves. One of life's big mysteries!!!!

Borfeo
22.09.2003, 14:23
4 valve baritones - Bit like having a third nipple :wink:

I have the same kind of feeling about a trigger trombone, not good for me.

Sonor
22.09.2003, 18:14
For the record I have two Sonor Drum Kits. The first one is a stonking Sonor Delite Maple 7 piece in Cherry Red which I have had since April this year. It is all mounted on a Gibraltar three sided rack system with Gibraltar Pedals (including a double) with a complete set of Zildjian A's, K,s and Z's. All protected by Hardcase cases. This I believe is the best kit on the Brass Band circuit and sounds incredible. I very rarely use all of it but because I have all mounted toms it is very versatile and so I mix and match it for the music the Band is playing.

I did have a Pearl Masters Maple Custom, that I had whilst playing at Travelsphere, but hated it and replaced it with the Delite. In my book there is no comparison.

As for the other one it is 12 year old Sonor Force 3000 Birch shell in Scandinavian Birch finish and again is a fantastic kit. This too is rack mounted but I have Gibraltar adnd Pearl pedals to go with it and a full set of Paiste Signature Cymbals.

Finally for practice purposes I have a Yamaha DTExpress II electronic kit which is incredible. I would seriously recommend to any percussionist getting hold of one of these.

Add to that all the accessories I have and sticks etc it basicly adds up to a shed load of stuff worth in region of 13,000.

But hey................. I love my banding and love playing on the best!!!!

Keppler
22.09.2003, 18:26
a stonking Sonor Delite Maple 7 piece in Cherry Red which I have had since April this year. It is all mounted on a Gibraltar three sided rack system with Gibraltar Pedals (including a double) with a complete set of Zildjian A's, K,s and Z's. All protected by Hardcase cases...

.. on a seseme-seed-bun

phew..

I'm out of breath just reading all that...

Brian Kelly
22.09.2003, 23:59
I have never had more than one instrument at once, but I have had my own instrument since I was a teenager.

First was a 2nd-hand Yamaha YBL 321 Bb/F bass trombone bought when I was 15 (my ever-generous Dad paid for half of it)

Next was a brand-new Yamaha YBL 612 Bb/F/Eb bass trombone, an 18th birthday present from my ever-generous Dad).

7 years later I traded it in in part exchange for a new Holton TR181 Bb/F/Gb/D bass trombone, this time bought with my own money!

After 8 happy years, this was traded in for a new Edwards Bb/F/Gb/D, with Thayer valves, and all sorts of customised goodies.

Since March, I have gone back full circle to a Yamaha, this time a new YBL 613H, again Bb/F/Gb/D.

I must be really sad to remember all that!

Sometimes I think that it would be nice to have one (or two, or three...) more, but I don't have that much room, and I don't think I could justify the expense (not on my wages, anyway)

rachael
23.09.2003, 14:51
Yeah I have my own cornet......Yamaha Maestro,which i bought after selling an Olds cornet i had.......found the transition to a larger bore quite difficult,but got there eventually!
My Maestro is now collecting dust in the cupboard :cry: as our band received a lottery grant last year and got a whole new set of instruments,so now playing on a Courtios and sounding good! :D

BassBoneShep
23.09.2003, 15:00
Recently invested in a Holton TR181 Bass Trombone. Tried a few others but wasn't entirely impressed. Bit of an expensive purchase but does have the fleixiblity that I could change bands without worrying about what I could end up playing.
TTFN :roll:

davidquinlan
23.09.2003, 17:22
Bb Trumpet(s) :
Bach 180ML43RL
Bach 180ML37

Bb Cornet :
Antoine Cortois 106XXLR

Eb Soprano Cornet :
Antoine Cortois 107

Piccolo Trumpet:
Selmer Bb/A (about 30 years old or so..)

Keppler
29.10.2003, 12:15
Been waiting for ages to add to this...

Just taken ownership of a shiny new Prestige cornet.

Happy Keps.

PeterBale
29.10.2003, 12:29
Been waiting for ages to add to this...

Just taken ownership of a shiny new Prestige cornet.

Happy Keps.

Should we start a thread on how long it will stay in pristine condition :?: :wink: :lol:

Keppler
29.10.2003, 12:31
longer than that of that poor chap who fell off a stage about three weeks ago, and flattened his 3 week-old Sovereign EEb Bass, I hope

lynchie
29.10.2003, 12:41
I've got my own Conn 88H-O trombone. Beautiful thing...

