PDA

View Full Version : Whit Friday Marches

sparkling_quavers
12.04.2003, 13:04
Who is going to be playing at the Whit Friday Marches?

We are getting a scratch band together. If you are not currently going but fancy tagging along you will be made very welcome. We have a coach going from Sheffield. PM me or reply to this thread if you would like any more info. :D :D 8)

Rach

Baldeagle
12.04.2003, 14:21
See you along the route, save me a beer at Delph :guiness

michellegarbutt
12.04.2003, 14:45
I'd certainly be interested if you can let me have some details as soon as possible

cornetgirl
12.04.2003, 17:43
If I can remember when it is I'm interested!

PM me with the details pls!

Rach x

Hilary Mateer
12.04.2003, 22:11
I live in Sheffield so it sounds very tempting. :)
let me know more details please

Hilary Mateer

EEb Bass

HBB
13.04.2003, 14:28
I'll meet up with you guys anyways ........ but I'll try and play ...........

depends where we're playing ....... :S:S:S

Ben ;)

Roger Thorne
13.04.2003, 14:46
If I can remember when it is I'm interested!

Friday 13th June

http://www.whitfriday.brassbands.saddleworth.org/intro.html

:wink:

neiltwist
13.04.2003, 20:23
i'll be up for it! any ideas on marches?

WhatSharp?
14.04.2003, 08:06
Well it looks good for us going. Though we may end up with the smallest band! (we're short about 10 player at the moment) so if anyone in the London area fancies going let me know (send me a pm and I'll let you know the details).

BoozyBTrom
14.04.2003, 09:18
Sadly my band is going so wont be able to play with you guys. But it should be a good day.

sudcornet
14.04.2003, 10:29
I think we're going anyway so can't help out, but I hope a few tMP'ers will make themselves known. There are at least 3 of us in the band...yorkie19, impycornet and myself. I'm difficult to miss....being about a foot taller than everyone else on the back row. It's always a good day out, so we'll look forward to sharing a beer or two with the tMP crowd.
Sud.

sparkling_quavers
14.04.2003, 10:34
well i am definately going to be up for a few drinks! It should be a good day...

I know that myself, Raspberry, Timbloke, Pythagorus and probably GeordieColin will be going along with us and we have had some interest from other tMP members so maybe it might turn out to be a half tMP.com Band!

sparkling_quavers
14.04.2003, 20:38
SCRATCH BAND DETAILS:

We will be rehearsing Thursday 12th June (the day before Marches). The coach leaves at 3pm Friday 13th. Uniform is Black Trousers and Black Jacket with your own Band tie. A can of beer needed for the raffle on the coach and lots of enthusiasm for a great day.

We will still welcome other players!

Some accomodation can be found with Band members.

If you are interested and haven't yet contacted me then either PM me or email xrayx19@hotmail.com.

michellegarbutt
15.04.2003, 17:27
What players are we short of? I might be able to russle up a few more people

sparkling_quavers
16.04.2003, 11:09
Hey Michelle welcome aboard!

Don't worry if I haven't phoned you yet....I am just collecting numbers and then will be phoning around everyone to confirm etc. I will be in touch ASAP (hopefully by next week)

It's early days yet and I don't fore-see us having probs filling the places.

We are looking for a Tenor Trom, Solo Euph, Sop and a BBb Bass currently.

Anyone else interested contact me.

geordiecolin
17.04.2003, 16:01
I've heard that the band's taking shape. which is nice!
if anyone needs a floor to sleep on on thurs/fri night let me know. (be warned, its a student house!!)

sparkling_quavers
18.04.2003, 10:03
I've heard that the band's taking shape.

It certainly is! Have filled the euph and trom spot ! (now just looking for 1 bari, sop and BBb Bass)

if anyone needs a floor to sleep on on thurs/fri night let me know. (be warned, its a student house!!)

u still in that house in Crookes?? That is ok! Have put my name on the list for Ju's so you probably won't have the pleausre of my company Colin!

Raspberry
20.04.2003, 21:50
Am looking forward to Whit Friday. Whats the band going to be called sparkling quavers? :?:

How about Sparkling Brass or Beer n Brass Band?

Any suggestions?

TheMusicMan
20.04.2003, 22:33
How about.... the tMP.com band ... ? :D

Di B
21.04.2003, 18:42
Not sure if Matlock are going along but if not I'll come along on euph! :lol:

To be honest, half the band went down last year to help a local band and although it has been talked about I don't think anything has been done as yet.

Will not know until Sunday now though but if you want to send me a contact number I'll let you know?

Also if Matlock aren't going, then some of their players may also be interested in tagging along?

Di B
21.04.2003, 18:44
It certainly is! Have filled the euph and trom spot ! (now just looking for 1 bari, sop and BBb Bass)

Ooops! didn't see that! *grins* As long as its filled, thats cool :D

Baldeagle
21.04.2003, 23:43
Will be at Denton Club for the last drinks Rach so bring your dosh :guiness PS wot section are you entering? :tup

Baldeagle
21.04.2003, 23:46
We are entering a Carlton Band Organisation Band - Nottingham City Transport & Carlton Brass: :P

sparkling_quavers
21.04.2003, 23:50
Also if Matlock aren't going, then some of their players may also be interested in tagging along?

Hi Di, you are still welcome to come along on euph....the more the merrier...if we have a more than a full band (which it is looking that way!) at least we will be able to get a rest :shock: )

Any of the Matlock players are welcome to come along.........definately ask Jeff coz we need a percussionist!!

PM me and I will send you the full details

sparkling_quavers
21.04.2003, 23:51
We are entering a Carlton Band Organisation Band - Nottingham City Transport & Carlton Brass: :P

Well we will see you all there! 8)

hornblower
22.04.2003, 15:47
See you all down there, as we are hopefully coming as Dunston Silver Band, with a little help from a few friends!

sparkling_quavers
25.04.2003, 10:31
made some more progress! have got another BBb....still need a Sop and Percussion though......any takers????

geordiecolin
26.04.2003, 00:50

u still in that house in Crookes?? That is ok! Have put my name on the list for Ju's so you probably won't have the pleausre of my company Colin!

yeah i don't move til the end of term. in fact, probs the day after whit friday. oh dear. moving house with a hangover :(

michellegarbutt
26.04.2003, 08:05
I'm in favour of tmp.com as a name. Also can anyone provide a floor for four of us to sleep on on the Friday night?

stephen2001
26.04.2003, 10:42
Any chance of a list of who'll be playing in the band Rach???

Cheers!! ;)

sparkling_quavers
26.04.2003, 13:23
Any chance of a list of who'll be playing in the band Rach???

Cheers!! ;)

Yep, I'll post it as soon as I get chance !

cornetgirl
26.04.2003, 15:21
Hi Rach!

Back from Germany and I can't wait for Whit Friday! Will be practising like mad if someone can get me a copy of Ravenswood pls!

Rach x

Straightmute
26.04.2003, 17:28
Hi Rach!

Back from Germany and I can't wait for Whit Friday! Will be practising like mad if someone can get me a copy of Ravenswood pls!

Rach x

I'll have one waiting for you at rehearsal tommorow! It's in the library!

Dx

Hilary Mateer
27.04.2003, 10:28
What marches are we playing? I need to know so I can practise
It looks from the prevous posts as if one of them is Ravenswood but I presume there will be a different one for the road march

If anyone needs a place to sleep in Sheffield I live not too far from Dronfield and have 3 spare double bedrooms with lots of beds in them.
Also got a music practice room with a pool table

Get in touch and let me know if you do - then I can get lots of beer in

geordiecolin
29.04.2003, 10:23
I live in Sheffield and i'm tempted by that offer!! A pool table and a music room...............

Beats my shoddy student house. The bathroom flooded yesterday and all the water went through the ceiling. The living room still isn't dry. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I agree with tmp.com as the bands name. What about lapel badges a la the whitehaven thread??