Got the first dint in it after about 3 weeks from a mystery source (although there were some guilty looking faces) and since has had a long series of little dints. Getting it fixed up pretty again has been on my to do list for about a year now!

BassTromBeast
29.10.2003, 13:11
First instrument I 'owned' was a birthday present from my parents. Vincent Bach Bb/F tenor which was a gorgeous sounding instrument. Then when I turned to the dark side of bass trombone I stuck with Vinny Bark and got myself a 50B2L.
Again a glorious sounding instrument when played well. However, I tend towards the missile launcher technique of bass trombone playing. If the baritones ears aren't bleeding, I'm not loud enough! :lol:

Dolly
29.10.2003, 17:07
I've had various cornets some i owned some from band, ive had a good old Besson International, some Besson beginnery type thing a Soverign and a Courtois but i now have my baby- a Prestige :lol:

CaharleyFarley
29.10.2003, 17:26
I too own a Prestige Cornet....since Feb this year.

The previous post called it a "baby".......must admit that I feel the same way about mine......especially true when you "tuck" it up in that beautiful case, with the velvet cover!!

Vickitorious
29.10.2003, 19:56
I had my brand new sov. tenor horn for my 11th birthday so ive nearly had it 3 years now! It's been fine until recently the valves went really bad :( but thanx to the man at Normans it's working perfectly and sounds great! :D

Dolly
30.10.2003, 12:30
I too own a Prestige Cornet....since Feb this year.

The previous post called it a "baby".......must admit that I feel the same way about mine......especially true when you "tuck" it up in that beautiful case, with the velvet cover!!

I know- how cute is it? No-one else seems to understand why I love it so much!

leisa
30.10.2003, 12:42
cant remember if ive already posted on here!!! Ive got my own prestige and of course its a "baby", what did u think the cover was for?? it is to tuck it up of course!!!!

bennem
30.10.2003, 14:08
Well I have:-

smith watkins Bb with E2 lead pipe
sovereign Eb (an older model with the strange tuning slide in the crook)
pocket cornet (bought too cheap so has some dodgy tuning)
student model Yamaha trumpet
two mandolins
ukulele
and octave mandola

My wife has a Bb clarinet but doesn't play it that often 8)

floral_dance
30.10.2003, 14:36
At the moment apart from my besson sovereign cornet I have a clarinet, bass guitar, lead guitar, piano and if my daughter has her way, drums, but I think this might be one arguement that she will not win. :twisted:

lynchie
30.10.2003, 16:34
well if we're listing everything...

I've got a gorgeous blue yamaha RBX 775 5 string bass guitar, that's my baby!

...sod this blowing lark...

Railybobs
31.10.2003, 20:14
i own my own Drum Kit and other paraphanalia that accompanies it. but the band is seeing less and less of it now Panto season is upon us.

Di
01.11.2003, 22:10
I've got my own sov baritone. I bought it brand new about 15 years ago at half price. :D This was could the shop had ordered a "job lot" of brass instruments and everything else had sold except the baris and he wanted to shift them. Lucky me. :P You can image my horror when about a year later I inadvertantly picked it up by the main slide instead of the body of the instrument. :oops: :cry: Sounds careless I know, but I was about 7 months preggers at the time and could hardly see past my belly. The bell got so crumpled, I couldn't even fit it in the case properly. Thank goodness for instrument insurance and chaps like Joe who straighted out what he could, fixed on a new bell and had it replated, it came back looking like new. :D It took a couple of months and was ready to collect the day after my little bundle arrived. Needless to say, good ole hubby (after a sleepless night with us in the hospital) trotted over to Burton to pick it up and brought it with him on his next visit to show me what a good job they had made of it. There were a few dubious faces in the maternity ward that afternoon!! :?

iancwilx
01.11.2003, 23:05
I bought a very old B&H Imperial EEb Bass (British Throughout it says on the bell !!) 4 Valve EEb Bass circa 1940, to use for home practice.
It really is ancient, but is a beautiful instrument, in great condition, and a pleasure to play, and has no "Wussi" plastic valve guides.
It was built in the old "High Pitch" but has had a conversion to international pitch.
Having used it for quite some time for home practice (years), IMHO you really have to practice at home on the instrument you actually play in the band to fully benefit from your efforts - you learn its quirks and tuning eccentricities.
Basically it's like a relationship - it's a more rewarding partnership the more time you spend together !!
Rest assured - having divorced my ancient friend, I still regard it with great affection and maintain it to the highest standard !!