Sueee
04.05.2003, 13:43
Sellers r goin... so won't b able to play! :( hope will c some of u tho! Depends where we r playin I guess...

geordiecolin
12.05.2003, 15:42
any more info yet rachel? sorry to be a nag!!

sparkling_quavers
12.05.2003, 16:23
any more info yet rachel?

Yeah I will be posting the latest news after the weekend when I have had the chance to have a proper chat with Ju about sorting the details!
We are still looking for sop and percussion... + all others still welcome

anyone interested PM me :D

sparkling_quavers
17.05.2003, 11:07
The Band:

Sop:
Still awaiting confirmation but no worries it is in hand!

Cornets:
Rachel Higginson: Cornetgirl --> harrogate
Tom Whitehurst --> Bestwood
Adrian Wood
Dave Ralph --> Dronfield/Bestwood
Emma Fogerty --> Dronfield
Rachel Langridge: Sparkling_quavers --> Bestwood
Andrew: manx_yessir
Zuzanna Forster --> Dronfield
Rob --> Sacriston Colliery
2 more under confirmation

Flugel
Maria -->Strata Brass

Horns
Sharon Milner --> Bestwood
Hazel Bilby --> Dronfield
Jude Fogerty --> Dronfield
Abi Greenwood: Raspberry --> Bestwood

Baris
Michelle Garbutt Michelle_Garbutt --> Sacriston Colliery
James --> Deepcar

euphs
Stephen Watkins: Stephen_2001 --> Loughborough Students CB
Daniel : Pythagorus --> Dronfield
Neil Watson: NeilW --> Marlow

Troms
Neil: Neiltwist --> Easington Colliery
Gavin --> Sacriston Colliery
Bass: Andy

Bass Eb
Hilary Mateer: Hilary Mateer --> Oughtibridge
Colin Harding: Geordiecolin --> Dronfield

Bass Bb:
Lynn Hawkworth --> Dronfield
Stan Garbutt --> Sacriston Colliery

Some slight changes of plans for the rehearsal. We are now planning to rehearse 6-8 on Sunday 8th June at Dronfields Bandroom (Coal Aston, Derbyshire). I will be contacting you all invidually but thought it would be a good idea to post to latest update here as well. This is due to a good proportion of the scratch now having to do a gig with their own band on the Thursday night!

We will be playing Army of the Nile and Ravenswood.

If anyone thinks it might be easier for them to be picked up enroute and could suggest a viable pick-up point then get back to me and I will see what the bus company is willing to do.

Also anyone wanting overnight accomodation PM me and I will get that sorted ASAP.

PeterBale
19.05.2003, 09:12
The Band:

Troms
Neil: Neiltwist --> Easington Colliery
Gavin --> Sacriston Colliery
Bass: Andy

Neiltwist lowering himself to play tenor trombone :?:

I hope you'll be taking it all down a couple of octaves at the appropriate places :!: :!: :!:

Seriously, though, hope you all have a great time :lol:

neiltwist
19.05.2003, 13:16
well, there's already a bass trom!

PeterBale
19.05.2003, 13:39
well, there's already a bass trom!

But only one :!: - Surely they could have dropped a third cornet somewhere :wink:

neiltwist
19.05.2003, 13:41
i'll borrow a medium bore trombone an show the meaning of laser beam!

geordiecolin
21.05.2003, 16:14
You go for it!!

Well the EEb basses are looking good 8) 8) 2 of sheffield's finest!!

Hilary Mateer
21.05.2003, 19:30
I'd better start practicing the marches soon then :oops:

geordiecolin
27.05.2003, 12:19
Don't forget! Rehearsal on Sunday!! 6 - 8pm @ Coal Aston Village Hall

stephen2001
27.05.2003, 14:48
A week on Sunday I hope?!? :?
OK, big favour time, I know that this is probably highly illegal :oops: but if anyone could possibly scan and email me the Euph part for Army of the Nile, it would be muchos appreciated. PM me and I will let you know my email address.

I will be the one that is late to the rehearsal! :l, uni commitments keeing me in Loughborough until 5:30 at the earliest :(

Cheers :D

sparkling_quavers
27.05.2003, 14:53
A week on Sunday I hope?!? :?

Yes a week on Sunday. I am gonna try and phone round everyone 2NITE so I hope you are alll gonna be in :shock:

Stewart
27.05.2003, 14:54
but if anyone could possibly scan and email me the Euph part for Army of the Nile

If you don't find one by the end of tomorrow let me know and I'll steal a copy from band tomorrow night for you.

Pythagoras
27.05.2003, 15:16
Rachel, I thought I had pm'd you to say that I couldn't do the Whit marches, but as my name is on the list of players, here's another notice. Good luck to everyone whose going, wish I could be there, but will be torturing 15 year olds instead.

sparkling_quavers
27.05.2003, 15:27
Rachel, I thought I had pm'd you to say that I couldn't do the Whit marches, but as my name is on the list of players, here's another notice. Good luck to everyone whose going, wish I could be there, but will be torturing 15 year olds instead.

:? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock:

aaaaaaaaaaargggggggggghhghrhghhhhhhhhh

tubatu
27.05.2003, 15:53
Hope you guys have fun, I'd love to be there, but it's too far :cry: .
I'll have to have a few beers in my local while thinking about you instead :D .
Gary

geordiecolin
29.05.2003, 04:27
SORRY!!!

I've just realised i totally lied about the rehearsal NEXT sunday. it goes to show how organised i really am!!

i had you all worried though i bet!!

i can't be perfect all the time!!!

see on JUNE 8th

sparkling_quavers
01.06.2003, 00:01
a chance of plans for the rehearsal! unforunately we have had to change the rehearsal night. The rehearsal is now going to be monday 9th !!! sorry for having to change this. I know I have spoke to quite a few of you already but I shall be doing the rest of the phoning around tommorrow!!

also if anyone still needs accomodation sorting then if you could let me know by 2moro (when i call) that would be good!

Rach

rickcowens
01.06.2003, 12:22
good luck at whit fridays! u got a spair Eb bass player for whit fri??? could we borow one?

Baldeagle
02.06.2003, 10:42
good luck at whit fridays! u got a spair Eb bass player for whit fri??? could we borow one?

Have a good run and who knows we may even meet up on route for a pint :guiness If not we will see you in Dundee :mrgreen:

sparkling_quavers
09.06.2003, 11:51
We are still looking for someone to hit the bass drum to complete the tMP line up. Anyone wanting to join us PM me. We have a coach from Dronfield on friday and shall be finishing at Dobx Band Club.

Mike Saville
09.06.2003, 12:04
Dobx - marvelous - my brother and I sat there last year and got slowly pickled!

rickcowens
10.06.2003, 20:08
yep and you! it be a good contest at dunde!!

Baldeagle
10.06.2003, 23:30
yep and you! it be a good contest at dunde!!

see you all in the bar :guiness

stephen2001
12.06.2003, 17:15
24 hours 2 go before (hopefully) we will be in Uppermill :D :D :D
28 hours before we will be in Dobross with (another) drink in the hand :D :D :D

michellegarbutt
12.06.2003, 17:28
Please can somebody bring a 2nd cornet copy of Army of the Nile for Rob please. Unfortunatly the one we had has gone missing

RobertJohn
12.06.2003, 17:48
Please can somebody bring a 2nd cornet copy of Army of the Nile for Rob please. Unfortunatly the one we had has gone missing
Hiya michelle and tmp, I do not have ravenswood either.
Regards Robert

michellegarbutt
12.06.2003, 17:55
It's ok Rob We've got Ravenswood for you we just need Army of The Nile.

sparkling_quavers
12.06.2003, 18:41
Hi Rob and welcome to tMP..

don't worry we are bringing the music to use!

Rachel

JessopSmythe
13.06.2003, 01:00
Have fun everyone, can't get away from work but i'll be there in spirit. Have a drink for me.

MattB
13.06.2003, 08:04
Just want to give our best wishes and good luck to tMP.com Brass tonight. If you are doing any Tameside contests or are around Roundthorn later on I hope to see you all there. Love the idea of each member wearing their respective band's uniform. Be proud of your band!!

Matt.